You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Curbishley and Hodgson

Josef Svejk

I was just revisiting some of the more depressing rumours of old - from our current rather wonderful footballing perspective.

Was it Carragher and/or Gerrard who was rumoured to favour Alan Curbishley's appointment instead of Rafa?

And was it Carragher and/or Gerrard who was rumoured to favour Rafa's replacement with Hodgson?

Or did I imagine any or all of the above?

I can still remember our failed last ditch attempt at signing Carlton Cole on deadline day under Hodgson. I knew then we had hit rock bottom.

Think it was the same day City started chucking billions about for the first time and United signed Berbatov    

West Ham decline Liverpool's £9m Cole bid

Soccernet staff
August 31, 2010

11759.2.jpg
Carlton Cole had looked set to exit West Ham © Getty Images
Enlarge

West Ham United have turned down a deadline day £9 million bid from Liverpool for England striker Carlton Cole.

West Ham rejected the offer, which they had been expecting for some time, because it came too late and left them no chance of signing a replacement.

Roy Hodgson has been desperately searching for a new striker, thwarted in several attempts to buy a player from abroad, and when he finally went for Cole it was unacceptable for the Hammers.

Sunderland and Stoke also bid £9 million, plus £3 million in add-ons, for Cole, but the centre forward would only have quit Upton Park for a bigger club.

West Ham were made aware of Liverpool's interest, initially reported exclusively by Soccernet, only tentatively through third parities.

Ryan Babel had been tipped to sign for the Hammers in a swap deal, but he now seems set to head for Tottenham in a £10 million transfer.

17 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Back in 2010 after guiding us into the relegation zone at one point, what odds that Hodgson would still be managing in the Premier League a decade later?     

Quite low as he was always on the shit managers merry-go-round of which only him and Fat Head Bruce are the last two clinging on for a ride.

25 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Quite low as he was always on the shit managers merry-go-round of which only him and Fat Head Bruce are the last two clinging on for a ride.

He was, with Pulis, McCarthy, Curbishley, Pardew etc- I would never had said after the shitfest here that he would get the England job plus more than one Premier League job.    

6 hours ago, Elite said:

Sounds like one of those crap detective movies Channel 5 stick on in the afternoons.

An inept detective duo who set out to solve a grisly murder, but get sidetracked along the way and end up sitting in deckchairs in Curb's back garden sipping mimosas and discussing Philip Roth novels.

I'd watch the hell out of that, to be fair.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

An inept detective duo who set out to solve a grisly murder, but get sidetracked along the way and end up sitting in deckchairs in Curb's back garden sipping mimosas and discussing Philip Roth novels.

I'd watch the hell out of that, to be fair.

Alibi would probably show it (over and over and...)

3 minutes ago, Elite said:

Hodgson's mannerisms could be as iconic as Jack Bauer's "Damn it."

Be great watching him become more and more animated in the interrogation room as he's struggling to crack the suspect.

"This body weminds me of Damien Duff, his clothes soaked red like a full bodied Noir Sancerre that I might from time to time like to share with Sir Alex, earlier in my career this was often accompanied by a chees board"

"Smorgasbord?"

"No, Malmo." 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Elite said:

Be great watching him become more and more animated in the interrogation room as he's struggling to crack the suspect.

“Unbelievable. What do you mean by that? In 35 years, how many cases have I had? What do you mean do my methods translate? They have translated from murder cases to fraud, to homicide and cyber crimes. I once investigated the Swiss mafia, so I find the question insulting. To suggest that because I have moved from one case to another without ever solving one, that the methods which have stood me in good stead for 35 years and made me one of the most respected detectives in Europe don’t suddenly work is very hard to believe.”

• Upvote 4

I remember when Brian Reade wrote this in 2004 about Martin O'Neill. To be fair O'Neill was flying pretty high back then. But if we'd have never got Rafa I wonder how the last 15 years would have panned out? 

When either Liverpool or Newcastle fail to grab fourth spot, and are denied Champions League revenue for a second year running, how much pressure will be on the board to bring in someone who can take them to the next level? And who will be the first name on their lips?

The same first name Tottenham came up with recently. The same one Leeds, Everton and Nottingham Forest wanted four years ago, but who knocked them back in favour of Celtic, so he could bolster his reputation as a championship winner, and be ready for the time when the really big boys come knocking.

Which is surely this summer. O'Neill has been kicking his heels in Scotland for four years now, and has just turned 52. He is about to lose his only world-class player in Henrik Larsson, knows Chris Sutton and John Hartson have seen better days, can't hold on to young talent like Liam Miller, has a transfer budget based on a paltry £2.5million TV revenue and knows Celtic's hope of achieving its true potential by joining the English Premiership is light years away.

His tenure has peaked and he knows it. So he sits up there, clutching a rolling one-year contract, watching his currency increase with his and Wenger's every win, waiting for the right suitor.

He is a motivator, an organiser and a winner. He's on a 74-game unbeaten run at Parkhead and he's done it by playing football the only way that Celtic fans would allow. Swiftly and accurately on the deck.

There are some supporters in Liverpool, Newcastle and even Manchester, unhappy with the way their team are going, who hope their side carry on underachieving so the board is forced to move for O'Neill this summer. Mainly because they fear what he can do for their great rivals.

They know that as sure as Bent As A Nine-Bob Note will pop up at the winner's post somewhere today, so O'Neill will pop up at a big Premiership club next season, and motivate them into the same league as Arsenal.

This summer one chairman will take a brave decision while the others falter.

And the next great English club side but one will be decided.