You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keane: It is going take a lot to stop Liverpool this season

TLW

Roy Keane maintains that Liverpool are best team in the Premier League despite having a number of obstacles to overcome in the early part of this season.

The Champions played out a 1-1 draw with rivals Man City in a clash which did not reach great heights but after three successive league defeats at the Etihad, there is little doubt that Jurgen Klopp would be the more satisfied of the two managers.

The result sees Liverpool keep their unbeaten run going to seven games since the thumping at Villa Park.

Liverpool have fluctuated between gritty and great during this stretch of form with the manager having to dig deep into his squad with a number of injuries and on Sunday they were at their resilient best.

Keane knows all about what it takes to be successful in this league, and speaking after the game says he liked what he saw from Liverpool as the Metro reported: 

“We know about Liverpool’s quality, but I look at the body language and mind-set and hunger of teams who have won the league, and I see that so much in this Liverpool team.

“I still think it’s going to take a lot to stop this team. I know they’re not at their best, they’re grinding out results. 

“But Jurgen Klopp will be delighted with that result. Winning championships is about dealing with setbacks and disappointments and I saw that with Liverpool today.

But the Man United legend cast significant doubt on Man City reclaiming the league trophy this season.

“I think the big worry for Man City, they are always brilliant to watch, but it’s the lack of goals. I think it will be very difficult for them to win the league.

‘When you look at their squad, to only have two strikers, the board have to be critical of themselves. They only have themselves to blame. I don’t see Man City winning the league this season."

Fellow Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher added that this season is going to be a war of attrition and we are not going to see the kind of points haul that Liverpool and City have produced over the last two seasons.

“It’s a strange season with the lack of a pre-season. ‘But I would say there’s more signs of Liverpool getting to their best than Man City right now.

“I don’t think any team will get the points that we’ve seen in the last two seasons and that’s what gives every team a shout.’

Both Pep Guardiola and Klopp spoke about their frustrations that the five-sub rule was scrapped for this season and the German also touched on length of recovery between games in this condensed schedule.

Jurgen.Klopp1_.jpg

“Let me say it like this. We played after the last international break at 12.30 at Everton. My players were Wednesday night, some of them, at Peru. Then you play at 12.30. These kind of things should not happen. I understand 100 per cent the need of television, 100 per cent. 

“But the Premier League needs to fulfil more the position of the unity of the players as well. Everything changed apart from the fixture list. Usually in a season we all have an October, November and then a very, very tricky December. 

“This year, the October is like the December, the November is like the December and the December is still like the December. This intensity is really difficult. It’s completely normal that you play Saturday, it’s the 12.30 which is the killer.

“We get it, we want to play football 100 per cent with all we have – we need to play football, it’s great for the people, it’s great for us, everything is fine. But Wednesday night and 12.30 should not be allowed.

View full article

• Upvote 1

Ive been impressed with how we've played. Everyone was droning on last season how we never had injuries, despite the fact we did and, how we wouldnt have been able to cope.

The pairings at centre back since Virgil's been out have been very good and I still put that Villa lost down to a combination of luck for them (3 deflected goals) and Hendo not playing.

The fixture scheduling is ridiculous and FIFA's decision to push ahead with the international calendar and 3 international games in a week, a scandal. Even without internationals, clubs competing in Europe would find the going very, very tiring for the players.

Then we have the no 5 subs ruling with the ridiculous claims it benefits the 'bigger' PL clubs. It does not. Those better players are already in the squad, the manager can still select them.

Use your squad more these people shout at Jurgen and his contemporaries yet when they do just that in the FA and EFL Cups, they are disrespecting both cups and the same shouters demand clubs like Liverpool play their 'elite' first teamers. So you cant use your squad for the cups but you must for the PL. No hypocrisy there then!

Eventually, the fixture demands will catch up with those clubs not competing in Europe and they'll have players suffering muscle and hamstring injuries. And it will come in the 2nd half of the season when they are in the midst of their relegation battles unless a U turn is made by the PL. Serves them right if it does happen.

I think there will be some surprising results after each round of European club games as those not in Europe can capitalise on the tiredness of their opps who played while they rested. I expect a few dark horses in this year's title race like Leicester, chelsea and Spurs.

It would be foolish to write city off and still expect them to be our closest challengers.

• Upvote 3

I used to think that the five subs rule was a major benefit to just the big clubs but our CL game against the Danes changed my mind. They ran non-stop all game and whereas you'd normally expect their press to slow up and space to appear for us to exploit in the last 20 minutes they brought on their subs and just carried on. 

On 09/11/2020 at 17:05, aws said:

I used to think that the five subs rule was a major benefit to just the big clubs but our CL game against the Danes changed my mind. They ran non-stop all game and whereas you'd normally expect their press to slow up and space to appear for us to exploit in the last 20 minutes they brought on their subs and just carried on. 

Absolutely spot on, they haven‘t got a player who would get into a EPL team but gave us a game. It‘s a pity there are so many dickheads involved in football here - Clark - as an example; so common sense doesn‘t figure in decision making.

• Like 1

Shearer was banging on about it being hypocrisy saying that as soon as there is a break n the season the big clubs would be flying everywhere to arrange prestige friendlies.

Cant remember when any Premier League club did that. They go to Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc for warm weather training, get a proper sweat on and to relax in the sun but can't remember any team organising big friendlies to make money.

We did one in Australia at the end of the season a few years ago but not halfway through.

The powers that be are certainly not on our side this season, I think it must be the first signs of a power shift. With a makeshift defence it will be difficult to retain the title (but not impossible). If the points total to win the drops to the late 50's the our blue brethren will deffo be in the mix (along with about 14 other teams).

We won't retain the title, too many defensive injuries, Bobbys lack of form, plus the fact that we're not playing very well will catch up with us eventually! Maybe top 4, but not champions!

I still think City will come back strong, Spurs have improved but I still think Maureens game plan is limited, and I don't think Leicester will be able to stay this strong although Vardy will score a shitload again!

For me City will win it!

• Downvote 1