Quantcast
US Election 2020 Thread - Page 265 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

US Election 2020 Thread

27 minutes ago, cwoods said:

Press Secretary giving a Press Briefing in a Briefing Room.

Normality is restored...

Who would have thought eh? Jen seems nice unlike that psychotic bitch Mcenany.

Hopefully Fauci and Birx will be back for the Covid briefings.

35 minutes ago, cwoods said:

Normality is restored...

USA going back to what it was.

Phew.

2 hours ago, skaro said:

USA going back to what it was.

Phew.

Shit dude, you are dripping sarcasm all over the place!

To be fair to Uncle Joe, some of the news on what he plans to do in the next week or 2 do appear to be genuinely positive, the private prisons is a big one that I think ODB Clinton brought in.

from CNN Politics: 

President Joe Biden is finalizing 17 executive moves just hours after his inauguration Wednesday, moving faster and more aggressively to dismantle his predecessor's legacy than any other modern president.

Biden is signing a flurry of executive orders, memorandums and directives to agencies, his first steps to address the coronavirus pandemic and undo some of former President Donald Trump's signature policies.

"There's no time to start like today," Biden told reporters in the Oval Office as he began signing a stack of orders and memoranda. "I'm going to start by keeping the promises I made to the American people."

With the stroke of a pen, Biden has halted funding for the construction of Trump's border wall, reversed his travel ban targeting largely Muslim countries and embraced progressive policies on the environment and diversity that Trump spent four years blocking.

Biden also reversed several of Trump's attempts to withdraw from international agreements, beginning the process of rejoining the Paris climate accord and halting the United States' departure from the World Health Organization -- where Dr. Anthony Fauci, the government's top infectious disease expert, will lead the US delegation.

His first action was to impose a mask mandate on federal property, a break in approach to dealing with the pandemic from Trump, who repeatedly downplayed the virus. Biden also installed a coronavirus response coordinator to oversee the White House's efforts to distribute vaccines and medical supplies.

Press secretary Jen Psaki and other top Biden officials had told reporters on the eve of his inauguration that the first-day actions are only part of what will be a series of moves to undo Trump policies and implement Biden's campaign promises in his first weeks in office.

He plans to follow Inauguration Day by centering each day of January on a specific theme, according to a draft of a calendar document sent to administration allies and viewed by CNN.

Thursday, Biden's first full day in office, will be focused on the coronavirus pandemic, and Friday will highlight Biden's push for economic relief -- including executive orders restoring federal employees' collective bargaining rights and directing agency action on safety net programs, including Medicaid and unemployment insurance.

The themes next week will be "Buy American," with a Monday executive order beefing up requirements for government purchases of goods and services from US companies; equity on Tuesday, coupled with a push to eliminate private prisons; climate on Wednesday with an executive order kicking off regulatory actions reestablishing the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology and combating climate change; health care on Thursday, a day on which Biden will rescind the so-called Mexico City Policy blocking federal funding for non-governmental organizations that provide abortion services; and immigration on Friday, when Biden plans to sign executive orders focused on border processing and refugee policies and establish a family reunification task force.

February will focus on what's identified in the calendar document as "restoring America's place in the world."

27 minutes ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

Shit dude, you are dripping sarcasm all over the place!

To be fair to Uncle Joe, some of the news on what he plans to do in the next week or 2 do appear to be genuinely positive, the private prisons is a big one that I think ODB Clinton brought in.

from CNN Politics: 

President Joe Biden is finalizing 17 executive moves just hours after his inauguration Wednesday, moving faster and more aggressively to dismantle his predecessor's legacy than any other modern president.

Biden is signing a flurry of executive orders, memorandums and directives to agencies, his first steps to address the coronavirus pandemic and undo some of former President Donald Trump's signature policies.

"There's no time to start like today," Biden told reporters in the Oval Office as he began signing a stack of orders and memoranda. "I'm going to start by keeping the promises I made to the American people."

With the stroke of a pen, Biden has halted funding for the construction of Trump's border wall, reversed his travel ban targeting largely Muslim countries and embraced progressive policies on the environment and diversity that Trump spent four years blocking.

Biden also reversed several of Trump's attempts to withdraw from international agreements, beginning the process of rejoining the Paris climate accord and halting the United States' departure from the World Health Organization -- where Dr. Anthony Fauci, the government's top infectious disease expert, will lead the US delegation.

His first action was to impose a mask mandate on federal property, a break in approach to dealing with the pandemic from Trump, who repeatedly downplayed the virus. Biden also installed a coronavirus response coordinator to oversee the White House's efforts to distribute vaccines and medical supplies.

Press secretary Jen Psaki and other top Biden officials had told reporters on the eve of his inauguration that the first-day actions are only part of what will be a series of moves to undo Trump policies and implement Biden's campaign promises in his first weeks in office.

He plans to follow Inauguration Day by centering each day of January on a specific theme, according to a draft of a calendar document sent to administration allies and viewed by CNN.

Thursday, Biden's first full day in office, will be focused on the coronavirus pandemic, and Friday will highlight Biden's push for economic relief -- including executive orders restoring federal employees' collective bargaining rights and directing agency action on safety net programs, including Medicaid and unemployment insurance.

The themes next week will be "Buy American," with a Monday executive order beefing up requirements for government purchases of goods and services from US companies; equity on Tuesday, coupled with a push to eliminate private prisons; climate on Wednesday with an executive order kicking off regulatory actions reestablishing the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology and combating climate change; health care on Thursday, a day on which Biden will rescind the so-called Mexico City Policy blocking federal funding for non-governmental organizations that provide abortion services; and immigration on Friday, when Biden plans to sign executive orders focused on border processing and refugee policies and establish a family reunification task force.

February will focus on what's identified in the calendar document as "restoring America's place in the world."

Mate,

I hope it's a new dawn.

I hope it's change for the better, not a return to normality.

The US needed changing, for the better.

Trump didn't do it.  No surprises there.

But it needed changing.

I really hope Biden can change it.

The "normality" of the US has not been anything to write home about.  For many, many, many years.

And until these career party politicians/powerbrokers that are now resuming the reins supply some genuine, sustained proof in the pudding, I reserve the right to be cynical and skeptical.

(And sarcasm is, after all, the lowest form of wit, so I never disappoint on that score!)

But yes, here's hoping.

1 hour ago, skaro said:

Mate,

I hope it's a new dawn.

I hope it's change for the better, not a return to normality.

The US needed changing, for the better.

Trump didn't do it.  No surprises there.

But it needed changing.

I really hope Biden can change it.

The "normality" of the US has not been anything to write home about.  For many, many, many years.

And until these career party politicians/powerbrokers that are now resuming the reins supply some genuine, sustained proof in the pudding, I reserve the right to be cynical and skeptical.

(And sarcasm is, after all, the lowest form of wit, so I never disappoint on that score!)

But yes, here's hoping.

Deffo wait and see, but it’s a new hope - coincidentally the name of a mining company a mate used to work for, so seems apt

11 minutes ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

Deffo wait and see, but it’s a new hope - coincidentally the name of a mining company a mate used to work for, so seems apt

Conversely, the name of the oldest tailor/mercer/fashion house in my home town of Hobart is "Bidencope's".

He's revoked the permit for the Keystone XL pipeline, something that had dragged on for years. That's great.

Alberta premier calls Biden's XL cancellation a 'gut punch' for U.S.-Canada trade relationship

And no I don't have any issues being glad if/when he does good things and posting about them. I'm not full on crazy, I'd be happy if he completely proved me wrong.

19 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Just watched his speech. Was great to hear someone that wasn't shitting out absolute nonsense about how they're the "best ever" in broken sentences that could have come from a seriously under developed 5 year old.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The young poet was amazing. Her hands were mesmerising.  

She was great wasn't she. Her voice sounded about 40 though. 

59 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The Paris Agreement is a trade deal with the city of Paris, who knew? 

20210121_090138.jpg

Virtually every time he speaks, I think he can't be that stupid, obviously playing to the crowd for his own agenda. 

Maybe I am giving him more credit than he deserves.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Virtually every time he speaks, I think he can't be that stupid, obviously playing to the crowd for his own agenda. 

Maybe I am giving him more credit than he deserves.

Any credit ever is more than he deserves.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

The Paris Agreement is a trade deal with the city of Paris, who knew? 

20210121_090138.jpg

Let's not tell Ted about Achilles' Heels.

That could really complicate things.

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Antifa on the rampage in Portland. Not doing anyone any favours there and I'm pro-antifa 

EsPYwMWXIAAJl4g?format=jpg&name=small

Clever Trumpists?

Or oxymorons?

He should really move fast on this as well, and glad to see the back of Pompeo too, the evil fucking scum.

edit - this is from the 19th so hopefully we'll find out what they're doing shortly :

President-elect Joe Biden has pledged to end US support for the kingdom's war efforts amid growing ire towards Riyadh in Washington.

Blinken reiterated that position on Tuesday. "The president-elect has made clear that we will end our support for the military campaign led by Saudi Arabia in Yemen, and I think we will work on that in very short order," he said.

The incoming top US diplomat who is expected to be confirmed by the Senate in the coming weeks added that Biden plans to reevaluate Washington's relationship with Riyadh in "its entirety" to realign the ties with US values and interests.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/tony-blinken-pledges-immediately-review-us-terror-designation-houthis