You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you (or have you ever) smoked cigarettes?

Just mentioned on the TNF about the money saved by giving up smoking cigarettes about 15 years ago. I used to easily smoke 20 a day and when I stopped a pack cost around £6 for 20. I'm sure I watched someone buy a pack of cigarettes the other day and I heard their bill for fuel go up from £30 to £45. Are cigarettes really £15 per pack?

Do you smoke? How many? Pre-made or roll-ups? Social?

All things cigarette here.

I used to smoke like a chimney, but gave up about 15 years ago for a variety of reasons- health, cost, kids. I'll sometimes have a few on a night out if I'm pissed and I did have a relapse about 6-7 years ago and gave up again using Nicotinell lozenges. Unfortunately, I seem to be addicted to them these days.

They're far too pricey to be something regular now:- at £14 a packet, I'd be spending well over £100 a week if I smoked like I used to.

Back in my student days. Loved smoking French cigarettes on a night out. Gauloises Disc Bleu were my choice. I think Jack Kerouac smoked them. Yes, I was a bit pretentious. A pack was about three quid or something. A pack these days is about £20! 

Haven't smoked in about 20 years and only ever smoked on a night out. Didn't find them addictive at all.

image.png

Twenty a day betweem the ages of fiften and twenty eight, to this idea no idea why?

Pointless exercise.

After years of struggling to quit and hating myself for smoking I read The Allan Carr Method and have not touched one of those filth fucking things for years, nor do I have any desire to.

When I look back I cringe at being so stupid.

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Twenty a day betweem the ages of fiften and twenty eight, to this idea no idea why?

Pointless exercise.

After years of struggling and hating myself for smoking I read The Allan Carr Method and have not touched one of those filth fucking things for years, nor do I have any desire to.

When I look back I cringe at being so stupid.

If he threatened to bum me I'd stop overnight too.

I started social smoking when I was 20 & done it for 20 years, with added bouts of smoking at work etc. Stopped in March this year, mainly due to having a dodgy lung. It's been by far the biggest positive of this virus for me.

I still gasp on a snout when I'm drinking like, I've met ex smackheads who reckon giving up smack was easier.

Starting smoking is probably the biggest regret of my life although not shagging hot Caroline from Sports Direct is up there.

• Upvote 1

Had to swap over to roll ups after the EU banned menthol cigs 6 months ago. Only smoke about 3 or 4 day. Don’t think I’ll ever give up (unless they ban menthol filters) Cheaper now I live abroad, plus people still cain cigs inside bars around here. I still prefer to go outside and have a tab though.

Just now, YorkshireRed said:

Had the odd one when I was younger while out drinking in order to look cool in front of women. 

Stopped this when I realised no amount of smoking would ever make me look cool in front of women. 

This was definitely a Hollywood thing. Smoking looked cool but when doing it yourself it stinks, makes you cough and turns your fingers yellow. Yellow fingers, what the fuck is that?

7 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

This was definitely a Hollywood thing. Smoking looked cool but when doing it yourself it stinks, makes you cough and turns your fingers yellow. Yellow fingers, what the fuck is that?

Yes, I could definitely never pull it off. Tried numerous grips, stances and facial expressions whilst inhaling/exhaling but never got a single fumble in any pub toilet cubicle for my efforts. 

I've stopped this week.i was always a social smoker but over the last ten years its crept up more and more. Last two years I've been in about ten a day, more whrn drinking.

Stopped on Sunday night cold turkey.  Bit agitated but nothing to bad.

My big issue is boozing, even when I was a social smoker once I'd had a pint I was gasping for a cig. Even though I may have done two weeks before that without a cig.

I'm a bit lost really, I know its pathetic for a 40 year old but I still love the feeling of being smashed once a week. Feel like Henry Hill at the end of goodfellas

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

I've stopped this week.i was always a social smoker but over the last ten years its crept up more and more. Last two years I've been in about ten a day, more whrn drinking.

Stopped on Sunday night cold turkey.  Bit agitated but nothing to bad.

My big issue is boozing, even when I was a social smoker once I'd had a pint I was gasping for a cig. Even though I may have done two weeks before that without a cig.

I'm a bit lost really, I know its pathetic for a 40 year old but I still love the feeling of being smashed once a week. Feel like Henry Hill at the end of goodfellas

I got an ecig for when im drinking. It takes a bit of adjusting but its better than craving all night or worse, just avoiding the drink.

Yeah, from about 15 until 33 or so. I'm 40 now. Was never a huge smoker, like max of 10 a day on a normal day, and more when drinking, sometimes significantly more, but there were also periods during those years when I only smoked when drinking. Actually had a couple during the summer one night when I was drinking with a friend.