You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rangers/Stevie Gerrard 2020/21

Baltar

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

i am assuming you mean a big league. fucking hell, rangers are fucking massive. one of the benefits of him being at Rangers is in many ways it is a similar experience to here, in so much that losing isn't tolerable and you are living life in a goldfish bowl of a city where the only thing that matters to people is what happens when their team goes on the pitch. 

personally i think he needs to carry on at rangers when the crowds are back in, because this season is not a reflection of football under pressure. 

There are like 20 bigger clubs than Rangers. They're a big club like Red Star Belgrade are a big club. Sure, he should eventually go to a big club in a big league, if you will. Maybe the year after he manages Rangers in the Champions League next season. 

46 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There are like 20 bigger clubs than Rangers. They're a big club like Red Star Belgrade are a big club. Sure, he should eventually go to a big club in a big league, if you will. Maybe the year after he manages Rangers in the Champions League next season. 

i don't know enough about red star belgrade frankly, but i would be surprised if they had the global supporter base either rangers or celtic do. rangers are absolutely massive. their league is fucking dogshit. 

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

i don't know enough about red star belgrade frankly, but i would be surprised if they had the global supporter base either rangers or celtic do. rangers are absolutely massive. their league is fucking dogshit. 

Massive clubs, as big as anyone outside of us and the Mancs.

Got Slavia Prague in the Europa so a 50-50 chance of going through I would say.

Update on the co-efficient thing I mentioned a week or so back  , Kiev and Shaktar both got through but have drawn Villareal and Roma respectively so if things go well the eventual Scottish champions could go straight into the CL Group stages.

• Upvote 1

while there's loads of these things out there, this was one done by the bleacher report trying to use who actually goes the match and how many shirts they sell. it's not scientific, but i don't think any of them are. it has us behind arsenal by one place, which i would dispute, but nearly everyone of these things has us behind arsenal - we certainly have shitter social media following when that is measured. This bleacher list has both rangers and celtic in the top 15 supported clubs. Although I find it hard to believe there's no south american clubs in there. but the point remains, the fact they're both in the discussion shows just how big they are. perhaps younger people don't get it because Scottish football isn't covered globally. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/865275-manchester-united-and-15-best-supported-clubs-in-world-football

2 hours ago, John102 said:

Dortmund the 5th biggest club in the world? Bigger than us? I can't take that list seriously at all.

I would include Ajax above such powerhouses as Shalke. 

I appreciate its specific metrics but still. 

That can only be on having a huge stadium which they fill. 

Ajax are a bigger club than everyone bar Bayern in Germany. And everyone in the UK bar us and United. 

2 hours ago, John102 said:

Dortmund the 5th biggest club in the world? Bigger than us? I can't take that list seriously at all.

I would include Ajax above such powerhouses as Shalke. 

I appreciate its specific metrics but still. 

As I say, there's loads of them about and they all measure in different ways. My point really is about them being in the conversation. They're an enormous club. All Steven Gerrard is missing managing there is some decent opposition. The league is the problem, not the size of rangers or their main opposition. 

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Size of club is subjective anyway. People just say such and such club is "big", but you have to say what that actually means. Rangers, I suppose are a big club by a lot of definitions, but they are a big fish in a small pond. Managing Rangers doesn't actually mean much nowadays in the grand scheme of things in European football.

He should stay there if they get to play in the Champions League next season but beyond that, man, go somewhere else where you're more relevant and keep taking the next step. What he's doing is promising, but there's one more tier of club he should manage before he takes a crack at the likes of us. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Size of club is subjective anyway. People just say such and such club is "big", but you have to say what that actually means. Rangers, I suppose are a big club by a lot of definitions, but they are a big fish in a small pond. Managing Rangers doesn't actually mean much nowadays in the grand scheme of things in European football.

He should stay there if they get to play in the Champions League next season but beyond that, man, go somewhere else where you're more relevant and keep taking the next step. What he's doing is promising, but there's one more tier of club he should manage before he takes a crack at the likes of us. 

So by saying he's a big fish in a small pond, you're agreeing with me the issue is the league? 

But what type of club do you think he should go to? Because I think he should only go somewhere with a team that is expected to compete and off the top of my head I can't think of a club of the size the the right league that would be helpful. He also didn't seem to much enjoy his time in America, so you would wonder how he would cope say managing in France or something. 

His next step is really tough and I would be shocked if his target for his next club is not Liverpool. 

Very difficult to think of too many clubs that would be a bridge to a possible Liverpool return for Steven at this point , as he doesn't really strike me as a go to Spain or Italy type , the Championship is a wild and wooĺly league and few lower Prem teams give him much more than a 'stay in the division ' remit. Wolves , Leicester , Newcastle , Leeds or Villa might give him interesting projects for varying reasons , but he is possibly better giving Rangers a bit longer with a chance to presumably coach in the CL , a closer league tussle with Celtic having to spend money and learning how to husband resources to finally win cups.

I'll be honest , I never expected him to be a top manager and have a chance of returning , but his work in the Europa and his seeming maturing as a man manager over his time at Rangers has now made me reconsider.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Very difficult to think of too many clubs that would be a bridge to a possible Liverpool return for Steven at this point , as he doesn't really strike me as a go to Spain or Italy type , the Championship is a wild and wooĺly league and few lower Prem teams give him much more than a 'stay in the division ' remit. Wolves , Leicester , Newcastle , Leeds or Villa might give him interesting projects for varying reasons , but he is possibly better giving Rangers a bit longer with a chance to presumably coach in the CL , a closer league tussle with Celtic having to spend money and learning how to husband resources to finally win cups.

I'll be honest , I never expected him to be a top manager and have a chance of returning , but his work in the Europa and his seeming maturing as a man manager over his time at Rangers has now made me reconsider.

I’ve watched his Rangers team a few times recently and though they’re pretty limited, he’s definitely got them playing good front foot football, with the team playing a high press to a good standard.

Rodgers has enhanced his reputation more from his work at Leicester than he did with what he achieved at Celtic. I think Stevie needs to do likewise before most Liverpool fans would be happy to see him given a chance here. As well as the teams you’ve listed, I’d add West Ham once they get fed up with the organised but ambition-less stuff Moyes favours. Also if he went to Newcastle it would surely have to be under different owners as it’s just too toxic with Ashley involved. If he could replicate the work Rodgers has done with any of those teams it would assuage the doubts of plenty.

• Upvote 2