You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you (or have you ever) smoked cigarettes?

Luckily I've never smoked one had 2 drags on the school bus and hated it couldn't see what the point was , Me Dad was a 40 a day man and to see him after work coughing his guts up just reinforced it .

He eventually packed in after doctors advice  in the 70s and lived many more years than he would have done  if he hadn't. 

I've pretty much smoked for the last 38 years. Started with joints, kept on the joints, then added ciggies - Embassy Filter is the greatest cigarette ever by the way - Then eased of the embassy and went on the Silk Cut(yes I know smokers) and then about 10 years ago I packed in smoking a joint and then about 5 years later, I packed in ciggies and moved to vaping.

I vape either 3mg or 0mg and don't particularly want, or feel the need to give up. Its only after moving to vaping did I realise I wasn't addicted to the not so fast nicotine, I am addicted to the habit and process of smoking, not the stuff inside the ciggies or the vapour. 

The odd time I do build up when in certain circles, I've still fuckin got it! It'd take some joint to beat one of my babies. 

Started about 10 years ago when I was 18 and would smoke about 10 a day and probably 20 when I'm drinking. Really ramped up once I started working in 2013ish. Tried a year ago to give up and lasted about a month. Im at the point where i'd like to but Im still enjoying them to even try again. 

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Vaping is the one that gets me. Tuti fruiti and radish flavour, open the window while they're in the car and it's like you're driving behind Thomas the Tank Engine.

They are still more or less ciggies and owned by tobacco companies but marketed in a more palatable way. Vaping is just trying to convince smokers they don't really smoke any more.

35 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

I've pretty much smoked for the last 38 years. Started with joints, kept on the joints, then added ciggies - Embassy Filter is the greatest cigarette ever by the way - Then eased of the embassy and went on the Silk Cut(yes I know smokers) and then about 10 years ago I packed in smoking a joint and then about 5 years later, I packed in ciggies and moved to vaping.

I vape either 3mg or 0mg and don't particularly want, or feel the need to give up. Its only after moving to vaping did I realise I wasn't addicted to the not so fast nicotine, I am addicted to the habit and process of smoking, not the stuff inside the ciggies or the vapour. 

The odd time I do build up when in certain circles, I've still fuckin got it! It'd take some joint to beat one of my babies. 

I've been smoking for 45 years and I'm still last at building one. 

I started smoking at 16. Just cuz college life and everyone did it. Was never a heavy smoker it was just what everyone did. Smoked on and off for years but weed was more my thing until I quit that in my late 20's.

These days I might have the odd one when I'm down the pub or at a party but I go all out on stag do's or weekends away with the lads - mainly cuz a lot of my mates still smoke. Nailing a full deck in a day, then I'll have a hangover from hell and not touch one for months.

Smoked a few at the start of lockdown in March, but not touched one since August this time.

I have no idea if this makes me a smoker or not.

16 minutes ago, Red Banjo said:

I started smoking at 16. Just cuz college life and everyone did it. Was never a heavy smoker it was just what everyone did. Smoked on and off for years but weed was more my thing until I quit that in my late 20's.

These days I might have the odd one when I'm down the pub or at a party but I go all out on stag do's or weekends away with the lads - mainly cuz a lot of my mates still smoke. Nailing a full deck in a day, then I'll have a hangover from hell and not touch one for months.

Smoked a few at the start of lockdown in March, but not touched one since August this time.

I have no idea if this makes me a smoker or not.

Apart from you smoking right now good on you.... 

22 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

Just had a look. £13 for 20 bensons?

how the fuck could you do that everyday? Even allowing for savings from import fags etc, I presume the days of 40/60 a day smokers are gone?

I’m pretty sure they were £8.20 for 20 when I quit in 2011. A 60% increase in a decade 

I think it was £1 for 20 Regal Kings when I stopped.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Everton fan, burn him! 

Weren’t Embassy and Regal the same cigarettes in different coloured packets because football fans are massive flid?

Embassy were a shorter cigarette, though the filter was shorter as well. Regal were smoked by nonces and Noel Edmonds fans(which may be the same thing thinking about it) 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

Embassy were a shorter cigarette, though the filter was shorter as well. Regal were smoked by nonces and Noel Edmonds fans. 

Embassy filter were the shorter ones, there was, and still are, Emabassy King Size and Regal which, I think, are the same cigarettes in different packets because they didn't want to lose sales to football fans.

I'm probably wrong and it's an urban myth, but it makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Embassy filter were the shorter ones, there was, and still are Emabassy King Size and Regal which, I think, are the same cigarettes in different packets because they didn't want to lose sales to football fans.

I'm probably wrong and it's an urban myth, but it makes sense.

Don't know about that, I wouldn't have thought so.

There was a difference in the taste to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm just glad I stopped.

• Upvote 1