You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barnes: Klopp would have got Liverpool sack if black or English

Bjornebye

People doubted Klopp in 2017 after the Spurs game needed their head screwed on. It was always obvious the issue was he needed backed for a new keeper and CB. 

If you couldn't see the steps we had been making and how good the front three looked then maybe taking watching the egg chasers would be best

2015 League Cup Final, Europa League final

2016 4th Spot

2017 top of the champions league group at the time of the Spurs game. 

Barnes is normally spot on when talking about race issues broaching it eloquently and balance. I guess what he means is a black Klopp wouldn’t have had the chance to manage Dortmund therefore LFC wouldn’t have hired him because we wouldn’t know who the fucker even was? Jesus, got the potential for getting into the realms of parallel universes this.

4 minutes ago, Halcyon Days said:

Barnes is normally spot on when talking about race issues broaching it eloquently and balance. I guess what he means is a black Klopp wouldn’t have had the chance to manage Dortmund therefore LFC wouldn’t have hired him because we wouldn’t know who the fucker even was? Jesus, got the potential for getting into the realms of parallel universes this.

Not sure that's what he meant. 

He is quite clear, he thinks Klopp would have been sacked in first 2 seasons, if he was black. 

Its a nonsense and people should say as much. 

5 minutes ago, John102 said:

Not sure that's what he meant. 

He is quite clear, he thinks Klopp would have been sacked in first 2 seasons, if he was black. 

Its a nonsense and people should say as much. 

Of course it's nonsense. I mean how many black managers are in top jobs they can get sacked from?

Anyways, it's probably not the best analogy Barnes could have used as we don't sack coaches quickly apart from Roy and Dalglish part 2.

10 hours ago, skaro said:

Thankfully, a much much better player than (social) commentator.

I usually like what barnsie says about race. I think rightly he points at it being a societal issue and while there may be an issue in football, it's a reflection of wider society and until we deal with that, we won't deal with it in football.

He was also on the news in the immediate moments after Clarke quit. Barnes was also saying in that we should not to get hung up on if someone has been caught out using the wrong word (coloured/black etc) and focus more on the intent of the words used. As an example Barnes said because he's south African, Steven Pienaar finds the use of the word black as offensive as he deems himself coloured, but he's called black all the time but not because people intend to offend. It's not something that had much crossed my mind before and certainly made me think about it. Interestingly when I saw Clarke do his press conference about quitting he said it was a slip he done before as he worked in America for a long time where he was expected to use the phrase person of colour. I'd have probably completely dismissed that had it not been for Barnes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

All the garbage, both as managers and human beings, who have bounced from one role to the next without any reckoning for the mess they left behind, and he chooses to highlight Klopp, a man who would be welcomed back with open arms at both his previous clubs, as someone who needs to check his privilege. As choices go, it's up there with those made by the original Digger Barnes (ask your grandparents).

I think people are completely missing the point here. From what I'm reading  Barnes is saying black managers would not have been afforded the backing and trust that Klopp has. He's not said Klopp should have been sacked, far from it. A lot of knickers in a twist over the last 3 pages and his point about society as whole and football being a reflection of it, not the other way around, is being lost.

That's my take anyway.

He is right about the lack of top jobs for a black manager - albeit with the fact that not alot of them have been top quality.

He is also right about the quality of English managers - they have been pretty shite for 40 years or so - besides Paisley I can only think of Clough and Kendall who have won the League and made the final of a EC/CL.

Shirley there must be others?

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

He is right about the lack of top jobs for a black manager - albeit with the fact that not alot of them have been top quality.

He is also right about the quality of English managers - they have been pretty shite for 40 years or so - besides Paisley I can only think of Clough and Kendall who have won the League and made the final of a EC/CL.

Shirley there must be others?

Harry Redknapp won an FA Cup didn't he? Maybe even a League Cup too? Your point still stands though.

18 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I usually like what barnsie says about race. I think rightly he points at it being a societal issue and while there may be an issue in football, it's a reflection of wider society and until we deal with that, we won't deal with it in football.

He was also on the news in the immediate moments after Clarke quit. Barnes was also saying in that we should not to get hung up on if someone has been caught out using the wrong word (coloured/black etc) and focus more on the intent of the words used. As an example Barnes said because he's south African, Steven Pienaar finds the use of the word black as offensive as he deems himself coloured, but he's called black all the time but not because people intend to offend. It's not something that had much crossed my mind before and certainly made me think about it. Interestingly when I saw Clarke do his press conference about quitting he said it was a slip he done before as he worked in America for a long time where he was expected to use the phrase person of colour. I'd have probably completely dismissed that had it not been for Barnes. 

Be that as it may, Barnesy's radar is pretty well off with this particular comment.

Nonetheless, a great guy in general.

And what a player... the winner in the dying seconds against Villa at Anfield in 1990 was well worth my life's savings up to that point in time.

(I also thought his comments about the "harshness" of penalties given these days - after the one Mo was given against West Ham recently - was a very instructive and even-handed opinion.)

4 hours ago, skaro said:

Be that as it may, Barnesy's radar is pretty well off with this particular comment.

Nonetheless, a great guy in general.

And what a player... the winner in the dying seconds against Villa at Anfield in 1990 was well worth my life's savings up to that point in time.

(I also thought his comments about the "harshness" of penalties given these days - after the one Mo was given against West Ham recently - was a very instructive and even-handed opinion.)

Yes mate, as I posted earlier in the thread, he's way off the mark if he thinks klopp kept his job because he's white or perhaps even white & foreign. I honestly think black ex-players get less of an initial opportunity, but I'm not sure once they get the opportunity do they get less time. I can't help but feel his own issues making it into management are tainting his view on this.