You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 FC Midtjylland 0 (Oct 27 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Is there any point even writing this? In a few months time I think the only person connected to LFC who will even remember this is Rhys Williams. For the rest of us, it’ll be long forgotten. 

I tend to not remember most CL group games at the best of times but this one was a real grind. Hardly anything happened, we didn’t play at all well but I don’t actually care in the least. Pick up the points, move on, get out of the group and then we’ll start making some memories in the knock stages.

This was proper ugly and it could easily have ended with a bad result. They missed a great chance late on when it was only 1-0 and if that had gone in I don’t think we could have had any complaints. I thought they played pretty well and made it difficult for us.

They pressed like madmen and usually had two or three men around the ball at all times. We were awful in the first half and they had the better chances, but I wasn’t worried because we’ve been in this situation countless times and nearly always come through it in the end. Besides, there was no way they could keep up the level of energy they were playing with. They’d tire themselves out eventually, surely?

Actually they didn’t. I thought they were still going strong even at the end. We were definitely much improved in the second half but at no point did we ever look like we were even in third gear, let alone anything higher.

For the most part I’m not bothered about how we played as it really doesn’t matter. Games are coming thick and fast and we probably won’t play anywhere close to our best in most of them. Winning is all that counts, same the big performances for the games we really need them.

However, it is disappointing when players who really had a chance to stake a claim failed to impress. For example, I’m not really arsed how Trent or Robbo play in games like this (Trent was actually brilliant) because we know what they are and that when we need them they’ll answer the bell.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

I don't like Mo's Penalty's.  I mean i love them when they hit the net but i just think a big game is coming and a keeper is just going to stand there and block it.

I prefer Millner and lets not forget Fabino has taken 17 Monaco and never missed. 

Agree that Minimino was disappointing, i keep hoping that this will be the game but it never is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, index1000 said:

I don't like Mo's Penalty's.  I mean i love them when they hit the net but i just think a big game is coming and a keeper is just going to stand there and block it.

I prefer Millner and lets not forget Fabino has taken 17 Monaco and never missed. 

Agree that Minimino was disappointing, i keep hoping that this will be the game but it never is.

He mixes it up really well though and from his run up it's impossible to know where he's putting it. If a keeper saves one it will be because of a lucky guess, as there's not really any kind of trend there and he disguises it so well.

Fabinho took one for us in pre-season and missed didn't he? Think he's been spot on shoot outs though.

• Upvote 1

Fuck me, at least reading the report was easier than it must have been writing it.

I know the big Div ain't a winger but at times he doesn't look like a footballer.

You don't get many chances, when they come along you've got to grab it.

Maybe some of them don't believe they should be here.

• Upvote 1

Couldn’t agree more Dave. Three points and move on. Far too much over-thinking of performances like these goes on. We’ve got big players out, we’re playing every three days, pre-season was short and we need to rotate.

Performance is not an equation where x + y = z; that shit has a million different variables and we’re currently varying just about all of them! 

Six from six is fantastic, no matter who we’ve faced. This is the Champions League, not the fucking Leyland Daf Trophy. And in that context, another six from six versus Atalanta would be incredible. In fact I’d be surprised if we managed it as they’re a good side. 

Either way, we won; roll on West Ham. 

• Upvote 3

At times we seem to be hanging on by our fingernails in games, but, ultimately it’s the result and nothing else that matters, especially because of our injury/lack of adequate cover issues.

Alisson being back is a godsend, there was no way Adrian was stopping that chance in the first half, and the big fella must make the others so much more comfortable being there.

Trent going forward was brilliant, I still think there’s more he can learn defensively that experience will bring him, but currently I can’t think there’s a better attacking full back, whereas Robbo is all round the real deal. 
I like Jota, he looks the part already whereas Minamino and Keita just don’t and, sadly might never, but at least with Taki he cost next to nothing.

I keep hoping there’s a proper striker in Divock, but glimpses won’t cut it and although he’s already in the clubs history with some of the goals he’s scored, his time must be running out.

I sometimes wondered if Shaquiri  has shit in Klopp drawer or something because I do think he’s got more to offer, but for whatever reason he just doesn’t seem to get more time to show it. We obviously don’t see everything behind the scenes so whatever Klopp doesn’t see in him, if indeed that’s the case, I’m certainly not going to question him.

Just seems surprising that a player with his experience isn’t making more of a case to play.

I think some of the kids are doing really well considering, and Rhys Williams strikes me as having the right attitude to deputise given our perilous situation at centre back. He will make mistakes, he’ll be targeted by the opposition and I hope he’s not subjected to some of the shite others have been if he does make mistakes, but I’ll say now, I think he’ll turn out to be a diamond.

We’re still the champions, still the team to beat, but we are being tested to our limits already and as long as we can hang in and grind out the results, with more players fit and, yes, with a couple of additions in January, we’ll still be in with a big say, COVID 19 allowing.

• Upvote 2

Agree with all of the above.

I'm resigned to Keita just being what he is. I don't see him getting any better or worse. This is it.

Minamino I'm not sure about. It's still very early for him and I do see things in him I like. And he was brilliant against us at Anfield. He just needs to find his feet and establish himself. I'm not lumping him in with Keita just yet but it is disappointing when he gets a chance and doesn't do much because Bobby probably needs real competition to give him his edge back.

• Upvote 1

On 28/10/2020 at 18:08, index1000 said:

Fuck you, I only just started getting comfortable with Mo's penalty.  After Leeds he was asked about the pressure of the late penalty and he laughed it off with I've taken them in the CL final. I think he will have something more refined when the next really big one comes around, probably a blast into the top corner.

• dave u unpinned this topic