You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - FINAL - David Bowie vs Bob Dylan

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - FINAL - David Bowie vs Bob Dylan  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - FINAL - David Bowie vs Bob Dylan

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/11/20 at 16:19

2 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I’ve gone for Bowie. I think Dylan has undermined his legacy by the dreadful  live performances of the last 20 years. I stopped going becuase it was so awful to see him murdering the classics. 

Same here. Charging people £90 to drone unintelligibly into the microphone. 

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

Bob. Been listening to him solidly for the last 10 years and there’s still loads of stuff yet to discover. I love the fact that he records a song and then never plays the same way again. If you like a certain song you might find out years later that the recording that you love is in fact inferior. One of my greatest achievements in life is being on planet earth the same time as bob and then being in the same room as him 4 times.

He’s heavily influenced all the artists I like. Springsteen’s first two albums sounded like Dylan cast offs. Neil Young said he avoided listening to Bob Dylan for 10 years, as he was worried he was being to heavily influenced by him. The Beatles started making far better music after hanging around with Bob. 
He should’ve been exempt from this, just like the Beatles were in the groups. 

We saw him at Hyde Park when he played with Neil Young recently. 

He was playing some indecipherable reggae song which was actually Like A Rolling Stone. Took the crowd until half way through to realise.

15 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

We saw him at Hyde Park when he played with Neil Young recently. 

He was playing some indecipherable reggae song which was actually Like A Rolling Stone. Took the crowd until half way through to realise.

I love Dylan but his live performances these days are abysmal and have been for some time, Bowie live was outstanding.

29 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Wait, are you actually saying Michael Jackson had a bigger impact than Dylan and Bowie?

He did culturally yes. Absolutely. Anyone who lived through that period would know what I mean. For fucks sake the cunt was playing aintree racecourse to over 100k people. Even Paul McCartney wouldn't fill that here. 

I appreciate Dylan is great, I've been listening and buying his music for over 30 years. But I can see he can't sing. I can see his live concerts have been fucking shite for as long as I've been old enough to go and just about any cover of a Dylan song is better than his version. And as for Bowie... He was an interesting artist and different in his approach to most others. But I don't see really that he is one of the 2 best solo artists of all time. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He did culturally yes. Absolutely. Anyone who lived through that period would know what I mean. For fucks sake the cunt was playing aintree racecourse to over 100k people. Even Paul McCartney wouldn't fill that here. 

I appreciate Dylan is great, I've been listening and buying his music for over 30 years. But I can see he can't sing. I can see his live concerts have been fucking shite for as long as I've been old enough to go and just about any cover of a Dylan song is better than his version. And as for Bowie... He was an interesting artist and different in his approach to most others. But I don't see really that he is one of the 2 best solo artists of all time. 

Jackson had three good albums. He just doesn't compare to Bowie and Dylan when it comes to quality of musical output. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnsusername said:

Jackson had three good albums. He just doesn't compare to Bowie and Dylan when it comes to quality of musical output. 

He impacted an entire generation. I can see Dylan did to some extent too, but it was before my time so I can't measure that, I would say the Beatles and Elvis were culturally more significant. Bowie never. He was a curiosity for half his career, in fact I would say he's become more popular over thale last 10 or 15 years than he ever was in his peak, he's the middle aged white hipsters choice. I don't know 1 person who had anything put a passing interest in Bowie when he was active and selling records. 

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He impacted an entire generation. I can see Dylan did to some extent too, but it was before my time so I can't measure that, I would say the Beatles and Elvis were culturally more significant. Bowie never. He was a curiosity for half his career, in fact I would say he's become more popular over thale last 10 or 15 years than he ever was in his peak, he's the middle aged white hipsters choice. I don't know 1 person who had anything put a passing interest in Bowie when he was active and selling records. 

Bowie was selling out stadiums throughout the world in the 80s

If Lennon was on this forum he'd have picked Dylan, so would Cash.

Dylan has had as many alter-egos as Bowie, he's re-invented himself so many times, plagiarized, stole, he's never followed any rules except his own but continued to write the best lyrics ever.

His recent "Murder most foul" is breath-taking. He's a Nobel prize winner for literature.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Maybe, maybe not. But it's a music competition and Bowie and Dylan have more and better music than Wacko. 

3 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

With Mark Ronson I believe. 

Do you mean Mick Ronson? Yeah he had a big input on Transformer. Less so on Mott's (although he later actually joined them, and it ended badly).

Ronson worked with Dylan as well, he was part of the Rolling Thunder Revue band. 

48 minutes ago, NoelM said:

If Lennon was on this forum he'd have picked Dylan, so would Cash.

Dylan has had as many alter-egos as Bowie, he's re-invented himself so many times, plagiarized, stole, he's never followed any rules except his own but continued to write the best lyrics ever.

His recent "Murder most foul" is breath-taking. He's a Nobel prize winner for literature.

He'd have picked whoever Yoko told him to pick! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

If I had to start a list of what Michael Jackson wasn't it would go:

Culturally important.

Fucking Hell, stick on MTV for 20 minutes, every second song/video is a Michael Jackson rip off.

I'm not saying any of it is good or bad but the evidence is all there. His cultural impact is absolutely massive.

• Upvote 2