You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brewster: I learnt how to be a winner at Liverpool

TLW

Rhian Brewster is forever indebted to Liverpool for the lessons he learnt coming through the ranks but says the time was right to move into the next phase of his career.

The 20 year-old academy graduate left the club in the summer transfer window for more first team opportunities, and Sheffield United appear as the right club for that to happen.

Brewster who made his first appearance for the Blades in their 1-1 draw against a Fulham last week is set to start against his old side on Saturday and speaking ahead of this fixture (per the Mirror) said that he is ready for the set-up in responsibility.

“I could have stayed, I was under contract, but at the age I am now in my career, I wanted game time. This was a fantastic opportunity and when it came round, I felt it was too good to let it pass by. For me there is no substitute for playing week in, week out. Once you get a taste of playing regularly, you want to keep doing that.

Brewster said after enjoying a successful loan spell at Swansea in the second half of last season, he outlined his plans to Jurgen Klopp who was more than happy for him.

“I didn’t want to go back to being a squad player (after Swansea).I’ve got some momentum and want to keep my career moving forward. And I feel for that to happen, I needed to give myself the best possible chance of playing. I spoke to the boss at Liverpool and he agreed with me, so when this opportunity came along, I couldn’t turn it down.”

Despite making only a handful of first team appearances for Liverpool, he was on the bench for two of the most important moments in the clubs history, that being the incredible comeback victory against Barcelona and the Champions League triumph against Tottenham.

It was where he learnt the key to Footballing success.

image.png

Being with the group every day and seeing how winners conduct themselves, it’s only been a positive experience for me. I know just how much effort it takes to win a league. I’ve seen the benchmark, so that can only benefit me.

"Being on the bench, you feel the atmosphere of the occasion and, of course, what happened after winning the Champions League final, to see first-hand how much that meant to the group and the effort it took to get there.

“It was a great experience to witness.”

His current manager Chris Wilder has similar type of motivational skills as Klopp, and the players often respond  in kind.

He knows that this occasion is a big one for Brewster and says a big performance this evening will do him no end of good.

“I think everybody always has a point to prove. Does he want to go back to Liverpool and do well? 

“100 per cent he does, for himself as well as his club. There’s always going to be that spotlight put on him to do well as a young player and – with the fee we paid for him – to live up to those expectations.

“It’s a step up, but he knows that and understands the challenge.”

View full article

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Not really set the world alight, has he?

Could he actually have a half-decent Premier League career at a club that's not completely shit, or is he just a dud?

He's shite. If he was premiership standard he'd have scored at least one goal, he makes Shane Long look prolific.