You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Midtjylland (H) Champions League - 27/10/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

I have some sympathy for Minamino. We got him relatively cheaply, from an unheralded team, then spent the next few weeks talking about how he was a 30-40m player and we had been clever in the market. 

Not sure if it has built up expectations or not but seems a bit odd. Unless we were playing the long game for when we flip him for a profit 

32 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Sorry Ronnie, cant agree with you there. I think he has stepped up since Virgil's been missing. I think all this talk about him banging the ball into touch all the time is as lazy as the sideways shit Hendo used to get.

In hindsight, maybe I'm being harsh on him. I really like the lad. He has it all. I will say I don't think he looks anywhere near as solid as he did say 12 months ago, but he wouldn't be alone in that regard. In his defence, Virgil didn't exactly look like himself over the past number of months and there have been spells with Adrian in the team, which can't be good for a defender. 

Pissed off with another injury. Makes it worse that we have a proper fucking sicknote as our only other centre half, don't expect to see Matip back until next year. If we don't have a top centre back lined up in Jan we can forget about winning anything - if it's not too late by then.

58 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Sorry Ronnie, cant agree with you there. I think he has stepped up since Virgil's been missing. I think all this talk about him banging the ball into touch all the time is as lazy as the sideways shit Hendo used to get.

He tried a few over the top balls like Virgil used to do, and he wasn't very good at it. It's a learning process for him. I didn't mind. 

6 minutes ago, niallers said:

If matip and Fabinho aint fit for the weekend , do we go for Henderson or a back 3 with trent maybe and gini either side of gomez or milner and gini? Fuck me, who'd be a manager

We'd play Phillips. 

As much as I like Williams, playing him tonight fair enough but to start him in a massive league game against a battle hardened West ham side is not a smart move in my opinion. He'd be targeted relentlessly and having yarmolenko or Antonio, even though he maybe injured, pulling onto him would be a tough watch.

1 hour ago, niallers said:

As much as I like Williams, playing him tonight fair enough but to start him in a massive league game against a battle hardened West ham side is not a smart move in my opinion. He'd be targeted relentlessly and having yarmolenko or Antonio, even though he maybe injured, pulling onto him would be a tough watch.

I'll feel even worse if Antonio abuse Hendo in the air. We might do better playing our best midfield to dominate possession and cut off the supplies. 

The options available all suck. Playing Rhys would be a desperate move, but what good choice do you have. A slight chance he'll play out of his skin to prove doubters wrong. 

8 hours ago, niallers said:

True, but needs must when the Devil shits on your duvet.

Felt sorry for Taki he looked out of sorts and it’s tough to come in as a new player with little chances play in numerous positions and set the world alight, still early days.

Div on the other hand was poor, he didn’t look arsed and I think his body language when he came off summed it up, he’s happy at a club like ours to be called on when needed, should have cashed in 18 months ago.

The whole game just seemed a bit preseason to me, almost like Klopp didn’t want us going flat out just coast through the game and pick up the 3 points, felt really strange to watch.

Although our defensive woes are a worry we shouldn't get carried away, there aren't that many attackers in the league we should be shitting our pants over and we defend as a unit, attacks should be getting snuffed out long before our CBs are called into action. Our goalie is the one player we can't do without at the back IMO, we can make do and mend with the rest.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, neopulian said:

Isn't Rhys Williams ahead of him at this particular moment? Phillips had been out injured for a while. Rhys also got minutes against Ajax to defend high balls, I think he'll be used. 

Phillips wasnt registered for the CL squad because we had at the time, 4 other CB options. Then he couldn't be brought in ahead of Rhys because he is 23 years old. That disqualified him from the homegrown under 21s option we could have used him for from the B list. Hence, Klopp's use of Rhys in the CL.

In the PL, Phillips would almost certainly be used ahead of Rhys because we registered him for the PL. He was even on the bench last weekend.

45 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

Felt sorry for Taki he looked out of sorts and it’s tough to come in as a new player with little chances play in numerous positions and set the world alight, still early days.

Div on the other hand was poor, he didn’t look arsed and I think his body language when he came off summed it up, he’s happy at a club like ours to be called on when needed, should have cashed in 18 months ago.

The whole game just seemed a bit preseason to me, almost like Klopp didn’t want us going flat out just coast through the game and pick up the 3 points, felt really strange to watch.

Yeah I'd agree. If it weren't for the injury to Fabinho I'd say Klopp would see it as a near enough perfect night; none of the front three played more than 25 minutes, Hendo and Gini only played 45 minutes each and we beat them without really having to raise our game. We didn't create many chances, finished the ones we did and only had one proper scare at the end when that lad dribbled through and hit the side netting.

All in all our CL campaign is starting as it normally does: in turgid, low-octane fashion. Only difference is we've got 6 points on the board instead of having already dropped at least one turd of a performance.

6 hours ago, Trojan1892 said:

I'll go with the same as Dave U said in his match write-up. Origi has never looked good on the left, so Klopp playing him there is only going to make him look bad. Unless this was all about getting Minamino to look good at centre forward, then everything about this setup with Origi on the left, is just wrong. Before a ball is kicked, you just know it will be bad. Why do it.

11 hours ago, aws said:

I think Phillips is ahead of Rhys but has missed out because he wasn't named in our senior CL squad whereas Rhys is young enough to play in the CL even if not named in it.  

Rhys played ahead of him in the league Cup. Although it could have been to keep Phillips available for a transfer, I suppose.

There was a fantastic point made by @Barrington Womble on another thread about how we big up the players who never make it here and how we keep shtum about the players who will (like Trent and Jones).

Perhaps Rhys Williams is another who we rated all along but kept the pressure off him while inflating the fees of Wilson, Hoever, Kent and others.

• Upvote 1