You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

I agree with @Red PhoenixPhoenixPhoenPhPhoenix it is not good that a person was shot and killed. 

However I don't believe anyone is celebrating that fact that some right winger was, just not commenting on it. 

The context is massively important, so I believe most people think people getting shot is bad but in this situation it is not surprising, hence not many comments. Storming a government building, knowing the police carry guns and are happy to use them, you can't then be surprised that someone was shot. It is similar to the woman complaining about being Maced, you can't be outraged that she was Maced because of the context.

That is why there is more of an outcry, when somebody in their own bed is shot and killed by police then someone storming a government building is shot and killed by police, it is nothing to do with the politics but the action of the police purely in the context of the situation.

If I was running down the street and got shot there would be outrage, hopefully. If I was running towards parliament, past police and barriers and got shot, less so. My political beliefs would still be the same.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I agree with @Red PhoenixPhoenixPhoenPhPhoenix it is not good that a person was shot and killed. 

However I don't believe anyone is celebrating that fact that some right winger was, just not commenting on it. 

The context is massively important, so I believe most people think people getting shot is bad but in this situation it is not surprising, hence not many comments. Storming a government building, knowing the police carry guns and are happy to use them, you can't then be surprised that someone was shot. It is similar to the woman complaining about being Maced, you can't be outraged that she was Maced because of the context.

That is why there is more of an outcry, when somebody in their own bed is shot and killed by police then someone storming a government building is shot and killed by police, it is nothing to do with the politics but the action of the police purely in the context of the situation.

If I was running down the street and got shot there would be outrage, hopefully. If I was running towards parliament, past police and barriers and got shot, less so. My political beliefs would still be the same.

Alright Gareth Gates.

• Upvote 14

12 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I noticed there is overall very little interest in 3 fatalities explained away as deaths caused by medical reasons.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/01/07/these-are-the-four-people-who-died-amid-the-capitol-riot/amp/

Looks like a stroke, a heart attack and crushed to death. The first 2 looked like they enjoyed a burger so medical incident is probably ok. Dying in a stampede is not a medical incident, that is man slaughter at minimum. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I get what you're saying and especially the part about someone getting killed in their own home, there's no way I'm arguing that this is in any way comparable. It could even be that the person that shot Ashli Babbitt freaked out in the heat of the moment and now regrets it. When you have a horde of MAGA trying to break through a door and you're trying to protect senators/reps/establishment crony twats it's not going to be the most calming thing surely.

I was also being a bit of a twat at times the other night too and so sorry for that as well to anyone that got wound up with what I said.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I was also being a bit of a twat at times the other night too and so sorry for that as well to anyone that got wound up with what I said.

Negged for apologising. You're not a twat. We are not a twat. 

Twat. 

Oh and she deserved to get shot. She broke into a federal building then despite warnings tried to break into an even more secure area that was hiding members of staff whose lives were in danger. She put herself there not the armed guard who was doing his job. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Oh and she deserved to get shot. She broke into a federal building then despite warnings tried to break into an even more secure area that was hiding members of staff whose lives were in danger. She put herself there not the armed guard who was doing his job. 

That's your own view on it and I'm not going to argue because I'm about worn out with it now I think.

Twat.

3 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

That's your own view on it and I'm not going to argue because I'm about worn out with it now I think.

Twat.

It's not even up for debate really. If a gang of lunatics stormed your house and you felt under threat and had a gun, would you shoot them? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

It's not even up for debate really. If a gang of lunatics stormed your house and you felt under threat and had a gun, would you shoot them? 

I’m not going into the whole debate about wether she should have been shot. That’s a split second decision the officer that shot her has to live with and ultimately be judged on. I’ve not seen the footage and it doesn’t matter what I think anyway. 

She was a 14 year Air Force veteran. Who knows what troubles she had going on in her mind. 

I was armed all of the time on duty and while I was always prepared to shoot someone if I had to, thankfully even when faced with knife wielding drunk squaddies I never had to. 

I feel sorry for her family and the family of the officer that now has to live with her death. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, No2 said:

I'm warming to yellowstone man, I reckon he'd be a buzzer on a night out. If he doesn't get locked up he could be a decent candidate in 2024.

One thing I'm struggling with is the paper clip program, if the yanks hired 150 top nazis to implement programs for the CIA, wouldn't they be a little bit dead or certainly past their best?

14 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Yellowstone man could well run for vice prez alongside John Voight for the main job. The yanks love an actor/cowboy/unhinged loon combination for high office.

14 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

His name is QAnon Shaman

Compete lack of respect shown by all three of you. Call him by his proper name. Yellowstone Wolf. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, _______________ said:

I’m not going into the whole debate about wether she should have been shot. That’s a split second decision the officer that shot her has to live with and ultimately be judged on. I’ve not seen the footage and it doesn’t matter what I think anyway. 

She was a 14 year Air Force veteran. Who knows what troubles she had going on in her mind. 

I was armed all of the time on duty and while I was always prepared to shoot someone if I had to, thankfully even when faced with knife wielding drunk squaddies I never had to. 

I feel sorry for her family and the family of the officer that now has to live with her death. 

Value of human life obviously changes according to that human life's political leanings.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Compete lack of respect shown by all three of you. Call him by his proper name. Yellowstone Wolf. 

Not going to lie,  I knew his name wasn't yellowstone man however in order to get his full name I was risking entering the rabbit hole, he nearly had me with his delicious tales of witch craft and so on. I just couldn't risk clicking on another link. I wholeheartedly apologise to Mr Wolf.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Value of human life obviously changes according to that human life's political leanings.

Value of Human Life fluctuates depending on context. This is recognised in Law and virtually all walks of life

If somebody broke into your house and had a knife at your child's throat their value of human life would be drastically lower than a person engaging in lively debate in a Pub. Do you not agree?

This woman who was killed, irrespective of her political views, invaded a supposedly secure Government building and, by her actions, threatened some of the people inside. Obviously, not being there, I can't offer a definitive answer as to the lawfulness of her death.

I can sympathise with the personal tragedy of a young woman's death but, as far as I'm concerned, they're Fascists participating in deadly, dangerous and illegal activities and the full force of the State should be used to crush them

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I agree with you here, but I'm not sure how this is consistent with your previous comments about unarmed protesters and rioters who managed to get themselves shot in, ahem, other countries.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

It's the US gov. If my house a $750 billion defence budget I'd like to think I could try and find some way of taking them down non-lethally.

11 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Value of Human Life fluctuates depending on context. This is recognised in Law and virtually all walks of life

If somebody broke into your house and had a knife at your child's throat their value of human life would be drastically lower than a person engaging in lively debate in a Pub. Do you not agree?

This woman who was killed, irrespective of her political views, invaded a supposedly secure Government building and, by her actions, threatened some of the people inside. Obviously, not being there, I can't offer a definitive answer as to the lawfulness of her death.

I can sympathise with the personal tragedy of a young woman's death but, as far as I'm concerned, they're Fascists participating in deadly, dangerous and illegal activities and the full force of the State should be used to crush them

I was mostly responding to Stig's she deserved to be killed comment. As you said, we were not there. She didn't have a knife at a child's throat, she was a member of a right wing mob storming the houses of parliament in an unprecedented political event. For all we know, she may have been a dangerous ringleader urging everybody on with a deadly intent, or she may have been an unhinged right winger radicalized through constant echochamber exposure and caught in a mob psychology of the moment. For me, it's basic human decency to refrain from expressions such as she got what she deserved or not a great loss to humanity, at least within 24 hours from a person's death.