You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gaming pc

slimjim75

• 4 months later...

Looks like a good place to post this. 

One of my offspring is looking at getting an Alienware m15 r3 to do some light gaming on. 

My wife took her to the store and they tried to upsell her on setup etc. I told her I figured that was bs. 

I haven’t had a windows computer in a long time, but I’m sure setup would be fairly straightforward. 

I imagine I would need an antivirus- anything else I would need to add to get it up and running - plus suggestion for antivirus brand etc?

cheers. 

10 minutes ago, Alan Sex said:

One of my offspring is looking at getting an Alienware m15 r3 to do some light gaming on. 

My wife took her to the store and they tried to upsell her on setup etc. I told her I figured that was bs. 

I haven’t had a windows computer in a long time, but I’m sure setup would be fairly straightforward. 

I imagine I would need an antivirus- anything else I would need to add to get it up and running - plus suggestion for antivirus brand etc?

cheers. 

I've just used the built in Windows Defender AV for God knows how long now, never had a problem. Everything else is pretty much plug and play these days, I'm not sure what sort of extra set up would be needed bar turning it on and connecting to wifi. Phones are more annoying to set up.

As for the actual PC, what sort of light gaming are we talking about? That's a seriously expensive laptop- she might be better off with a cheaper one and putting the money saved into a desktop or even a console (although there's a lot of hidden costs in a dedicated games console). As ever though, it depends what sort of games she wants to play and the space she has available.

23 minutes ago, Alan Sex said:

cheers. 

There seems to be a strong shift in gaming towards AMD Ryzen so spending over £1,500 on a gaming laptop with an Intel chip seems both gratuitous and potentially wasteful. You could actually get a seriously great desktop for that amount. 

If laptop is the direction of travel, just a quick glance at Asus who are coming up in the laptop arena - this for £200 less... https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Zephyrus-9-4900HS-GeForce-GTX-1660Ti-lighting/dp/B08CVC5NMD/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Asus+g14&qid=1618082231&sr=8-3

If someone is careful about the sites they visit, Windows Defender is fine and @cloggypop posted a great website for configuring Windows to include preferred software. 

I got a laptop with a GTX 1660 ti in it over a year ago for about 800 euros. It doesn't look as flashy as an Alienware one like. 

I use Windows Defender myself as anti virus. It's free, it works.

Ninite is a great website for saving hours setting up extra software on a new pc. You just tick the boxes and it installs everything for you. Definitely recommended. 

https://ninite.com/

1 hour ago, cloggypop said:

I got a laptop with a GTX 1660 ti in it over a year ago for about 800 euros. It doesn't look as flashy as an Alienware one like. 

I use Windows Defender myself as anti virus. It's free, it works.

Ninite is a great website for saving hours setting up extra software on a new pc. You just tick the boxes and it installs everything for you. Definitely recommended. 

https://ninite.com/

Personally I do think Alienware is all hat and not so much cattle. If I spent £1500 on a laptop I'd expect fireworks on the screen, not around the case. £1500 will get a PC that runs high end gaming at a breeze. That website is very useful. 

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Surely the title should be something more along the lines of "Three days of pain: doing something you've never done before and are clueless about is invariably not as easy as you thought".

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/04/2021 at 13:18, Shooter in the Motor said:

There seems to be a strong shift in gaming towards AMD Ryzen so spending over £1,500 on a gaming laptop with an Intel chip seems both gratuitous and potentially wasteful. You could actually get a seriously great desktop for that amount. 

If laptop is the direction of travel, just a quick glance at Asus who are coming up in the laptop arena - this for £200 less... https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Zephyrus-9-4900HS-GeForce-GTX-1660Ti-lighting/dp/B08CVC5NMD/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Asus+g14&qid=1618082231&sr=8-3

If someone is careful about the sites they visit, Windows Defender is fine and @cloggypop posted a great website for configuring Windows to include preferred software. 

Update time. After returning a third Alienware due to keyboard software issues, I picked up an asus rog strix 17”. 

Will see if that does the trick - better video card and memory than the Alienware. 

22 minutes ago, Alan Sex said:

Update time. After returning a third Alienware due to keyboard software issues, I picked up an asus rog strix 17”. 

Will see if that does the trick - better video card and memory than the Alienware. 

Asus are boss, saying that I got a good deal on a lenovo legion 5 with nvidia 2060 gtx, for around £800. Needs a bigger ssd and double the 8gb ram but good price for the standard. 

Here is a nice guide kept updated by reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace

Lots of info about what sort of spec to look for in a build as well as info on various stuff. Think primarily aimed at builders but info still stands if buying a pre built. Also they have pointed out at top of page these are base line specs and what you would hopefully manage from it.

https://pcmasterrace.org/builds

Oh and Alienware = dell with flash case. Asus ROG tend to be pricey but decent quality.

• Upvote 2