Quantcast
US Election 2020 Thread - Page 240 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

US Election 2020 Thread

8 hours ago, skaro said:

Social media platform as moral guardian.

Almost as absurd as political party as moral guardian.

Social media platforms have conditions of use.  If you breach those conditions you get barred. Their gaff, their rules.  It's no more absurd  than being banned from Tesco for doing the willycopter in the veg aisle.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's no more absurd  than being banned from Tesco for doing the willycopter in the veg aisle.

Most draconian rule EVER 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Social media platforms have conditions of use.  If you breach those conditions you get barred. Their gaff, their rules.  It's no more absurd  than being banned from Tesco for doing the willycopter in the veg aisle.

Media rules are totally convenient and self-serving and moveable - based on control, power and money.

Like political parties.

Either as "moralists" is fucking totally absurd.

Rules my arse.

I've watched it for my 35 years in advertising.

Why didn't Twitter have the balls to ban Trump well before the cast of Game of Thrones turned up in Washington the other day?

He been spinning dangerous, divisive, inflammatory, inhuman shit for 4 years.

Parler won't be "getting their own servers" anytime soon. The sheer work involved in moving a cloud hosted service into a bare metal stack is unbelievable and unachievable in a short space of time. Even if they had a very capable team it could take at least 6 months for purchase, installation and configuration of the kit, signing of support contracts, hiring staff with hardware skills etc. They'd also have to purchase an IP range for private use off an ISP, who will likely now go the way of AWS and tell them to fuck off. 

Their most likely option is to move to another cloud provider who doesn't mind the bile the site produces. This could be tricky. They'll likely end up hosting in Russia, Belarus, Ukraine etc. They could be offline for some time. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

If people start pushing back then as per @Bruce Spanner supporting this legitimises their actions, you cannot say it is wrong for group a to push back but ok for group b to push back.

And this isn't false equivalency, it's basic fucking sense. Some of these QAnon and Trumpo wankers believe their truth just as much as people on the other believe theirs, how can they not see the truth etc - all of the same arguments from both sides and what one uses as ammunition the other uses as defence.

The people are not the problem, the system is the problem, and the system will not change, as it doesn't want to, the people pulling the strings do not want it to, and they hold far more sway and influence than any politician, party, association or celebrity - Tom Jones couldn't rescue this shit.

The chances were spurned the UK and US as Bernie and Corby were jettisoned, that was a major signal of, we'll all carry on regardless.

AWS may not be abusing their monopoly position in these circumstances, I agree, they do in plenty of other circumstances however.

Tech companies defy need to be broken up, or we (in the west) are basically living under the 7 kingdoms due to the capital and influence (both politically and at the individual level) they hold:

Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, Alphabet, MS and Apple, Paypal

But this is why we're in this mess, because we give all opinions equal weight.

One side saying: "the world is run by a satanic ring of paedophiles and president trump is fighting back, but to undermine him the election was rigged."

And the other side saying:

"That's not true".

Is not a discussion. 

The people who support actions like what was seen on capitol Hill are extremists and should be treated as such, the venom that feeds them should be cut off at the source by any means necessary. People have got years in jail over here for sharing Jihadi content, what's the difference?

None of these people just popped into view. They've been around for decades. There's always been an undercurrent of disaffected in the US, from the very first biker gangs that were started after World War two by people who didn't want to be part of society because of their experiences in combat, to fringe religious groups, survivalists and people in the deep south who still think the confederacy should have won. There's a historic of domestic terrorism with anti government people actually planting bombs (Timothy McVeigh I "think" was in that category.)

These clowns have always been a potential danger and had whole divisions of FBI assigned to track them.

The problem now is you've got a president and a fringe media infrastructure that's established a way of making money out of stoking these people's hate and mentalism. That's a direct threat to the country. If one of these clowns got their hands on a nuclear bomb would anyone be shocked or surprised to see Washington go up in smoke? Probably not, and that's fucked up. Fuckers need purging, as does everyone who enables them.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Same as any other business. 

It's not a question of being "moral guardians". If your awful behaviour keeps the money rolling in, you're welcome to breach the rules; once you become too embarrassing and start to put other customers off, you're out.

Trump or Parler getting booted is just business. 

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

But this is why we're in this mess, because we give all opinions equal weight.

One side saying: "the world is run by a satanic ring of paedophiles and president trump is fighting back, but to undermine him the election was rigged."

And the other side saying:

"That's not true".

Is not a discussion. 

The people who support actions like what was seen on capitol Hill are extremists and should be treated as such, the venom that feeds them should be cut off at the source by any means necessary. People have got years in jail over here for sharing Jihadi content, what's the difference?

None of these people just popped into view. They've been around for decades. There's always been an undercurrent of disaffected in the US, from the very first biker gangs that were started after World War two by people who didn't want to be part of society because of their experiences in combat, to fringe religious groups, survivalists and people in the deep south who still think the confederacy should have won. There's a historic of domestic terrorism with anti government people actually planting bombs (Timothy McVeigh I "think" was in that category.)

These clowns have always been a potential danger and had whole divisions of FBI assigned to track them.

The problem now is you've got a president and a fringe media infrastructure that's established a way of making money out of stoking these people's hate and mentalism. That's a direct threat to the country. If one of these clowns got their hands on a nuclear bomb would anyone be shocked or surprised to see Washington go up in smoke? Probably not, and that's fucked up. Fuckers need purging, as does everyone who enables them.

Yep.

But why wasn't some type of "censorship/banning" action taken until now?

Because it didn't suit anyone to take action until now - not because it's suddenly dangerous.

It's always been dangerous.  

The only time powerbrokers/influencers bother to take action though, is when it potentially affects the bottom line that is reliant on consumerism/populism.
They don't give a fuck about "danger".

• Upvote 1

Fox news was as bad as any conspiracy site it legitimised raving lunatics. In this country when most people didn't give a shit about Brexit the BBC was giving Nigel Farage far far more airtime than actual MPs from other partys. I look forward to Andrew Neil's new right wing channel turning this country into an even more selfish angry hateful nation.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, skaro said:

Yep.

But why wasn't some type of "censorship/banning" action taken until now?

Because it didn't suit anyone to take action until now - not because it's suddenly dangerous.

It's always been dangerous.  

The only time powerbrokers/influencers bother to take action though, is when it potentially affects the bottom line that is reliant on consumerism/populism.
They don't give a fuck about "danger".

I agree, but given Trump's level of depravity God only knows what kind of vengeance he'd have wrought on the tech sector if they'd silenced him earlier. But they've got no excuse when it comes to these other twats.

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I agree, but given Trump's level of depravity God only knows what kind of vengeance he'd have wrought on the tech sector if they'd silenced him earlier. But they've got no excuse when it comes to these other twats.

I think Trump's level of efficacious depravity has peaked with the armed pantomime.

He would have been too lazy for any social media vengeance while POTUS.

Golf to be played.

I could be wrong, but unless Heath Ledger's Joker somehow materialises on Inauguration Day, he's done.

So what would you do if you found that your GP went to storm the Capitol and believed all that Q bullshit?

Obviously you would change GP.

Still probably would mind

ErOibWqVEAAFqF1?format=jpg&name=medium

8 minutes ago, redheart said:

So what would you do if you found that your GP went to storm the Capitol and believed all that Q bullshit?

Obviously you would change GP.

Still probably would mind

I'd probably go to her a lot more frequently, for imaginary ailments, hoping with some justification that she'd be unprofessional and unHippocratic. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, skaro said:

I'd probably go to her a lot more frequently, for imaginary ailments, hoping with some justification that she'd be unprofessional and unHippocratic. 

"I've been researching my symptoms and I think I've got a chocolate flavoured cock, can you confirm?"

• Like 1

Shame instead of relying on the messenger to shut down the message the Liberals and Democrats didnt let someone who offered an alternative to America's establishment take on Trump first time round and strangle his philosophy of division at birth.

Hilary Clinton was understandably seen as a toxic politician who was part of a political elite who offered little hope to blue collar America. Trump rode in on an anti establishment, anti Clinton card and duly mopped up every vote from disgruntled American voters. 

The Bernie Sanders v Donald Trump 2026 election was an election of ideals both America and the world were denied, and if the people would have been offered a true choice Trump would have been back doing game shows.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/bernie-sanders-beaten-donald-trump-pre-election-poll-a7412636.html

8 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Shame instead of relying on the messenger to shut down the message the Liberals and Democrats didnt let someone who offered an alternative to America's establishment take on Trump first time round and strangle his philosophy of division at birth.

Hilary Clinton was understandably seen as a toxic politician who was part of a political elite who offered little hope to blue collar America. Trump rode in on an anti establishment, anti Clinton card and duly mopped up every vote from disgruntled American voters. 

The Bernie Sanders v Donald Trump 2026 election was an election of ideals both America and the world were denied, and if the people would have been offered a true choice Trump would have been back doing game shows.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/bernie-sanders-beaten-donald-trump-pre-election-poll-a7412636.html

But instead, they've proved with an unremarkable, middling, status quo, careerist (who's been in the elitist circle for decades and was VP immediately before Trump) that Trump would beat himself in 4 years, and we can all go back to normal.

Which is a much better result for globalisation, Wall St etc...

6 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Catch of the day, ladies.

ErgO4rNVQAIlbIo?format=jpg&name=large

The GOP might have found their next man...