You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - FINAL - David Bowie vs Bob Dylan

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - FINAL - David Bowie vs Bob Dylan  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - FINAL - David Bowie vs Bob Dylan

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/11/20 at 16:19

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Shit final. Neither of these are the best. But I've gone for Bob. 

Possibly the wrongest post ever. 

This is absolutely the correct final. It's a close call between these two and everyone else - even some great artists - are a good distance behind them.

Fucked if I know which way to vote, like.

• Upvote 2

It has to be Dylan he’s the most important figure in pop cultural history of the 20th Century . 
I like Bowie but he’s not even in the same league especially when you consider songs of the power of Blowin in the Wind , The Times they are A-Changin,,  Like a Rolling Stone Hurricane etc etc etc 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bob. Been listening to him solidly for the last 10 years and there’s still loads of stuff yet to discover. I love the fact that he records a song and then never plays the same way again. If you like a certain song you might find out years later that the recording that you love is in fact inferior. One of my greatest achievements in life is being on planet earth the same time as bob and then being in the same room as him 4 times.

He’s heavily influenced all the artists I like. Springsteen’s first two albums sounded like Dylan cast offs. Neil Young said he avoided listening to Bob Dylan for 10 years, as he was worried he was being to heavily influenced by him. The Beatles started making far better music after hanging around with Bob. 
He should’ve been exempt from this, just like the Beatles were in the groups. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This is absolutely the correct final. It's a close call between these two and everyone else - even some great artists - are a good distance behind them.

I think it's a final we expected, I don't think either of them are the greatest personally.

Voted for Bowie as I love his 70s stuff, I find Bob Dylan borderline unlistenable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

I think it's a final we expected, I don't think either of them are the greatest personally.

Voted for Bowie as I love his 70s stuff, I find Bob Dylan borderline unlistenable.

There must be a cover out there that you think is ok? It’s starting to look irrational, like you were abused by a man called Bob and his harmonica. 

5 minutes ago, El Diego said:

There must be a cover out there that you think is ok? It’s starting to look irrational, like you were abused by a man called Bob and his harmonica. 

I love loads of his songs (played by other people), I just struggle listening to him singing, playing guitar or playing the mouthy. 

39 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Sorry, but not having that. They're both good, but I don't see how either of them are the best. It'd be like saying villa and Everton are the best teams England has ever had. 

23 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Who should it be then? 

Dunno, I just don't think it should be either of these two. So for instance, I'd have had cash winning the just the last round before Dylan. But I wouldn't have cash in the last 2 either. While I'd listen to Bowie or Dylan before Michael Jackson, I can appreciate they've not had the same impact Jackson has had. As I say, villa v Everton this one for me. 

39 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Jimmy Cliff covering Hard Rain.

After my post earlier I listened to some Dylan earlier. His voice is worse than I remember, even in the 60s recordings. Would've been Bowie regardless. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Dunno, I just don't think it should be either of these two. So for instance, I'd have had cash winning the just the last round before Dylan. But I wouldn't have cash in the last 2 either. While I'd listen to Bowie or Dylan before Michael Jackson, I can appreciate they've not had the same impact Jackson has had. As I say, villa v Everton this one for me. 

Wait, are you actually saying Michael Jackson had a bigger impact than Dylan and Bowie?

• Upvote 1