You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Interesting Joe Rogan podcast in the wake of the Capital Coup.

That video starts with the premise:

"When people say they want to ban hate speech, what they mean is, they want to ban the speech that they hate"

Which is incorrect. So I stopped there. Does it get any better?

No, that’s pretty much it. He does say that as corporations, Facebook, Twitter, etc, have the right to withhold publishing that they disagree with, but because these platforms are bigger than anything we’ve known in the past, they have the power.

Basically he’s saying ‘it’s early days’ in terms of where it will lead us to. Probably better than having the government do it. (Mcarthy-ism)

11 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

How come Joe Rogan dropped loads of far right interviews from his podcast when he took millions from Spotify? 

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/joe-rogan-podcast-comes-to-spotify-but-its-missing-episodes-with-far-right-guests-1234757569/

Spotify probably called the shots, don’t you think?

4 hours ago, M_B said:

That video starts with the premise:

"When people say they want to ban hate speech, what they mean is, they want to ban the speech that they hate"

Which is incorrect. So I stopped there. Does it get any better?

I don't think that's always incorrect but either way I just watched up to 6 mins and the guy explained what he meant more clearly by that point.

Hopefully we can evolve as a species to the point that "hate speech" is never a thing we consider having any types of laws for because we simply understand that it's stupid and there's no point in it.

That's surely the best solution, even if it does seem utopian where we are at this point, which by comparison is some type of dark age of people getting sucked into all types of shit from the result of it and getting overly offended when there's no benefit to that. No speech with negative aims can touch us if we use our awareness properly and it's only the reaction that the speech triggers, maybe that should be the focus instead. Educating people not to forget what they or their friends, families, communities or races have gone through related to hate speech and where it's often led, but instead to work towards letting all of the negative effects of it pass.

Not like the global elites are going to help us get to work on that enough though when one of their main aims is divide and conquer. We'll probably have to try and work towards it ourselves for the most part.

I get that it's also easier for me to sit here typing this as a white person when people of other races have gone through all types of horrors related to hate speech, propaganda and so on. I think the solution is easy to word out in seconds but if it ever became a reality putting it into effect could take a long time and a lot of people would have to deal with shitloads of trauma related to it all.

tl;dr : hate speech isn't the real problem I don't think, it's used as a distraction. The real problem is our reaction to it and lack of awareness.