You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Free transfer defenders

Section_31

Garay was shite when he was good. I can't see any way we'd sign someone like that. It's 6 weeks till the window opens. With the lack of sales at the end of the last window and no date on a return to fans in the stadium, I don't see us breaking the bank for anyone. In fact I think teams will fuck us considering the position we're in. 

My bet is Burnley wanted Wilson but wouldn't pay what we wanted. Tarkowski has a release clause fee for us and another couple of clubs. I reckon we'll offer Wilson and 10m less than the release clause for him. Then if we don't want him, the West hams of this world will give us 40m in the summer. 

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Garay was shite when he was good. I can't see any way we'd sign someone like that. It's 6 weeks till the window opens. With the lack of sales at the end of the last window and no date on a return to fans in the stadium, I don't see us breaking the bank for anyone. In fact I think teams will fuck us considering the position we're in. 

My bet is Burnley wanted Wilson but wouldn't pay what we wanted. Tarkowski has a release clause fee for us and another couple of clubs. I reckon we'll offer Wilson and 10m less than the release clause for him. Then if we don't want him, the West hams of this world will give us 40m in the summer. 

Not an unrealistic shout. Is Tarkowski actually good, though? I'll be damned if I watch Burnley. He's shorter than I thought. Like 6 foot, 6 foot 1. I imagine he's good in the air at least if he plays for Dychey. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Not an unrealistic shout. Is Tarkowski actually good, though? I'll be damned if I watch Burnley. He's shorter than I thought. Like 6 foot, 6 foot 1. I imagine he's good in the air at least if he plays for Dychey. 

I'm not sure if he's any good because Burnley are shit in so many parts of the pitch. They don't defend like us either, so it's pretty tough to tell how he'd do playing with big spaces in behind. But unless there's a centre back on our list who has a release clause, we're getting fucked in January. 

I wonder what dejan thinks about getting off? Hoever too for that matter. 

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm not sure if he's any good because Burnley are shit in so many parts of the pitch. They don't defend like us either, so it's pretty tough to tell how he'd do playing with big spaces in behind. But unless there's a centre back on our list who has a release clause, we're getting fucked in January. 

I wonder what dejan thinks about getting off? Hoever too for that matter. 

Grain of salt, but Whoscored has him at "very strong" at aerial duels and he wins 5.4 per game, which seems massive. So there's that. We may not defend like Burnley, but if he's that good in the air, he could partner Gomez or Virgil, no problem in the future. With the options we have currently, yeah it might be a tough adaptation. I don't know how that would work, You'd think he'd need pace around him. 

As for Lovren, I think it was said he wanted to leave, no? Didn't want to be 4th choice anymore. Hoever, who knows. He's not playing much at Wolves. I assume we sold him because we don't see him playing at CB for our style. He was behind Neco at right back, in the end. 

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Grain of salt, but Whoscored has him at "very strong" at aerial duels and he wins 5.4 per game, which seems massive. So there's that. We may not defend like Burnley, but if he's that good in the air, he could partner Gomez or Virgil, no problem in the future. With the options we have currently, yeah it might be a tough adaptation. I don't know how that would work, You'd think he'd need pace around him. 

As for Lovren, I think it was said he wanted to leave, no? Didn't want to be 4th choice anymore. Hoever, who knows. He's not playing much at Wolves. I assume we sold him because we don't see him playing at CB for our style. He was behind Neco at right back, in the end. 

As I said in the other post, we don't even have to be in for tarkowski for the long haul. He can be like a glorified loan as there'll be loads of mid tier clubs in for him if we aren't keen to hold on to him and it moves Wilson along. 

Sure, lovren didn't want to be 4th choice, but you're not 4th choice for long with matip and Gomez around. Then throw in the vvd injury and the fella would have been starting the next 5 games till he got a cold. 

As I mentioned when we let hoever go, I reckon we'd decided he wasn't ever going to be good enough. But sometimes football is funny, it's just about getting the right chance at the right time. For instance Trent probably wouldn't be the player he is today except for the chance he got due to clynes injuries. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Agree with this. 

Tarkowski has also made it clear that he won't be signing a new contract with Burnley. He's got 18 months on his contract so if Burney wait until the summer they won't get big money for him. 

He's knows the league and he's English so he will help the home grown quota too.  

We need to wrap Matip up in cotton wool. Only play him in selected league games until January. 

If we can keep Fabinho and Thiago fit we will be fine. Fabinho strikes me as a player that will grow in to the centre back role. A central four of Fabinho, Matip Thiago and Henderson will be able to cope against the likes of Leicester, Wolves and Spurs which are our hardest remaining games in the next 7 weeks. 

48 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

He's available I guess. It would seem he is not very valued if nobody has offered him a contract on a free. Unless of course Gini said to him hang on in there 2 of our centre backs are crisp bags. 

I always thought he was a right back to be honest. 

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He's available I guess. It would seem he is not very valued if nobody has offered him a contract on a free. Unless of course Gini said to him hang on in there 2 of our centre backs are crisp bags. 

I always thought he was a right back to be honest. 

Funny you should say that Baz, as it's getting to the stage where we might be playing midfielders in 3/4 of the defensive positions! It looks like we might need 2 CHs in January, at this rate. Though Klopp's unlikely to bring in two, and risk upsetting the squad dynamics.

He's still getting picked for the Dutch squad, so can't be all bad. Very unlikely he gets a game though, what with de Ligt, de Vrijs, Ake, Schuurs etc, never mind Virg before the injury. It's difficult to assess his quality and fitness if he's not getting games anywhere. Also whether he would accept a short-term contract, is another consideration.

Maybe Klopp skipps the short-term options, accepts the financial hit, and takes the plunge and brings in one of the future targets earlier than planned?