You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

The media are also involved in this. All the outlets that are now condemning him were happy to give him copious amounts of free airtime in 2016, as it massively increased ratings and hence advertising revenue. 

It is the same reason shitheads like Ferrage are given time over here, all about the ratings/clicks. 

They help legitimate it, increase ratings, then are outraged by the legitimacy, increase ratings. Cunts are all part of the same game and it is not about helping people.

Yep, the media too.

I've been in it for 35 years.

The media forces us to buy McDonald's for our kids and make them obese.

The media forces us to gamble.

The media forces us to vote for a particular person.

The media made me do it.

Someone else told me to do it.

Trump made me do it.

There is always someone to blame for making us make bad decisions.

And for those of us who make "good" decisions, thank God there are always those who make "bad" decisions that we can hate.  And blame.

The media.

Murdoch.

Democracy.

Apparently.

5 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

The media are also involved in this. All the outlets that are now condemning him were happy to give him copious amounts of free airtime in 2016, as it massively increased ratings and hence advertising revenue. 

It is the same reason shitheads like Ferrage are given time over here, all about the ratings/clicks. 

They help legitimate it, increase ratings, then are outraged by the legitimacy, increase ratings. Cunts are all part of the same game and it is not about helping people.

Yep. Farage is the BBC's creation. He's been on Questiontime more than anyone else I think. The news had him on to talk about lockdown extensions recently. Farage, that well known doctor and social scientist.

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yep. Farage is the BBC's creation. He's been on Questiontime more than anyone else I think. The news had him on to talk about lockdown extensions recently. Farage, that well known doctor and social scientist.

And yet, to anyone watching who has a quarter of a brain, he's Farage, that twat.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Mudface said:

At least one Republican senator is speaking out.

michael cohen repeatedly says on his podcast that trump acts and behaves like a mob boss. absolutely nothing illustrates this more than the bullying he is doing of state officials right now. if i was one of those state officials with the MAGA army standing by with their guns, i might well try to do all i can to subvert the will of the people. it is pretty much the same model as a protection racketeering scheme. pay me for protection or I'll burn your shop down. 

22 minutes ago, skaro said:

And yet, to anyone watching who has a quarter of a brain, he's Farage, that twat.

yeah, but the reality is the majority of the nation either don't have a 1/4 of a brain or if they do they have no time to filter right from wrong where the news is concerned. people just hear and digest it. so yes it is their fault for not seeing the shite, but some people are not time rich enough or intelligent enough. i don't think it is unreasonable to expect to turn on the bbc and to hear a balanced argument - yet farage or his cohorts have never won a seat in parliament as far as i know, yet his voice has shaped the bbc current affairs for over a decade and i do not think it is unreasonable to say he has shaped the policy and behaviour of the current government because his voice probably shapes 30% of the nation.

In the same way Trump is controlling 30-40% MAGA brigade and the republican party are afraid of losing that base and letting him carry on now attempting to destroy democracy. Everyone's vote is equal, so if you can get people who have no capability to understand either via intelligence or time to sort out the shit, then you've almost beaten democracy. 30% votes in the bag regardless of real policy or behaviour. 

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

yeah, but the reality is the majority of the nation either don't have a 1/4 of a brain or if they do they have no time to filter right from wrong where the news is concerned. people just hear and digest it. so yes it is their fault for not seeing the shite, but some people are not time rich enough or intelligent enough. i don't think it is unreasonable to expect to turn on the bbc and to hear a balanced argument - yet farage or his cohorts have never won a seat in parliament as far as i know, yet his voice has shaped the bbc current affairs for over a decade and i do not think it is unreasonable to say he has shaped the policy and behaviour of the current government because his voice probably shapes 30% of the nation.

In the same way Trump is controlling 30-40% MAGA brigade and the republican party are afraid of losing that base and letting him carry on now attempting to destroy democracy. Everyone's vote is equal, so if you can get people who have no capability to understand either via intelligence or time to sort out the shit, then you've almost beaten democracy. 30% votes in the bag regardless of real policy or behaviour. 

What's the solution, Baz?

Censorship?  Authoritarianism?

Who decides "balanced" and for whom?

Ain't the BBC still technically an instrument of the State?

The alternative?  

Private sector.

Oh, that's Murdoch, isn't it.

The picture you paint, yes, democracy seems beat.

So what's the alternative "freedom"?

Not freedom?

A steer in the "right" direction?

At the end of the day, to the outside observer, this might appear a "the human race is fairly crap at proffering opinions, being free, doing the right thing" kind of issue.

Despite all the wonderful, genius science, perhaps we're simply not all that as a species.

6 minutes ago, skaro said:

The alternative?  

Private sector.

Not freedom?

At the end of the day, to the outside observer, this might appear a "the human race is fairly crap at proffering opinions, being free, doing the right thing" kind of issue.

Despite all the wonderful, genius science, perhaps we're simply not all that as a species.

I am not sure I know the answer (although I have some) - I never claimed to have that, but I can see the problem. 

I have some views for the BBC, I would split that up. I would scrap the license fee and fund what is left from the government. I would only allow the BBC to provide a new service - BBC News TV, radio, internet and the world service (both TV and radio). I would guarantee funding for perhaps something like 25-50 years, so they are not beholden to the current government and have strict laws about impartiality, certainly stricter than today. The rest of the BBC I would privatise (about 75%) - I would use dividends from the remaining 25%, combined with the IPO/sale capital to help fund the stripped down news service. As part of the BBC1 offering, I would force them to take the BBC news broadcast in similar slots to today and a schedule of current affairs shows in particular slots each week. 

The rest of the media, I would still ensure they need to give some sort of balanced view. Supposedly we have some right wing shite on the way soon, I wouldn't allow that. 

Obviously you've then got the challenge that lots of people get their news from twitter. Policing that is a different story - I don't know how I would address that and I have not applied any thought to it (I am not on twitter, so don't really know how it works), but I would start with ensuring our traditional media outlets are managed differently, while figuring out the rest. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I am not sure I know the answer (although I have some) - I never claimed to have that, but I can see the problem. 

I have some views for the BBC, I would split that up. I would scrap the license fee and fund what is left from the government. I would only allow the BBC to provide a new service - BBC News TV, radio, internet and the world service (both TV and radio). I would guarantee funding for perhaps something like 25-50 years, so they are not beholden to the current government and have strict laws about impartiality, certainly stricter than today. The rest of the BBC I would privatise (about 75%) - I would use dividends from the remaining 25%, combined with the IPO/sale capital to help fund the stripped down news service. As part of the BBC1 offering, I would force them to take the BBC news broadcast in similar slots to today and a schedule of current affairs shows in particular slots each week. 

The rest of the media, I would still ensure they need to give some sort of balanced view. Supposedly we have some right wing shite on the way soon, I wouldn't allow that. 

Obviously you've then got the challenge that lots of people get their news from twitter. Policing that is a different story - I don't know how I would address that and I have not applied any thought to it (I am not on twitter, so don't really know how it works), but I would start with ensuring our traditional media outlets are managed differently, while figuring out the rest. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Fair enough, Baz,

If we were going full-hog opinions on improvement, I'd scrap social media.  Shite.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, skaro said:

Yep, the media too.

I've been in it for 35 years.

The media forces us to buy McDonald's for our kids and make them obese.

The media forces us to gamble.

The media forces us to vote for a particular person.

The media made me do it.

Someone else told me to do it.

Trump made me do it.

There is always someone to blame for making us make bad decisions.

And for those of us who make "good" decisions, thank God there are always those who make "bad" decisions that we can hate.  And blame.

The media.

Murdoch.

Democracy.

Apparently.

What tune is this to?

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Slightly off topic but apt. How the American dream was fueled by a donut

I'm not sure how easy donuts are to make. My sister made some in school about 20 years and poisoned the lot of us. I haven't eaten one since.

7 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

So the Dems organised a conspiracy large enough to influence the election, without getting caught, but managed to lose the senate at the same time? 

If there is or was a conspiracy, I suspect it is/was disorganised. Spontaneous - in the key battleground states where the voting literally just stopped. Like I say, a desperation late in the counting, when it became increasingly obvious Trump had big numbers in the election.

As for the Senate, apart from the fact that the Dems have spent the last four years obsessed with removing Trump - to the point of billions of wasted dollars, and wasted time (covid didn’t seem to matter during the impeachment) - taking the Senate is just a whole different ball game. If the result is successfully overturned by the Trump lawyers, it is precisely because it was a botched spur of the moment job.

• Downvote 3

4 hours ago, skaro said:

The alternative?  

Private sector.

Not freedom?

Clever selfish monkeys that created a culture that is now in decline. 

56 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Without social media, you lads wouldn’t be having this discussion.

Social Media, as an individual concept, is great. Like everything, it’s how the platform is used that is the problem.

Neither would you...

200.gif

Im going to be in the panel in a debate about social media, and how it can influence elections on Wednesday.

Will be interesting, and Ill have a job trying to make the audience and viewers to understand that Im not a populist, while explaining how dangerous populists are. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Code said:

Im going to be in the panel in a debate about social media, and how it can influence elections on Wednesday.

Will be interesting, and Ill have a job trying to make the audience and viewers to understand that Im not a populist, while explaining how dangerous populists are. 

Class. Check out The Social Dilemma on Netflix if you haven't already, really insightful.

• Like 1

The Elite Force One lawsuit has been filed in PA. The Kraken has been released. They are laughably arguing that it’s only the Presidential vote they want thrown out, PA are good to go to certify the down ballot - despite them all being on the same ballot paper. So the Chavez super plan is to steal the Presidential election, but not the Senate or House.