You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Can we get that pissed up woman back talking please. The rigged election witness from last month. She was great 

I'd imagine she's keeping her absurd head down at the moment- Dominion responded by saying that she worked for them for a day as a cleaner, and they're currently suing Sidney 'KraKaren' Powell for $1.3 billion.

It's absolutely hilarious that almost everyone caught in the aftermath was caught because they were all so excited "storming the capitol" that they recorded it in high definition from multiple angles and post the videos on social media.

They felt invincible because they thought Donny boy had their back. Guess what, you're a fucking pawn and he would feed your body alive into a woodchipper if it got him an extra minute in power.

• Upvote 1

@Red Shift

The thing is, you're quite happy to appeal to "experts" as long as they agree with you. 

Trumps team have failed to show anything credible in about 60 cases. They didn't win a single one showing any kind of fraud.

And in different courts, in different states, with different judges.

They have nothing because is all bullshit.

The YouTube video "Plandemic" has "Doctors" in it. Doesn't mean it isn't a steaming pile of horse shit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Yes, but as we’ve already noted, Trump’s defence team were incompetent. Also, consider the term verifiable evidence. That’s for the court to decide. It looks like they ignored this valid data, or, this valid data was not put forward in the court case.

What is this ‘defence team’ of which you speak? 

During impeachment, there doesn't seem to be a prosecution and a defence... or witnesses, or a defendant present?

So, it's not a trial per se?

It's a motion, like legislation, decided by Parliamentarians' votes?

Is it more like a vote of "no confidence"?  With a bit of permanent disgrace, de-legitimisation, rejection and ejection thrown in?

@TheHowieLama ??

On what we have seen and what has been put forward so far, all Trump and his acolytes have put forward is thin air. Many of them claim as 'fact' that the election was stolen, when they don't have facts or evidence to back their claims up. The same people that claim the other side have no facts to accuse Trump, very strange. 

I don't have any time for either side, fucking politicians. But when I see some of the banners and t-shirts of some of the Trump supporters then you have to shift uncomfortably in your chair. These are not nice people, these are not people that welcome democracy. I am not saying that all Trump voters are vile racists but he does attract their vote. 

We thought we had problems with 17.4m or so million v 16.1m voters in Brexit. Trump got 73 million votes, even after 4 years of shitting on the office of president. The USA has many problems and Trump certainly isn't and never was the answer, but I don't see an easy way out of this mess that they are in. 

Maybe instead of policing the world they need some time policing their own country, instead of spending phenomenal amounts of money on their armed forcers they need to spend some of that on their people. Yeah fat chance. 

After that film 'King Ralph' staring John Goodman in the early 90s I think Trump was the real life revenge sequel. 

I think trump will resign (like Nixon did) and Pence will pardon him, like Nixon was pardoned. I think Pence will do this and claim he wants the nation to heal and that might just work. Making Trump a martyr in my opinion won't help and they already played their assassination card on JFK so that's out. 

6 minutes ago, skaro said:

During impeachment, there doesn't seem to be a prosecution and a defence... or witnesses, or a defendant present?

So, it's not a trial per se?

It's a motion, like legislation, decided by Parliamentarians' votes?

Is it more like a vote of "no confidence"?  With a bit of disgrace, de-legitimisation, rejection and ejection thrown in?

@TheHowieLama ??

The trial happens when it goes before the Senate.

4 minutes ago, skaro said:

With Trump actually present "in the dock"?

Does the Senate have to vote now to give this "trial" the go-ahead... or the trial now a happening thing?

It's a happening thing, one the House votes for impeachment, it gets sent to the Senate for a trial and vote on a conviction. More details here- https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Senate_Impeachment_Role.htm

No idea if Trump would appear or even be expected to.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Just to add, none of the previously impeached presidents- including Trump with his first impeachment- have been convicted in the Senate. Nixon probably would have been, but he resigned beforehand.

It's almost as if these things proceed along political lines.

9 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Just to add, none of the previously impeached presidents- including Trump with his first impeachment- have been convicted in the Senate. Nixon probably would have been, but he resigned beforehand.

If 10 have broken ranks you'd imagine they've been given the okay, as they don't have a moral bone in their body.

There will be a load of Republican senators who want to run next time and want him out of the way, Pence probably top of that list. 

Even if they don't oust him they can stop him running for office. It will be interesting to see what happens.

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

If 10 have broken ranks you'd imagine they've been given the okay, as they don't have a moral bone in their body.

There will be a load of Republican senators who want to run next time and want him out of the way, Pence probably top of that list. 

Even if they don't oust him they can stop him running for office. It will be interesting to see what happens.

If the impeachment isn't carried, they can't stop him running for office?

Not that I think he'd run anyway... it would be one of the "van Trump" family.

21 minutes ago, skaro said:

If the impeachment isn't carried, they can't stop him running for office?

Edit: Added the 4th option

4 options (apparently - never trust what you read)

1: If he isn't impeached, then he's clear to do what he likes.

2: If he is impeached, he cannot run in 2024, and he loses all the benefits of being an ex president.

3: If the trial remains pending indefinitely, then he also cannot run in 2024.

4: If the senate does not impeach him, then it can hold a second vote to disqualify the president from holding office in the future. Only a simple majority is needed for that - and with the senate now being Dem controlled, this is a likely outcome.

My money is on number 3 or 4.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, _______________ said:

On what we have seen and what has been put forward so far, all Trump and his acolytes have put forward is thin air. Many of them claim as 'fact' that the election was stolen, when they don't have facts or evidence to back their claims up. The same people that claim the other side have no facts to accuse Trump, very strange. 

I don't have any time for either side, fucking politicians. But when I see some of the banners and t-shirts of some of the Trump supporters then you have to shift uncomfortably in your chair. These are not nice people, these are not people that welcome democracy. I am not saying that all Trump voters are vile racists but he does attract their vote. 

Trump is a bullshit artist.  Not a leg to stand on in this "stolen" thing.

Some of these Trump supporters are indeed not nice people.

But what shits me most about this situation, is that it has turned one side of politics - self-serving party politicians, elitist, careerist powerbrokers, opportunists, supporters of foreign wars and American's illegitimate position as the "world police", quite simply, not nice people themselves - into sudden bipartisan guardians of the peace and moral rectitude.

It's just bullshit and an utter swindle.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, M_B said:

Edit: Added the 4th option

1: If he isn't impeached, then he's clear to do what he likes.

2: If he is impeached, he cannot run in 2024, and he loses all the benefits of being an ex president.

3: If the trial remains pending indefinitely, then he also cannot run in 2024.

4: The senate does not impeach him, but holds a second vote to disqualify the president from holding office in the future. Only a simple majority is needed for that - and with the senate now being Dem controlled, this is a likely outcome.

My money is on number 3 or 4.

8 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Anomalies in Vote Counts and Their Effects on Election 2020

A Quantitative Analysis of Decisive Vote Updates in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Georgia on and after Election Night

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F882fa9d0-822d-4580-a699-15a6b4a64d4a_1096x887.png
Nov 25, 2020 70 2,561

Executive Summary

In the early hours of November 4th, 2020, Democratic candidate Joe Biden received several major “vote spikes” that substantially — and decisively — improved his electoral position in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Georgia. Much skepticism and uncertainty surrounds these “vote spikes.” Critics point to suspicious vote counting practices, extreme differences between the two major candidates’ vote counts, and the timing of the vote updates, among other factors, to cast doubt on the legitimacy of some of these spikes. While data analysis cannot on its own demonstrate fraud or systemic issues, it can point us to statistically anomalous cases that invite further scrutiny. 

This is one such case: Our analysis finds that a few key vote updates in competitive states were unusually large in size and had an unusually high Biden-to-Trump ratio. We demonstrate the results differ enough from expected results to be cause for concern.”

https://votepatternanalysis.substack.com/p/voting-anomalies-2020?fbclid=IwAR3rO9CRr6zM7ug3k1YrhTYNjQvwmLz0pRT0fa2H0WGVaNb3SH1FlNFbqMY

Imagine you have a pack of smarties in your hand, you and your mate decide to guess which colour there are more off, you choose orange and your mate takes blue. You pour them out and orange has 4 of the first 5, you are flying ahead but unfortunately for you when all smarties are counted there where more blue. Outraged that the last 4 smarties were blue you demand a recount. In the smarties go to the tube, you pour them out and blue wins again. You repeat this process several times in the company of 6 different mates and the same result keeps coming up,  eventually you find somebody on the Internet that agrees to analyse the data. The internet expert agrees you with and starts raising money from other Internet experts so they can contact Nestle to demand a new tube with more orange smarties. Nestle tell them to fuck off. 

29 minutes ago, M_B said:

Actually the options barring him from office are not clear. Some articles say he must be impeached and then a second vote must pass, some say impeachment is sufficient, and some say the second vote can take place even if the impeachment fails.

I guess we'll see.

This article explains things better than me. It seems the vagueness surrounding outcomes is because it is uncharted territory.

Reuters

3 minutes ago, M_B said:

Actually the options barring him from office are not clear. Some articles say he must be impeached and then a second vote must pass, some say impeachment is sufficient, and some say the second vote can take place even if the impeachment fails.

I guess we'll see.

Yeah, it's a bit murky. Originally, I thought they could vote to bar from public office first (simple majority), then move onto the 'full' conviction (2/3rds majority). It looks like it might be the other way round though, if the full conviction fails, then that's it.

One simple way for the Republicans to wimp out would simply be for half their senators not to attend the vote- the 2/3rds majority is only based on the number voting at the time.