You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

8 hours ago, SasaS said:

Why is the population size relevant? The bigger the population, more hands are there to count.

That’s how I see it as well. Only hand counting (with checks and balances) can secure fair elections.

I don’t trust Dominion Voting Systems. Once you data base the count, ‘a few’ have control of the data of the many.

5 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

This is the right winger that I've often checked on to see what they're raving on about since Trump was elected. Never seen him say anything like this before, he's had enough I think.

As George Carlin said, what they don’t want is more American people capable of critical thinking. That’s when the establishment becomes obsolete.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Only hand counting (with checks and balances) can secure fair elections.

That's ridiculous man - when you go to the bank a machine counts out thousands of dollars. You don't ask the teller re-count. In the history of US elections I think the average change in any recount has been @ 200.

You obviously want to go down a rabbit hole here.

If you want to see where you end up with hand counting ballots revisit the 2000 Presidential election in Florida.

It makes it more susceptible to protests, not less.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

That's ridiculous man - when you go to the bank a machine counts out thousands of dollars. You don't ask the teller re-count. In the history of US elections I think the average change in any recount has been @ 200.

You obviously want to go down a rabbit hole here.

If you want to see where you end up with hand counting ballots revisit the 2000 Presidential election in Florida.

It makes it more susceptible to protests, not less.

If you walk into a bank with massive amounts of cash, and you haven’t pre counted it, then of course you accept the machine count.

If you walk into a bank and withdraw massive amounts of cash, firstly, why would you do that, it’s a bit impractical is it not, to stand there and hold up the queue with a hand count? Back in the old days and even today with small amounts, the teller will carefully count the cash right in front of you.

No, my real issue isn’t really any tabulating machine per se, because It’s not the counting machine that is the issue, it’s digitisation of the data. The totals are only known to the few that have access to the data. Just logically looking at the chain of the count, the point of entry for corruption would be the accumulated totals in the main data base for each electorate, whereby only a very few people would have access.

To repeat a previous post of mine, further up the thread: no single hand counter of a vote, or small group of hand counters, has any idea of the totals. Totals are only known by (at the most) a handful of people in each electorate.

Having just worked on NZ Election 2020, I was a witness to much of the NZ system. I took part in every aspect of the election - from the hiring of officers, to being an issuing officer myself, to manning the phones & receiving the totals on Election Day, to sorting the special votes prior to the specials count.

True, Aotea is a country of only 5 million, but this country has never made a jump to tabulating machines, ever. It would be more efficient, in terms of speed and economy, but we still hand count for a reason.

It’s to get a fair and honest result, with less chance of interference or glitches.

12 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

If you walk into a bank with massive amounts of cash, and you haven’t pre counted it, then of course you accept the machine count.

If you walk into a bank and withdraw massive amounts of cash, firstly, why would you do that, it’s a bit impractical is it not, to stand there and hold up the queue with a hand count? Back in the old days and even today with small amounts, the teller will carefully count the cash right in front of you.

No, my real issue isn’t really any tabulating machine per se, because It’s not the counting machine that is the issue, it’s digitisation of the data. The totals are only known to the few that have access to the data. Just logically looking at the chain of the count, the point of entry for corruption would be the accumulated totals in the main data base for each electorate, whereby only a very few people would have access.

To repeat a previous post of mine, further up the thread: no single hand counter of a vote, or small group of hand counters, has any idea of the totals. Totals are only known by (at the most) a handful of people in each electorate.

Having just worked on NZ Election 2020, I was a witness to much of the NZ system. I took part in every aspect of the election - from the hiring of officers, to being an issuing officer myself, to manning the phones & receiving the totals on Election Day, to sorting the special votes prior to the specials count.

True, Aotea is a country of only 5 million, but this country has never made a jump to tabulating machines, ever. It would be more efficient, in terms of speed and economy, but we still hand count for a reason.

It’s to get a fair and honest result, with less chance of interference or glitches.

In the bank example - you can tell them whatever amount you want - the deposit will be what the machine counts out. I know at least a dozen owners of bars and shops and they all withdraw cash to stock their till on a regular basis, always by machine, never wrong. Back in the old days they didn't have machines.

Seems like you are saying only a few know the totals in any of these systems, so you think encrypted digital data is more prone to shenanigans than a few humans?

Respectfully disagree.

34 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

What's happened to the "roa" in Aotearoa?

President Donald Trump’s campaign has dramatically scaled back its federal lawsuit challenging the election results in Pennsylvania, dropping claims that observers were illegally blocked from viewing vote-counting in counties dominated by Democrats.

The retrenched version of the suit filed late Sunday morning with a federal court in Williamsport, Pa., deleted the allegations about poll watchers and now focuses solely on varying practices by county officials for handling mail-in ballots that lacked an internal secrecy envelope or otherwise ran afoul of the state’s election rules.

The Trump campaign argues that Trump’s constitutional rights were violated because some counties made efforts to contact voters who botched their mail-in ballots, while other counties made no such outreach.

The legal move appears to narrow the number of votes at stake in the federal suit to a few thousand or less. Officials at one suburban Philadelphia county, Montgomery, said at a court hearing earlier this month that they believe about 93 ballots were “cured.”

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Not sure I can be bothered, to be honest!  Any chance you can summarise in one or two sentences?

Aotea can mean many things depending on context, such as a cloudy-white greenstone, light, or ‘east’, or a cloud, or a specific place such as Great Barrier Island, or an ancestral migrating canoe.

However, there are some traditional generic notions common through much of eastern Polynesia, such as the idea that islands were hauled up from the dark depths into the light, which is where the term Aotea, as ‘light’ has relevance – perhaps not so much as a specific island name, but as a place that become light. ‘Aotearoa’ was a word made up by Pakeha and written into Maori Dictionaries in the 1800s. However, in the Maori Declaration of Independance of 1835, authority was asserted by the ‘Independent Tribes Of New Zealand’, and in the Maori version of that declaration the name Nu Tereni was used - a literal Maori pronunciation of the English ‘New Zealand’.

So there are several ideas of the correct Maori name, but I like to honour the Polynesian descendents of Maori, personally, having spent some good times in The Cook Islands, and finding the people most agreeable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Red Shift said:

That’s how I see it as well. Only hand counting (with checks and balances) can secure fair elections.

I don’t trust Dominion Voting Systems. Once you data base the count, ‘a few’ have control of the data of the many.

in just about every scenario i can think of on an industrial scale, if programmed correctly machines are both more reliable and less prone to abuse than any human system. this is not just regards counting votes, it's about every situation where some form of robot or computerisation replaces manual tasks. 

when was the last time america ran an election with every vote hand counted? i think certainly there have been no elections like that this century. 

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

in just about every scenario i can think of on an industrial scale, if programmed correctly machines are both more reliable and less prone to abuse than any human system. this is not just regards counting votes, it's about every situation where some form of robot or computerisation replaces manual tasks. 

when was the last time america ran an election with every vote hand counted? i think certainly there have been no elections like that this century. 

All will be revealed when Sidney releases the Kraken

35 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Doesn’t she believe in the celebs killing kids for their blood conspiracy theory?

Same as Icke, ‘I know the lizards is a bit dodgy but he’s spot on with this’ 

You don't have to worry about Icke as much as he's now been cleansed from youtube and twitter (I know this was corona related too). And in their desperation to get rid up Trump they've helped create one of the world's fastest growing right wing social media sites with their censoring and it probably isn't going to stop growing any time soon. And we even have US mainstream media crying about parler at the same time. Are they crying about twitter censoring people though? Probably not, they're a fucking joke.

Parler is "a threat to democracy." Is it? And how is silencing people not? Stupid cunts. The best thing we could do is have a way better variation of media in the first place so that these clown corps and media outlets never get the influence they currently have. And if social media keep removing people with huge followings it might not just be right wingers that end up at places like parler in droves either.

CNN of course did fully support and celebrate one Trump moment at least : when he launched some missiles at another country. Ain't that a fucking surprise. https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/04/07/fareed-zakaria-trump-became-president-syria-newday.cnn