You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atalanta 0 Liverpool 5 (Nov 3 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

This was 2018 all over again and I couldn’t be happier. I really loved this, I’m buzzing off it as it was a proper little trip down recent memory lane.

For all the success we’ve had in the last two seasons in terms of fun and excitement there’s still a part of me that longs for the wild, crazy, blitzkrieg style footy we had on the way to reaching Kiev.

Of course I wouldn’t swap the trophies for anything and I don’t dispute that we’ve become a much more well rounded and resolute team since then, but 2018 was a shitload of fun and the football we played that year was incredible, especially in the Champions League where we broke all kinds of scoring records. This was like that. So much fun, genuinely thrilling stuff.

I don’t know how much of this transformation into the old ‘Red Arrows’ was a result of Atalanta and their naive as fuck “attack attack attack” approach and how much was down to the way we played. It’s probably a big dolloping of both. I’m not going to say too much about Atalanta as I don’t know enough about them. I’m told they’re really good and their record over the last couple of years is impressive, so this is clearly a great result.

It’s how we played that has me so happy. You’re probably as bored with reading my well documented concerns with the front three as I am about writing them. Turns out that all it needed was to replace Firmino and problem solved. Kidding.

I’m being flippant. It’s not that simple and I don’t want to be disrespectful to Bobby because I love the guy. The difference between this front three performance and what we’ve seen for most of the last 12 months was massive though. Atalanta’s wide open approach obviously helped, but it’s not just that. At least that’s my gut feeling.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Jota’s movement for the Mane pass is as good as the pass itself.  You can see him contemplate sprinting in behind but he holds his run and waits until he knows Mane is a second or so from playing it and then off he goes without breaking stride.  It’s usually something that takes months and years to get like a Mcmanaman and Fowler telepathic connection and he’s linking with the Mane and Salah like this already.

We were just too good.  I’m just guessing but I reckon Klopp was leaving them on to let them get some more game time together in preparation for Sunday.  A risky game to play because when you completely twat teams like that the bad tackles can start flying in.  They didn’t to be fair other than the whack Jota took.

• Upvote 1

Good report Dave. Like you, I love Bobby. But I dont think it's a question of teams finding him out. Atalanta have played him before but when he came on, he either didnt chase the ball, stood and watched it go by or as you say, dropped so deep and still giving the ball away.

We all know the shitloads of work Bobby can get through and even his detractors can overlook his lack of goals when he is spraying the ball about or holding it up. But he's just not doing that now and even I think we're playing with 10 men when Bobby's on the pitch.

It really disappoints me to say those things but, Jota has the hunger Bobby isnt showing right now. May be Jota's form may be the catalyst to get him buzzing again? Jurgen is fiercely loyal to his players but even he must know we cannot afford to play city a man light?

Bit surprised you didnt mention the ref's overall performance, waving away that blatant shove on Jones in the box and him booking Jurgen. I think if that was the usual cabal of PL refs he'd rightly have got slagged off.

• Upvote 2

I think we'll need quite of bit of "red arrow" this year to retain and/or regain the League/European Cup.

This result was just the ticket in our season... 4 wins on the bounce since the tragedies at Goodison... and this latest performance a whirlwind.

And the big test on Sunday.

Good times.

Great Jota.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, skaro said:

I think we'll need quite of bit of "red arrow" this year to retain and/or regain the League/European Cup.

This result was just the ticket in our season... 4 wins on the bounce since the tragedies at Goodison... and this latest performance a whirlwind.

And the big test on Sunday.

Good times.

Great josh.

Fixed that for you. .

I must say I wasn't as impressed with Curtis as many on here appear to have been. A great prospect and deserves many more opportunities but he was profligate here although he improved as the game wore on.

What did impress me though was the confidence he showed to respond to Hendo when he was bollocked for losing the ball; turned it back on the skipper blaming the pass he received. Suggests he is seen as a fully fledged member of the first team squad if Hendo was prepared to let rip in the first place.

(The ability to hear interactions between the players/coaches is a small bonus of no crowds)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barnesey said:

I must say I wasn't as impressed with Curtis as many on here appear to have been. A great prospect and deserves many more opportunities but he was profligate here although he improved as the game wore on.

What did impress me though was the confidence he showed to respond to Hendo when he was bollocked for losing the ball; turned it back on the skipper blaming the pass he received. Suggests he is seen as a fully fledged member of the first team squad if Hendo was prepared to let rip in the first place.

(The ability to hear interactions between the players/coaches is a small bonus of no crowds)

I wasn’t either. He is only young though so can and hopefully will improve. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic