You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - 2nd Round - Elton John vs Peter Gabriel

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - 2nd Round - Elton John vs Peter Gabriel  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - 2nd Round - Elton John vs Peter Gabriel

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/10/20 at 08:59

11 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Be that as it may your dismissal of a seismic artist with seemingly no knowledge of the work that made him so is shallow.

That is kind of what we do. What I heard of him (the hits) is horrible. I can allow that he may have caused an earthquake or two with his early work, but life is too short.

47 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Bad Manners. 

I actually have a couple of their albums.

51 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Out of curiosity, what is?

Since you ask, may be too long to answer properly, but it's a nice opportunity to talk about myself for six lines. I grew up on (mainly) British new wave and post punk, with what went together with that (ska, reggae) than indie rock, early industrial, alternative, later a lot of related stuff and then to "world music", looking at what I added to my CD collection this century, ended up mostly listening to country (traditional and some alter), Cajun, a lot of Cuban, North African and some African genres, Romanian Gypsy, Irish stuff, trad and rebel. Some jazz, but nothing too crazy. Lately I've noticed I am opening up slightly to opera, but I'm doubtful it would lead to anything much. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I actually have a couple of their albums.

Since you ask, may be too long to answer properly, but it's a nice opportunity to talk about myself for six lines. I grew up on (mainly) British new wave and post punk, with what went together with that (ska, reggae) than indie rock, early industrial, alternative, later a lot of related stuff and then to "world music", looking at what I added to my CD collection this century, ended up mostly listening to country (traditional and some alter), Cajun, a lot of Cuban, North African and some African genres, Romanian Gypsy, Irish stuff, trad and rebel. Some jazz, but nothing too crazy. Lately I've noticed I am opening up slightly to opera, but I'm doubtful it would lead to anything much. 

Reading that, I reckon we would have loads of common ground. 

Allow me a bit of wankery: I guess he means he prefers Erasure’s more generic (a.k.a.boring) take, and that he’s confused by the 7/4 beat of the original, which mirrors the lyric’s theme of stumbling into uncertainty. When the rhythm changes to the more familiar 4/4 in the «son he said, I’ve come to take you home»-part, the song reaches its ecstatic denoument.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Tarwater said:

Allow me a bit of wankery: I guess he means he prefers Erasure’s more generic (a.k.a.boring) take, and that he’s confused by the 7/4 beat of the original, which mirrors the lyric’s theme of stumbling into uncertainty. When the rhythm changes to the more familiar 4/4 in the «son he said, I’ve come to take you home»-part, the song reaches its ecstatic denoument.

Yeah, but try mixing that into Aha for 12 disinterested people on a cold Wednesday evening in  Stavinger. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Tarwater said:

Ok, so the exotic time signature wasn't for him (7/4 is my favourite time signature btw) but I'm not sure where the 'genre' comes in. I'm not even sure the original version of Solsbury Hill belongs a specific genre. Progressive folk music maybe.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mook said:

Ok, so the exotic time signature wasn't for him (7/4 is my favourite time signature btw) but I'm not sure where the 'genre' comes in. I'm not even sure the original version of Solsbury Hill belongs a specific genre. Progressive folk music maybe.

Solsbury Hill is just a pop song, is it not?

47 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

And Peter Gabriel is boredom?? He was at the forefront of world music in pop culture.

I know, and will happily present him with an award for bringing various people to the attention of Western audiences, his own work leaves me unmoved. I liked that soundtrack I mentioned though.

Peter Gabriel's fourth album is such an underrated gem. Still mostly odd enough to put off casual listeners (it's the one before "So") but there are such wonderful tunes on it as well. The Rhythm of the Heat, The Family and the Fishing Net and Wallflower are amongst his finest pieces of work. Rarely gets mentioned either.

• Upvote 1