You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - FINAL - David Bowie vs Bob Dylan

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - FINAL - David Bowie vs Bob Dylan  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - FINAL - David Bowie vs Bob Dylan

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/11/20 at 16:19

9 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Do you mean Mick Ronson? Yeah he had a big input on Transformer. Less so on Mott's (although he later actually joined them, and it ended badly).

Ronson worked with Dylan as well, he was part of the Rolling Thunder Revue band. 

Yes Mick of course, I read he was involved with quite a few artists. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

Fucking Hell, stick on MTV for 20 minutes, every second song/video is a Michael Jackson rip off.

I'm not saying any of it is good or bad but the evidence is all there. His cultural impact is absolutely massive.

He certainly touched a lot of children. People, I meant people.

29 minutes ago, Mook said:

Fucking Hell, stick on MTV for 20 minutes, every second song/video is a Michael Jackson rip off.

I'm not saying any of it is good or bad but the evidence is all there. His cultural impact is absolutely massive.

No man - maybe 35 years ago but there are not fellas walking around with one glove now.

Rappers today are far more culturally important than he was then. Plus he was never the greatest mouthpiece for culture imho.

13 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

No man - maybe 35 years ago but there are not fellas walking around with one glove now.

Rappers today are far more culturally important than he was then. Plus he was never the greatest mouthpiece for culture imho.

Usher, Beyonce, Chris Brown, Justin Timberlake, Drake, Rihanna, Alicia Keys, R Kelly, The Weekend, Kanye West, Jason Derulo, all of them and loads more have done stuff that is practically homage to Michael Jackson.

I can't really be arsed getting into a debate about it because it's so ridiculous, if you can't see the impact he's had on popular culture then I can't really help you.

• Upvote 2

MJ changed the way people performed, is the reference point for pretty much all music videos not to mention his effect on the likes of Bollywood. He was the last megastar in music in my opinion, he was absolutely massive. I'm not even an MJ fan but his cultural impact was beyond colossal. 

The likes of Eminem, Kendrick Lamar and Drake combined are miniscule in comparison. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

That is all understood, and he copped every performance move from folks that we know, and did it well - I don't think in the next 10 or 20 years people will be standing with their fists in the air singing "Your butt is mine."

We can hope though.

Thriller is nearly 40 years old. Off the Wall is over 40 years old. I think it's fair to say people will still be listening to both is 20 years. It's hardly like Jackson is some recent artist. 

Not that it matters much, however, a quick look on Spotify shows Jackson is 70ish most popular artist in the world, whilst Bowie and Dylan are about 250 and 500 respectively. 

I think more people will be singing Jackson in 20 years, than either of those. Whatever that shows is up for debate. 

3 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Bowie, for these reasons.... a catalogue of albums matched only by the Beatles, Led Zep and the Stones. 

R-2029888-1502858357-9221.jpeg.jpg

81EOQCiVKrL._SS500_.jpg

51lAc6kLN4L._AC_SX466_.jpg

220px-Low_(album).jpg

717wsO2kTGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

DavisBowieAladdinSane.jpg

the-rise-and-fall-of-ziggy-stardust-and-the-spiders-from-mars-758x758.jpg

91KTs-UoYtL._AC_SY450_.jpg

81iq05C37SL._AC_SL1300_.jpg

zp6rgz33t6x21.png

Matching the Beatles? Put that glue down. I could tell you about five Bowie songs and about ten times many Beatles without owning any records by either. You like Bowie so fair enough but he's nowhere near the Beatles as an artist but maybe challenges them as individual artists.

2 hours ago, Mook said:

What, there was no shit music before Michael Jackson?

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Matching the Beatles? Put that glue down. I could tell you about five Bowie songs and about ten times many Beatles without owning any records by either. You like Bowie so fair enough but he's nowhere near the Beatles as an artist but maybe challenges them as individual artists.

I love the Beatles they're my favourite band easily. I live a two minute walk from Forthlin Road and a ten minute walk from Menlove. The point I was trying to get across was Bowie is top tier - alongside Dylan, Led Zep, Stones. Bands and artists who have proven themselves over many years and many albums. 

The Beatles are above that, in their own league, I guess. 

3 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I’ve gone for Bowie. I think Dylan has undermined his legacy by the dreadful  live performances of the last 20 years. I stopped going becuase it was so awful to see him murdering the classics. 

I reckon he probably gives a better live performance than Bowie these days.