You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rangers/Stevie Gerrard 2020/21

Baltar

On 27/02/2021 at 08:39, sir roger said:

Very difficult to think of too many clubs that would be a bridge to a possible Liverpool return for Steven at this point , as he doesn't really strike me as a go to Spain or Italy type , the Championship is a wild and wooĺly league and few lower Prem teams give him much more than a 'stay in the division ' remit. Wolves , Leicester , Newcastle , Leeds or Villa might give him interesting projects for varying reasons , but he is possibly better giving Rangers a bit longer with a chance to presumably coach in the CL , a closer league tussle with Celtic having to spend money and learning how to husband resources to finally win cups.

I'll be honest , I never expected him to be a top manager and have a chance of returning , but his work in the Europa and his seeming maturing as a man manager over his time at Rangers has now made me reconsider.

I had similar thoughts when Kenny first took over as manager. Although Joe often referred to 'keeping the seat warm for a younger man' I never saw Kenny as manager.

When it became clear he was going to become Liverpool manager and still play, I was fearful of the task he was taking on post Heysel and, if he did fail, that it would damage his reputation.

It's history how it worked out. Even his 2nd spell and sacking doesnt put a dent in the man's reputation.

Ive seen Stevie described as an introvert and such that that would stop him being a great manager. I think stevie is head and shoulders above his contemporary young English managers. Lampard tried running before he could walk. Rooney is making tentative steps. Not that I like the guy but it will be interesting to see how he develops.

The world and his wife knows Stevie is nailed on for the Liverpool job, sometime in the future if he wants it.

Will he be a great manager? Who knows. But it wont be for the want of trying.

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Marco Rose is taking the Dortmund job, but that would have been a great challenge for him. A club like that would be the perfect next step. He shouldn't go to some mediocre Premier League team. 

Don't think he will leave Rangers after guiding them to CL this season once they win the league. He'll want to manage in the CL next season and test himself and if he does well in that, I think we can see him move to either Germany or the PL for a few years before we can consider him and vice versa.

He needs to stay up there one maybe two more years to assert his dominance also to show what he can do in Champions league before jumping ship. Going to a mid table prem league club will tell us nothing at this point. He’s a million miles away from the Anfield hot seat needs at least 10 years elsewhere before his credentials if any shine through.

The timing would be good in 2024 - Pochettino had 5 years under his belt and had won nothing, Simeone 5 years and two titles in Argentina. Hell Rodgers had three years experience and had a promotion in his trophy cabinet.

If he continues to have success at Rangers he will have enough experience to be seriously considered. For me what he has done in Scotland is already more impressive than what Rodgers achieved.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

The timing would be good in 2024 - Pochettino had 5 years under his belt and had won nothing, Simeone 5 years and two titles in Argentina. Hell Rodgers had three years experience and had a promotion in his trophy cabinet.

If he continues to have success at Rangers he will have enough experience to be seriously considered. For me what he has done in Scotland is already more impressive than what Rodgers achieved.

It definitely is more impressive in Scotland but as much as I dont like Rodgers,Rodgers has a decent record in English football and I'd like Gerrard to build one first too. Comparing Dalglish stepping up versus the current way the top division is run is chalk and cheese. We already had a decades old record of continuity and success,over the last decade its been a rollercoaster with as many lows as highs. Dalglish didnt have to deal with that while Gerrard would. I hope to see Gerrard manage us but not for a few seasons yet.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KMD7 said:

One thing I'm struck by when I ever see him interviewed is how intelligent he is.  He always comes across well. 

When him and Carragher were playing it always seemed to me that Carragher would be far more likely to go into management. By all accounts he had/has a bit of a football statto mindset and talked about the game endlessly. Stevie while an intelligent footballer seemed to do everything naturally. He never gave the impression that he'd go into management. 

Seems that Stevie is becoming quite a good manager, while Carragher is now a professional gobshite. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

When him and Carragher were playing it always seemed to me that Carragher would be far more likely to go into management. By all accounts he had/has a bit of a football statto mindset and talked about the game endlessly. Stevie while an intelligent footballer seemed to do everything naturally. He never gave the impression that he'd go into management. 

Seems that Stevie is becoming quite a good manager, while Carragher is now a professional gobshite. 

Why is Carragher a gobshite? 

16 minutes ago, Moo said:

I though Rangers need 4 points? Why is today D Day when Celtic don't play until tomorrow?  What am I missing?

They were obviously convinced that Rangers would get 3 points today (which they did). Rangers only need one more point from their remaining 6 games, and Celtic have to win all their games. It's as good as done, similar to when Man City needed a win at Chelsea last season to keep tht title race alive.  They've been by far the best side up in Scotland this season, and haven't been too shoddy in Europe either. It might be the Europa League so they haven't come up against any team that is outstanding, but they've still done the business in a convincing manner rather than scraping results the way Scottish teams normally do in Europe.

It's been over since 2nd January and fully deserved. Sick to the stomach because I hate the bastards with every fibre of my being but credit where it's due. And I'm not just saying that because of Gerrard. They've been by far the better side. 

• Upvote 1

Bittersweet seeing him do well up there. Great seeing him getting all the credit, shame it’s with them.

To be fair, he’s done amazing in transforming them and he’s punched way above his weight in Europe the last 2

seasons. If he manages to get them out of the CL groups next season then his reputation will rocket.

After worrying about the parallels with our last great midfielder who came to manage us from rangers, he might just be what we need when Jurgen steps down. 

There’s no one out there right now you’d think would be a success here and unless the likes of arsenal or spurs come in for him and give him a go, we might be the right club at the right time for him. 

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

Bittersweet seeing him do well up there. Great seeing him getting all the credit, shame it’s with them.

To be fair, he’s done amazing in transforming them and he’s punched way above his weight in Europe the last 2

seasons. If he manages to get them out of the CL groups next season then his reputation will rocket.

After worrying about the parallels with our last great midfielder who came to manage us from rangers, he might just be what we need when Jurgen steps down. 

There’s no one out there right now you’d think would be a success here and unless the likes of arsenal or spurs come in for him and give him a go, we might be the right club at the right time for him. 

Nah, Newcastle the natural next step.