You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - FINAL - David Bowie vs Bob Dylan

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - FINAL - David Bowie vs Bob Dylan  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - FINAL - David Bowie vs Bob Dylan

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/11/20 at 16:19

I don’t know how people who can’t play a single instrument can be taken seriously as an artist.  The Jackson’s were manufactured pop music and some record company then followed it up by promoting Michael Jackson using his fame and his singing voice into this legend.  He will have been given the best songwriters and musicians around the world every single time he was putting a song or album together.  If the writers were strong enough or famous enough they would get writing credits.

I think people are right when they say he has had a massive influence on music though.  It’s just that it’s been a horrific one.  He’s one of the main reasons we’ve got xfactor and all these knobheads who can hold a note thinking that’s all you should need.  If you get lucky and a record company gives you a good song by accident then you might get on a roll.  The world is saturated by these dickheads.

Bowie and Dylan are on a different stratosphere to that mollycoddled talentless paedophile.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I don’t know how people who can’t play a single instrument can be taken seriously as an artist.  The Jackson’s were manufactured pop music and some record company then followed it up by promoting Michael Jackson using his fame and his singing voice into this legend.  He will have been given the best songwriters and musicians around the world every single time he was putting a song or album together.  If the writers were strong enough or famous enough they would get writing credits.

I think people are right when they say he has had a massive influence on music though.  It’s just that it’s been a horrific one.  He’s one of the main reasons we’ve got xfactor and all these knobheads who can hold a note thinking that’s all you should need.  If you get lucky and a record company gives you a good song by accident then you might get on a roll.  The world is saturated by these dickheads.

Bowie and Dylan are on a different stratosphere to that mollycoddled talentless paedophile.

Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you... talentless...

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, The Guest said:

I get your general point but I think you've picked the wrong example with Jackson. To criticise a man of his songwriting ability is harsh to say the least. He wrote wrote over 20 number 1s and from an early age was a writer for Berry Gordy and Motown. His work with Quincy Jones was exceptional, If Jacksons not a good enough songwriter to be acknowledged then you're setting a sky high bar.

https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/the-incredible-way-michael-jackson-wrote-music-16799

30 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I get your general point but I think you've picked the wrong example with Jackson. To criticise a man of his songwriting ability is harsh to say the least. He wrote wrote over 20 number 1s and from an early age was a writer for Berry Gordy and Motown. His work with Quincy Jones was exceptional, If Jacksons not a good enough songwriter to be acknowledged then you're setting a sky high bar.

https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/the-incredible-way-michael-jackson-wrote-music-16799

Funny that they don’t include the bit where he sings the lead guitar to Van Halen which is the only reason the song is any good.  Quincy Jones is the talent which was my original point.  Without the best actual musicians in the business around him he’s just another xfactor singer with better PR.  All of his famous good songs were written by other people.  If he actually played instruments himself he wouldn’t be singing beat it for other people to write for him.  There would be some evidence of him actually playing instruments as well.

• Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Funny that they don’t include the bit where he sings the lead guitar to Van Halen which is the only reason the song is any good.  Quincy Jones is the talent which was my original point.  Without the best actual musicians in the business around him he’s just another xfactor singer with better PR.  All of his famous good songs were written by other people.  If he actually played instruments himself he wouldn’t be singing beat it for other people to write for him.  There would be some evidence of him actually playing instruments as well.

I don't understand why people are queuing up to talk utter shite about Michael Jackson. There are a million ways to talk him down without having to resort to this stuff. Mainly that he was an oddball nonce & everything from Bad onwards was patchy at best or plain crap at worst.

Why does everyone have to play a load of instruments anyway? The guy was one of the great singers of soul, disco & popular music, we don't need him to be able to play the piano like Art Tatum or guitar solos like Steve Vai.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Mook said:

I don't understand why people are queuing up to talk utter shite about Michael Jackson. There are a million ways to talk him down without having to resort to this stuff. Mainly that he was an oddball nonce & everything from Bad onwards was patchy at best or plain crap at worst.

Why does everyone have to play a load of instruments anyway? The guy was one of the great singers of soul, disco & popular music, we don't need him to be able to play the piano like Art Tatum or guitar solos like Steve Vai.

Steve Brookstein > Michael Jackson