You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rangers/Stevie Gerrard 2020/21

Baltar

36 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Religion, like sex, should be a private habit, nothing to do with football .... especially religion.

Mo Johnston got lots of bad stuff when he decided to play for Rangers right ?

Feelings around the Mo Johnston transfer were greatly heightened by the fact that Johnston had been on the verge of signing for Celtic in the days beforehand - he'd even posed in a Celtic shirt at Parkhead. 

4 hours ago, skaro said:

I used to follow Rangers (as a Scottish interest) when I was a kid aged 9 or 10 - I didn't know about any of that sectarian stuff.

Even when I did learn about it, I didn't really think any of it.

Then, in London in an Acton pub one night in 1989, a Scottish drinking acquaintance of mine, Brian, introduced me to his "friend", a Rangers supporter.

All hunky dory, I thought.

So I told this bloke, ironically in my naive opinion, that I followed Rangers even though I happened to be a Catholic.

He tried to glass me, while hissing though his clenched teeth, "you've got NO RIGHT to support Rangers".

Something of an eye opener, that evening.

Some months later, having moved to Paddington, I made acquaintance with a 'Gers man from the Glasgow shipyards... Kenny.

He and I enjoyed a few ciders/lagers over the ensuing months.

Luckily, he seemed OK with my weird allegiances.

I'm not fussed about Rangers any longer.

Stop moaning and get behind the lads.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Feelings around the Mo Johnston transfer were greatly heightened by the fact that Johnston had been on the verge of signing for Celtic in the days beforehand - he'd even posed in a Celtic shirt at Parkhead. 

Thanks for the context, I did not know that. 

My hope for Steven Gerrard at Rangers has always been that he either became the best manager in the world or that he ruined his reputation for all time as a manager, such that he could never be considered as Liverpool manager.

I live in fear that he will prove to be an above-average-but-not-great manager, and that instead of hiring Nagelsmann or giving Pep Lijnders a go when Klopp hangs up his boots (perish the thought!), there will be a groundswell of media and fan pressure for Gerrard to be brought in as LFC manager.

Which, if he actually does become the best manager in the world, then there's no one I'd rather have at the helm than a legend like Gerrard. But if he's, say, the 40th-best manager in the world, but nothing really special, there's no one I'd rather have less, because his legendary status as a player will inevitably make him much harder to sack than it should be (see: Solskjaer).

• Upvote 10

7 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

My hope for Steven Gerrard at Rangers has always been that he either became the best manager in the world or that he ruined his reputation for all time as a manager, such that he could never be considered as Liverpool manager.

I live in fear that he will prove to be an above-average-but-not-great manager, and that instead of hiring Nagelsmann or giving Pep Lijnders a go when Klopp hangs up his boots (perish the thought!), there will be a groundswell of media and fan pressure for Gerrard to be brought in as LFC manager.

Which, if he actually does become the best manager in the world, then there's no one I'd rather have at the helm than a legend like Gerrard. But if he's, say, the 40th-best manager in the world, but nothing really special, there's no one I'd rather have less, because his legendary status as a player will inevitably make him much harder to sack than it should be (see: Solskjaer).

Gerrard would have stepped aside well before the point solskjaer has taken things. Too much respect for the club 

27 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I know Liverpool winning the title last season was cathartic for Stevie. Hopefully if he wins a title in his own right with Rangers, it will finally lay his demons to rest.

Ive no interest in scottish football but I want to see Stevie do well.

Same. Never been arsed much about Scottish footie before but have taken more interest since Stevie has been there. If he can win the title and stop the 10-in-a-row title for Celtic, he'd be a legend there.

• Upvote 1

On 26/11/2020 at 12:11, El Rojo said:

Even that is only the half of it. 
He was already arguably Scotland’s best young striker when he arrived at the club (after one season, and 23 goals in 38 games, in England), and said he’d “walk over broken glass” to play for Celtic.
He was by far their biggest signing in years, scored loads of goals, they absolutely loved him. And when he was sent off against Rangers during a league cup final he blessed himself in front of their fans. He was a hero. 
So...

So when he headed off to France, did well there too, and then wanted to come back to Scotland, there was only one likely destination. The fans still loved him - he’d cited sectarian abuse from Rangers fans as one reason for leaving in the first place, and the board were notorious tight arses who kopped the blame for his departure, so it was a heroic homecoming.

It wasn’t just the posing for photos in a Celtic shirt either. He’d public announced “I’ll finish my career here. I don't want to play anywhere else,” and the fans responded by singing his name on the last day of the season ahead of his arrival. 
That was when it all went wrong. Johnston changed his mind (the fact that his agent was both a Rangers fan and member of the Orange Order may have been a factor), and Celtic lost their nerve - the deal was far enough along that they probably could have just paid the outstanding £800,000 to complete the deal, but the board not only pulled out but they did so whilst the manager was on holiday so he couldn’t intervene. Kinda indicative of how badly run Celtic were at that time. 
The whole thing was absolutely bonkers from start to finish. 

• Upvote 2

Can't stand the dirty hun bastards, and bollocks to Stevie winning a title with them (he can break his duck elsewhere). Fact is this season they've got it won anyway, Celtic have fell to pieces, look totally devoid of ideas. I don't expect Lennon to be the manager in the new year - I expect Eddie Howe to get the job.

• Downvote 3

On 30/11/2020 at 22:59, Arnaud said:

How come Scotland have become so bad ? In Rugby, they managed to find good players regularly.

Now they have Robbo, but when was the  last  time they had a very good player ? Late 80’ ?

Genuinely might be Gary Mac.

47 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

He was a very good player but not world class like Hansen or Robbo.

Gary Mac wasn’t world class, but he was very good. 
Madness to think that at least part of the reason he didn’t come here 10 years earlier was because he thought he might not be good enough. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Arnaud said:

He was a very good player but not world class like Hansen or Robbo.

Hansen wasn't considered,nor looked,world class in that Scotland side. Even Souness struggled at times for Scotland. I think that only King Kenny transcended the club and country problem while in a Scotland shirt. Which is testament enough to his brilliance.

• Upvote 2

On 01/12/2020 at 09:28, Creator Supreme said:

Can't stand the dirty hun bastards, and bollocks to Stevie winning a title with them (he can break his duck elsewhere). Fact is this season they've got it won anyway, Celtic have fell to pieces, look totally devoid of ideas. I don't expect Lennon to be the manager in the new year - I expect Eddie Howe to get the job.

tut tut