You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Formation options

niallers

Apologies for the new thread. Wanted to condense this conversation into 1 thread. 

What are our options for the foreseeable?

Play Fabinho with Matip is the obvious choice and keep a back 4.

Change to a 3 at the back like we did away at Brighton a few years back, maybe play Henderson and gini either side of Fabinho, as matip will be odds on to get injured again. We're now without 3 of our first choice back 4 so instead of playing inferior players, for wantof a better term, we may as well change formation, keeping our better players on the pitch. 

Either way, we're in for a rough 2 months. 

6 hours ago, niallers said:

Apologies for the new thread. Wanted to condense this conversation into 1 thread. 

What are our options for the foreseeable?

Play Fabinho with Matip is the obvious choice and keep a back 4.

Change to a 3 at the back like we did away at Brighton a few years back, maybe play Henderson and gini either side of Fabinho, as matip will be odds on to get injured again. We're now without 3 of our first choice back 4 so instead of playing inferior players, for wantof a better term, we may as well change formation, keeping our better players on the pitch. 

Either way, we're in for a rough 2 months. 

I think we should just leave this to Klopp. Doesn't matter what we feel or think as ultimately its up to him.

Glad I could be of help.

Sat 21 Nov 2020

• Liverpoolt14.png15:00 t13.pngLeicester
Sat 28 Nov 2020

• Brightont36.png12:30 t14.pngLiverpoolbt.png
Sat 5 Dec 2020

• Liverpoolt14.png15:00 t39.pngWolves
Sat 12 Dec 2020

• Fulhamt54.png15:00 t14.pngLiverpool
Wed 16 Dec 2020

• Liverpoolt14.png20:00 t6.pngSpurs
Sat 19 Dec 2020

• Crystal Palacet31.png15:00 t14.pngLiverpool
Sat 26 Dec 2020

• Liverpoolt14.png15:00 t35.pngWest Brom
Mon 28 Dec 2020

• Newcastle 15:00  Liverpool 

Wasn't sure where to put this article but this thread seems like as good as any.It compares our own boss to Johan Cruyff in some ways and I think I can see why and how we have adapted a similar vision.The video in the article featuring one of the ex keepers is very good too.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/johan-cruyff-barcelona-coach-tactics-pep-guardiola/?utm_source=Coaches%27+Voice&utm_campaign=789cc16e79-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_11_12_06_21&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_cb36640fea-789cc16e79-93366657

4 hours ago, niallers said:

Sat 21 Nov 2020

• Liverpoolt14.png15:00 t13.pngLeicester
Sat 28 Nov 2020

• Brightont36.png12:30 t14.pngLiverpoolbt.png
Sat 5 Dec 2020

• Liverpoolt14.png15:00 t39.pngWolves
Sat 12 Dec 2020

• Fulhamt54.png15:00 t14.pngLiverpool
Wed 16 Dec 2020

• Liverpoolt14.png20:00 t6.pngSpurs
Sat 19 Dec 2020

• Crystal Palacet31.png15:00 t14.pngLiverpool
Sat 26 Dec 2020

• Liverpoolt14.png15:00 t35.pngWest Brom
Mon 28 Dec 2020

• Newcastle 15:00  Liverpool 

Not taking anything for granted, but that isn’t the most difficult of runs. You’d hope players could be rested in 4 of those games, more if you count the CL games. 

I’d assume the likes of Milner, Shaqiri, Tsmiskas, Jones, Williams x2 and Phillips will all get plenty of minutes.

Also got to consider the opposition - would Phillips up against Jimenez or Mitrovic be necessary a bad thing? 

I like the sound of Matip & Fabinho on paper, just got to make sure they both stay fit - especially against Vardy & Kane.

Personally, I think Hendo could do a job at centre back. He’s 6.1, quick, strong & a great organiser. He’d be my 3rd choice & then Phillips or Williams.

We need to have agreed a deal with a club, like VVD, where he signs 1st January & ready to play. Ideally, somebody who could also play in the CL.

Go back to old, old school and whoever is replacing the ones missing, let them put the tops on, of those players missing and wear a beard(Four lions style), to disguise the blag. It'll scare them and we'll win. 

And I'd rather play goalie in and out, if Allison can't play, than play Mr Honeymoon period is over, in goal. 

On 11/11/2020 at 20:18, niallers said:

Change to a 3 at the back like we did away at Brighton a few years back, maybe play Henderson and gini either

Whatever we do, it shouldn't be this.

You see it occasionally, where a team has an injury crisis at CB and so they play 3 at the back to "compensate." But it never works. When you have bad options at centre back, the solution isn't to play more of those bad options.

Kind of disappointed we had to lose Hoever to get Jota tbh. I think this would be the exact kind of situation he would have been perfectly suited for and we'd get to see if he really had something or not. As it is we'll have to make due with some combination of Matip/Fabinho/Philipps/Williams/Koumetio and rotate at the fullbacks as well and just hope the attackers are good enough to pull us through.

It might not be too bad if we could get Thiago fit - that would allow us to play Fabinho at CB (or even RB) and would still be good defensive shielding from the midfield. But one or two more injuries/quarantines and it's going to be very rough indeed.

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Whatever we do, it shouldn't be this.

You see it occasionally, where a team has an injury crisis at CB and so they play 3 at the back to "compensate." But it never works. When you have bad options at centre back, the solution isn't to play more of those bad options.

Kind of disappointed we had to lose Hoever to get Jota tbh. I think this would be the exact kind of situation he would have been perfectly suited for and we'd get to see if he really had something or not. As it is we'll have to make due with some combination of Matip/Fabinho/Philipps/Williams/Koumetio and rotate at the fullbacks as well and just hope the attackers are good enough to pull us through.

It might not be too bad if we could get Thiago fit - that would allow us to play Fabinho at CB (or even RB) and would still be good defensive shielding from the midfield. But one or two more injuries/quarantines and it's going to be very rough indeed.

We did win that game 5.1 and I suppose I should have said that 3 at the back wouldn't be for the entire run of games but 1 or 2.