You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe Dies

Mudface

Goodnight, sweet prince.

Only Bruno left now from that iconic photo.

Will never forget my Mum saying he always seemed like he would be a gentle man, then getting indignant when I took the piss and saying she obviously only meant she thought he would be gentle towards women.

I’m just about old enough to remember bits about how life was in these parts before he was caught. I certainly recall the scenes in Dewsbury, which is just down the road, when he was arrested. 

Ronald Gregory, who was Chief Inspector of West Yorkshire Police during much of the hunt for the Ripper, was a patient of my dads. According to my mum be treated my dad like his personal physician (my dad was too nice to ever say no). History doesn’t reflect well on him or the force he commanded. Some of the mistakes made can be explained, although not excused, as being a reflection on society at the time. Others were just monumental fuck ups that certainly led to unnecessary deaths. 

We went to dinner with him, his wife and her brother once whilst on holiday in Portugal. As a fanatical supporter of a certain unmentionable team that play in red, I remember listening to stories her brother told about standing on The Kop during the early 50’s, including Anfield's record attendance against Wolves. I don’t remember Peter Sutcliffe being high on on the list of conversation topics that night. 

Anyway, good riddance. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Yes, it doesn’t really add much to the thread topic does it. I had chicken for dinner that night as well. The things you remember...

Well, at least you think it was chicken. 

It was probably chicken. 

Or was it?

Yeah, of course it was. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’m just about old enough to remember bits about how life was in these parts before he was caught. I certainly recall the scenes in Dewsbury, which is just down the road, when he was arrested. 

Ronald Gregory, who was Chief Inspector of West Yorkshire Police during much of the hunt for the Ripper, was a patient of my dads. According to my mum be treated my dad like his personal physician (my dad was too nice to ever say no). History doesn’t reflect well on him or the force he commanded. Some of the mistakes made can be explained, although not excused, as being a reflection on society at the time. Others were just monumental fuck ups that certainly led to unnecessary deaths. 

We went to dinner with him, his wife and her brother once whilst on holiday in Portugal. As a fanatical supporter of a certain unmentionable team that play in red, I remember listening to stories her brother told about standing on The Kop during the early 50’s, including Anfield's record attendance against Wolves. I don’t remember Peter Sutcliffe being high on on the list of conversation topics that night. 

Anyway, good riddance. 

There was no cross county data shared (or very little) back then. If you were of a mind to go out and be a cunt just do it miles away from home and you'd generally be fine unless you were thick as fuck. I bet theirs thousands of sickos walking the streets knowing they committed some hideous crime in another part of the country in the 50's/60's/70's and know they wont ever get caught. 

• Upvote 1