You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - Premier League - 8/11/20 - 16:30

Bjornebye

32 minutes ago, sir roger said:

In the gloomy aftermath of Villa and the Goodison derby, you would have offered me consecutive wins over Ajax, Sheffield United, Midgetland, West Ham, a 5-0 at Atalanta and a draw at City I would have ripped your arm off at the roots, never mind snapped your hand off.

Yeah, exactly. Especially with Virgil out and different centre half pairings every game.

Happy with the point.

Our best chance was (like we have in the past at Anfield) blitzing them in quick succession.

We looked good for 2 or 3 in the first 20 minutes... but it wasn't to be.

For most of the second half, both sides looked fucked... conditions looked oppressive, but with a long winter yet to come, this is going to be a season of real attrition, I think.

So a very good point.

• Upvote 2

They spent far too many minutes in the Skysports studio analysing the supposed foul on Sterling in the lead up to our penalty.

The Sterling incident occured over 40 seconds before Mane got fouled and there were 3 different phases of play, because Man City won the ball twice in that period. It was daft for Sky to drum up controversy based on that.

This wasn't a situation like the Origi foul at Old Trafford last season in which United went directly up the other end of the pitch and scored against us in a single phase of play.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Supremolad said:

They spent far too many minutes in the Skysports studio analysing the supposed foul on Sterling in the lead up to our penalty.

The Sterling incident occured over 40 seconds before Mane got fouled and there were 3 different phases of play, because Man City won the ball twice in that period. It was daft for Sky to drum up controversy based on that.

This wasn't a situation like the Origi foul at Old Trafford last season in which United went directly up the other end of the pitch and scored against us in a single phase of play.

It was a foul but the referee played the advantage and it went on too long afterwards to go back to give the free kick , so it was unlucky for them in that sense, but our goal was ages later. Unlike some earlier posters I thought the referee was pretty good on the whole.

55 minutes ago, sir roger said:

It was a foul but the referee played the advantage and it went on too long afterwards to go back to give the free kick , so it was unlucky for them in that sense, but our goal was ages later. Unlike some earlier posters I thought the referee was pretty good on the whole.

I thought he was good too.

We can take our foot off the gas in the CL after the next round of matches provided we don’t get beat.

We are 5 points ahead of City (2 minimum when taking into account their game in hand). We will get 85 points this season which might be enough. If we get 90 points that will be enough.

What the manager has achieved since the Derby has been outstanding. We’ve had to find a totally different way of defending and therefore of playing. We frustrated one of the best teams in the league and soaked up pressure in a way we haven’t for years. 

We are very, very well placed. 

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I cant watch games on my own anymore I dont enjoy it. Im going back to teletext results until the days I can watch it in a group of like minded fans again. 

Love watching footy on my own, Mrs goes upstairs to potter around and she says the whole of the downstairs basically sounds like this. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

We are very, very well placed. 

That's my feeling, we've had a pretty tough run of games to start the season considering Leicester are up next. Take care of them and we'll be very well placed with a run of easier opponents coming up bar Spurs and Wolves.

Given the compressed nature of the season and lack of pre-season I don't think anyone is going to be running away with it and everyone is dropping points. I think we'll end up in the high eighties which might well be enough? I'd quite like an FA Cup this season to keep the trophy haul going.

1 hour ago, clangers said:

That's my feeling, we've had a pretty tough run of games to start the season considering Leicester are up next. Take care of them and we'll be very well placed with a run of easier opponents coming up bar Spurs and Wolves.

Given the compressed nature of the season and lack of pre-season I don't think anyone is going to be running away with it and everyone is dropping points. I think we'll end up in the high eighties which might well be enough? I'd quite like an FA Cup this season to keep the trophy haul going.

Agree with that. We have Palace away as well which won't be easy.

With some big players back though like Thiago and Fabinho it's huge. Matip will be crucial in the coming months, so give Philips and Williams experience where possible and limit the workload on him when the opportunity arises. 

I do think it will be a season where there could be a lot of injuries to big players across the league owing to workload. Trent's injury being case in point. We have already had the injuries so fingers crossed having a near full strength squad throughout December and January could be crucial.

Would be shocked if we needed more than 90 points. I think 85 wins it. Different to other seasons where you felt that you needed around 100 points.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Agree with that. We have Palace away as well which won't be easy.

With some big players back though like Thiago and Fabinho it's huge. Matip will be crucial in the coming months, so give Philips and Williams experience where possible and limit the workload on him when the opportunity arises. 

I do think it will be a season where there could be a lot of injuries to big players across the league owing to workload. Trent's injury being case in point. We have already had the injuries so fingers crossed having a near full strength squad throughout December and January could be crucial.

Would be shocked if we needed more than 90 points. I think 85 wins it. Different to other seasons where you felt that you needed around 100 points.

Good points, Ronnie lad. I think Fab's due back after the international break, hopefully Thiago. Im sure Jurgen will pick and chose the games to play Williams or Phillips at centre back giving Joe or Joel a rest.

2 hours ago, clangers said:

Yep same here. It would be superb to do the double. It's been too long since we got to the cup final. 

We've got better players who will be needing games rather than all kids in the early rounds.