You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

The Republicans threatened to call 300+ witnesses to effectively shut down governemnt for forever while they were processed, vetted, had their day in court etc.

The threat was so Biden couldn't get anything through the Senate whilst it was happening as this would take priority.

That's not democracy, that a racket.

8 hours ago, Brownie said:

As I said weeks ago, the second impeachment was just a big waste of time.

3 hours ago, Poster said:

And money. Maybe now the clowns can get on with the stimulus cheques for the thousands suffering during the pandemic. 

Wasn’t the game here always more about public perception of the GOP? 

7 minutes ago, Brownie said:

4 years before the next election?

2 years before the senate or house (fucked if I j ow which is which, but whichever one that marj green is part of).

plus it’s now a

matter of public record, so they cannot deny it.

as always the shit bags in the middle are fine, but the poor on either side will continue to pay the price.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

2 years before the senate or house (fucked if I j ow which is which, but whichever one that marj green is part of).

plus it’s now a

matter of public record, so they cannot deny it.

as always the shit bags in the middle are fine, but the poor on either side will continue to pay the price.

Yeah I forgot about the mid terms. Not sure which states will be included in the next round of that.

You could make an argument that the Republicans doing what they did was for their image as well.

Fucked up country in terms of disunity.

12 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Yeah I forgot about the mid terms. Not sure which states will be included in the next round of that.

You could make an argument that the Republicans doing what they did was for their image as well.

Fucked up country in terms of disunity.

Mos def, it’s a shitty situation, it just shows even as bad as things are in the US today, the post Trump change will be as little as possible to the status quo.

But the right have shown that smashing the system works. 

They're mobsters, they vote for themselves the idea that the Republican party gives a flying fuck about the country itself is laughable, its a racket and every choice they make is how does this benefit me personally no matter how dire the consequences for anybody else. It's incredibly familiar. 

It's pointless being arsed anymore. 

Must be the only "jury" that is openly bias going into the trial, it wouldn't be allowed in a court.

Just like 2008, the GOP plan will be for nothing to pass, despite the Dems having control of all three institutions. Then going in 2022, look the Dems never get anything done, best vote for us. 

Unfortunately they will, once again, be aided and abetted by the "moderate" Dems.

2 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Must be the only "jury" that is openly bias going into the trial, it wouldn't be allowed in a court.

Just like 2008, the GOP plan will be for nothing to pass, despite the Dems having control of all three institutions. Then going in 2022, look the Dems never get anything done, best vote for us. 

Unfortunately they will, once again, be aided and abetted by the "moderate" Dems.

I’m gonna say the panel of the Nuremberg trials was probably pretty biased.

The shoe is on the other foot this time, the fascists are in the glorious west, the centrists are protecting what they have, and the poorer rabble amongst the right are being galvanised.

We live in interesting times.

2 minutes ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

I’m gonna say the panel of the Nuremberg trials was probably pretty biased.

The shoe is on the other foot this time, the fascists are in the glorious west, the centrists are protecting what they have, and the poorer rabble amongst the right are being galvanised.

We live in interesting times.

Good point, but both the Dems (Clinton) and GOP, openly state before the trial which way they will vote. Plus irony of ironies, this trial was over so quickly because the GOP said they would call hundreds of witnesses. At least at Nuremberg there was no time limit and they would have wanted as many people to speak as possible (I could be wrong on this).

10 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

He would have been shot/fed to the hounds/poisoned/beheaded, not found not guilty. 

*laughs 

Surely that is an argument in favour of American democracy? That the new government still needs votes from the now opposition to "lock him up".

The whole system over there is so fucked, the corrupt don’t even have to cover up their crimes. It’s so blatant and they never lose their power as a result, or face any consequences.

I’m not sure how they get around to fixing these seismic, systemic issues either as there are so many “special interests” and lobbyists that would oppose any change it just won’t get passed. It would take a a full on collapse of society before they try to change anything. 

I appreciate its not that much better over here and it’s depressing to say the least. I’m both astounded by the lack of justice when there is so much evidence but at the same time not surprised in the least as it was already known they wouldn’t get a majority to convict.

One of the worst parts of growing up is having the veil lifted on the notion that bad people eventually get what’s coming to them in the end. It’s just a lie we tell ourselves to try and make ourselves feel better.

9 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Good point, but both the Dems (Clinton) and GOP, openly state before the trial which way they will vote. Plus irony of ironies, this trial was over so quickly because the GOP said they would call hundreds of witnesses. At least at Nuremberg there was no time limit and they would have wanted as many people to speak as possible (I could be wrong on this).

Aye, the time

limitations imposed by the need to get on with the Covid support packages, does raise the question of why did they not sit it on the back burner for 6 months or so.
Get the most time sensitive shit out of the way first, rather than letting the malignant republican wankers push it through quickly.

Hard not to admire this kind of shameless behaviour.

Ted Cruz has sparked outcry after the Republican senator from Texas left the state for a trip to the sunny Mexican tourist resort of Cancún, as millions of his constituents endure deadly power outages and freezing temperatures.

Cruz was spotted waiting for, then later boarding, a flight to Cancún on Wednesday night. After photos of Cruz on the plane went viral on Twitter, prompting fierce criticism, the senator returned to Texas on Thursday, saying the trip was “obviously a mistake”

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Ted Cruz has sparked outcry after the Republican senator from Texas left the state for a trip to the sunny Mexican tourist resort of Cancún, as millions of his constituents endure deadly power outages and freezing temperatures.

Cruz was spotted waiting for, then later boarding, a flight to Cancún on Wednesday night. After photos of Cruz on the plane went viral on Twitter, prompting fierce criticism, the senator returned to Texas on Thursday, saying the trip was “obviously a mistake”

Politicians on either side don't even have to try any more. They can just tweet something right or left wing to rile up their supporters then just continue to shit on their constituents from a great height.

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Hard not to admire this kind of shameless behaviour.

You gotta admire Cruz and his cunthood.

Remember in 2013 when he ‘fiilabusted’ for what felt like days to block Obamacare?

He didn’t need to, he did it for the ‘lol’s’, he could have just sent an email and it would have been more effective, he did it to be a cunt and make sure his ideas made the news.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/279959/