You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Deeney: I question why Liverpool let Gomez go on international duty

TLW

Troy Deeney believes that Liverpool made a mistake in releasing Joe Gomez to go on international duty. 

In a season of crippling injuries, Jurgen Klopp’s side received another potential devastating blow on Wednesday when Joe Gomez went down with a knee injury at England training in preparing for their friendly with the Republic of Ireland on Thursday evening.

The 23 year-old has had his fair share of serious injuries at his time with the Reds including a cruciate ligament injury which saw him ruled out for most of the 2015/6 season.

There has been nothing confirmed about the length of time Gomez will face on the sidelines this time around, but the fact that he went down without any contact will be of great concern to those associated with the club.

Speaking on Talksport (via HITC), the Watford striker openly questioned why Liverpool let Gomez join the England camp in the current circumstances they find themselves in.

“I think when you say meaningless [friendly] you are looking towards England as an establishment and why are we playing these international friendlies right now?

“It’s difficult because we always want the national team to do so well – I just think with the short turnaround with pre-season, the number of injuries Liverpool already have, it could have been one that he missed out. He could have easily not gone. That would have helped everybody else.

The topic of the congested football calendar has been one that has come to the forefront during this campaign with many managers saying that players welfare has seemingly become a secondary issue.

Deeney believes that Liverpool had legitimate grounds for Gomez to not be released for this fixture.

“Its a friendly. There is not a great deal of any importance of it.

“I just don’t understand why Liverpool didn’t say ‘no, we will refuse you to go to this one because of the current crisis’ and I don’t think anyone could have complained.”

gomez8_600.jpg

The sad thing about this is that Gomez was just starting to come into his own with the responsibly of being the leader of the defence in the absence of Virgil Van Dijk.

Klopp who has had to put his World Class managerial qualities to full use early this season will now have  another significant juggling act to perform. 

The incredibly capable but so often injured Joel Matip is the last man standing when it comes to senior central defenders.

Nathaniel Phillips and Rhys Williams are inexperienced but have made huge strides when asked to fill in and there is also Fabinho who is working his way back from a hamstring injury.

Those who follow this fine club know full well that we never do things easily.

Last season was viewed by many as the greatest individual season in the clubs history and for very good reason.

In many ways with the adversity this squad have had to overcome so far, if Jordan Henderson lifts the league trophy in May, it could be viewed on a comparable level.

View full article

12 minutes ago, Jedd Drudge said:

On another day he would have been ripping into us for attempting to stop Gomez going on international duty. 

This. 

I don't know why this article was even posted on here. Fuck Troy Deeney. Doesn't he write a column for the rag now?

• Upvote 6

It comes down to the players to take responsibility.  They should be saying to Southgate you can’t and shouldn’t be playing me.  The stupid thing is that these fucking stupid money grabbing cunt games have actually potentially lost them a first choice centre back for the Euros so it damages them as well.

31 minutes ago, The Guest said:

It comes down to the players to take responsibility.  They should be saying to Southgate you can’t and shouldn’t be playing me.  The stupid thing is that these fucking stupid money grabbing cunt games have actually potentially lost them a first choice centre back for the Euros so it damages them as well.

Its why Southgate got the job. Yet another yes man draped in a cross of St George and its English heritage of glorious failure for half a century.

Because the clubs arent allowed to refuse player release for internationals else they can be sanctioned. There are exceptions due to the covid 19 situation but that wasnt the case here.

The pragmatic side of me thinks the way these injuries are mounting up, Joe would have got that injury in one of our training sessions or games.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Because the clubs arent allowed to refuse player release for internationals else they can be sanctioned. There are exceptions due to the covid 19 situation but that wasnt the case here.

The pragmatic side of me thinks the way these injuries are mounting up, Joe would have got that injury in one of our training sessions or games.

Agree, the fact he had nobody near him when it happened suggests it was an accident waiting to happen, and long term probably more worrying than if it had been an impact injury.

9 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I don’t intend to go back to training, Covid, young child etc.

We will be stopping your wages.

Now I never said I wouldn’t come back next week.

Absolute cunt of a man. Well suited to that fucking rag.

He's an absolute clown. Clearly got no convictions.

On 13/11/2020 at 01:09, General Dryness said:

Because he's a duck, or because you don't know how to post gifs?

Half right,I dont know how to post GIFs. Scrooge McDuck is diving into money and Deeney's bullshit gets him headlines and jobs continuing that bullshit through interviews and media gigs with certain publications. Like Twitter,the more outrageous your views the more hits,publicity and often more chances to espouse them on bigger platforms.

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Half right,I dont know how to post GIFs. Scrooge McDuck is diving into money and Deeney's bullshit gets him headlines and jobs continuing that bullshit through interviews and media gigs with certain publications. Like Twitter,the more outrageous your views the more hits,publicity and often more chances to espouse them on bigger platforms.

1506096489-2266518.jpg