Quantcast
Greatest Male Solo Artist - Eric Clapton vs Little Richard - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Eric Clapton vs Little Richard

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Eric Clapton vs Little Richard  

41 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - Eric Clapton vs Little Richard


  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/10/20 at 13:25

Recommended Posts

60’s to ‘72 Clapton is my guitar hero. His quality of output in terms of tunes compared to Richard is poor.

 

Can’t stand Little Richard though (awesome musician) just find the whole thing irritating. 
 

Plus Stig voted for him and that’s my barometer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

60’s to ‘72 Clapton is my guitar hero. His quality of output in terms of tunes compared to Richard is poor.

 

Can’t stand Little Richard though (awesome musician) just find the whole thing irritating. 
 

Plus Stig voted for him and that’s my barometer.

It's alright mate none of your votes count anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Eric Clapton was massively inspirational for Rock Against Racism. Wouldn't have happened without him. 

Fair point but probably levels out after his rant about blacks coming here in his drug upped alcoholic days. 

 

Though I very much doubt he is actually racist when you look at his influences and the amount of black artists he has worked with. The comments seem to get glossed over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Fair point but probably levels out after his rant about blacks coming here in his drug upped alcoholic days. 

 

Though I very much doubt he is actually racist when you look at his influences and the amount of black artists he has worked with. The comments seem to get glossed over. 

Originally conceived as a one-off concert with a message against racism, Rock Against Racism was founded in 1976 by Red Saunders, Roger Huddle, Jo Wreford, Pete Bruno and others. According to Huddle, "it remained just an idea until August 1976", when Eric Clapton made a drunken declaration of support for former Conservative minister Enoch Powell (known for his anti-immigration Rivers of Blood speech) at a concert in Birmingham.[2] Clapton told the crowd that England had "become overcrowded" and that they should vote for Powell to stop Britain from becoming "a black colony". He also told the audience that Britain should "get the foreigners out, get the wogs out, get the coons out", and then he repeatedly shouted the National Front slogan "Keep Britain White".[3][4] Saunders, Wreford and Bruno, who were members of the agit-prop theatre group, Kartoon Klowns, together with Huddle, responded by writing a letter to NME expressing their opposition to Clapton's remarks. They claimed these were all the more disgusting because he had his first hit with a cover of Bob Marley's 'I Shot the Sheriff': "Come on Eric... Own up. Half your music is black... Who shot the Sheriff, Eric? It sure as hell wasn't you!" At the end of the letter, they called for people to help form a movement called Rock Against Racism, and they received hundreds of eager replies from fans who recognised the hypocrisy and wanted to proclaim the black roots of the music they loved.[2]

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Against_Racism

 

Massively inspirational. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need to think this one over. 

Little Richard is superb but it's a short spell that he really produced the big hits as his conversion and gospel music isn't winning him this tie. 

 

Need to decide if Clapton work in Derrick and the Domino's can actually count as a solo work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cloggypop said:

Originally conceived as a one-off concert with a message against racism, Rock Against Racism was founded in 1976 by Red Saunders, Roger Huddle, Jo Wreford, Pete Bruno and others. According to Huddle, "it remained just an idea until August 1976", when Eric Clapton made a drunken declaration of support for former Conservative minister Enoch Powell (known for his anti-immigration Rivers of Blood speech) at a concert in Birmingham.[2] Clapton told the crowd that England had "become overcrowded" and that they should vote for Powell to stop Britain from becoming "a black colony". He also told the audience that Britain should "get the foreigners out, get the wogs out, get the coons out", and then he repeatedly shouted the National Front slogan "Keep Britain White".[3][4] Saunders, Wreford and Bruno, who were members of the agit-prop theatre group, Kartoon Klowns, together with Huddle, responded by writing a letter to NME expressing their opposition to Clapton's remarks. They claimed these were all the more disgusting because he had his first hit with a cover of Bob Marley's 'I Shot the Sheriff': "Come on Eric... Own up. Half your music is black... Who shot the Sheriff, Eric? It sure as hell wasn't you!" At the end of the letter, they called for people to help form a movement called Rock Against Racism, and they received hundreds of eager replies from fans who recognised the hypocrisy and wanted to proclaim the black roots of the music they loved.[2]

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Against_Racism

 

 

I thought that was after, think I was getting it mixed up with the film that was released last year. 

 

Strange fucking comments either way, from a man so close to various black musicians and black music

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I thought that was after, think I was getting it mixed up with the film that was released last year. 

 

Strange fucking comments either way, from a man so close to various black musicians and black music

Attention seeking.. Bowie wore an SS uniform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was steaming & I think his girlfriend had just been chatted up by a black guy or something like that, before the gig. Obviously his comments were disgusting & he's a bellend but just to give it some context. Clapton was pretty much a drunken mess throughout the 70s.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cloggypop said:

That doesn't excuse the shite that was Tears In Heaven. 

Jesus that's a dark hill to pick to die on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little Richard's 50's stuff was fantastic. Energy, flamboyance, showmanship, just brilliant. 

Clapton was also brilliant in all his guises apart from the racist stuff mentioned earlier although his brain was probably addled at the time, plus he wrote and performed the most heart wrenching song I think I've ever heard in Tears in Heaven.

So Eric.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mook said:

 Clapton was pretty much a drunken mess throughout the 70s.

Oh there's no doubt about that. A alcoholic heroin addicted reclouse probably doesn't make for a sound mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

That doesn't excuse the shite that was Tears In Heaven. 

Wonderful Tonight is far worse than Tears in Heaven.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has to be Clapton, done some great stuff, Little Richard was boss though too. Couldn't give a fuck about his politics, I just base it on his musical output and obvious talent

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×