You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard: Failures make you a better person

TLW

Steven Gerrard has opened up about how disappointments in his career have made him strive to reach the next level.

The Reds legend has never been afraid to discuss his footballing regrets post-retirement and one of them was his infamous slip in 2014 with the Reds on the cusp of winning the title.

Speaking on the High Performance Podcast (per the Mirror) Gerrard says that it is moment that lives on, but he also believes that it has made him reassess things and become better in all facets of his life

“It was a real, brutal, cruel, low in my life, in 2014, the Chelsea episode, which still lives with me today. I don't know whether it gave me extra determination or something,

“From my experience, I think sometimes failure helps you to become better. I still think now part of me is chasing more highs, and I want to work hard for them highs, because I still think more of the lows.

image.png

“Sometimes, a low, or a bad time or a disappointment, can be the catalyst, and the trigger to something really, really, amazing. 

“So now, when you're representing Rangers, you know what it means, and I do see opportunities to have more highs, and buzzes, and adrenaline rushes I want to go and achieve.”

The topic of Football burnout amongst football managers is never far off the agenda.

Jurgen Klopp has often made a point of stating that he will take a sabbatical when he eventually leaves the Reds,

Gerrard has regularly been mentioned as the German’s successor when that moment does arrive, but the current Rangers manager who currently has his team six points clear of arch rivals Celtic (albeit having played one game more) also spoke about the physical and mental toll the management game takes on the individual and their loved ones.

Being the competitive beast he is, Gerrard has some personal  goals that he wants to achieve first, but signals that there will be a time when family takes priority.

“When you are representing Rangers and you know what it means to certain people, there are times when it dominates your life, and you can't control that, that's what it is," 

“I think there's got to be a stage in your life where you have a calm and peace but I there are things I still want to achieve and don't feel ready for that now.

"But for Alex and the kids at some stage, I will have to give myself to them 100%. 

"Alex would take it tomorrow. She is the one who brings me down when I come in and think I'm fantastic because I scored a goal or we've won a game.

“And when you're on the floor and staring at the walls, she's the one that picks you up. She goes through the journey as well. And the kids see it too.

"You do your best to keep it away and try not to bring it home but any manager or player who says they don't take it home, they leave it in the car, they are telling you lies."

View full article

8 hours ago, SlugTrail said:

If he's earned a shot then why not. I dont want it given to him for sentimental sakes but earning it is a different matter.

Because he won't be able to do enough to earn in before Klopp goes. Success in Scotland means nothing. 

Add to that his and Carra consistent comments about local lads and English players needing more chances. 

Oh and I've seen him throw the players under the bus at Rangers multiple times, might be able to do that in Scotland try doing that with top pros and they won't be here long. 

There will be far better qualified coaches ready for the job

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Because he won't be able to do enough to earn in before Klopp goes. Success in Scotland means nothing. 

Add to that his and Carra consistent comments about local lads and English players needing more chances. 

Oh and I've seen him throw the players under the bus at Rangers multiple times, might be able to do that in Scotland try doing that with top pros and they won't be here long. 

What if by that time he is the best person for the job, unless its someone like Jose who is an obnoxious cunt then I only want the best person for the job. If thats Stevie then great if not I won't be losing any sleep over it.

But the fact you are ruling him out for who he is is a bit disingenuous towards Stevie.

6 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

What if by that time he is the best person for the job, unless its someone like Jose who is an obnoxious cunt then I only want the best person for the job. If thats Stevie then great if not I won't be losing any sleep over it.

But the fact you are ruling him out for who he is is a bit disingenuous towards Stevie.

Unless he comes South or to Europe and starts winning league titles he wont be deserving of replacing Klopp

38 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He'll have moved on to somewhere else by the time Klopp goes. Hopefully in the Premier League or another big European League and that will be more telling of his level, but as of right now, he's pretty much done as well as possible at Rangers. European knockouts, he's top of the league, his team is barely conceding any shots, nevermind goals. He'll be under consideration, there's absolutely no doubt. You know club legends get to skip the line, anyway.