You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Vote due to start, any idea how long it takes ? 

Do they all go out and vote, like in U.K. or do they yeah and nay with each member asked individually ?

If they vote to impeach does it go straight to the Senate ?

Come on answer me people...

The Senate vote isn’t due until after Biden is inaugurated.

It’s a waste of time.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chocoholic said:

This guy is a hard listen, with his huge pauses, but how can he be allowed ramble on like that when he was given just one minute? Others have been cut off sharply when they overran their time.

It’s closing arguments not the timed stuff.

12 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

This is why I would look to break these companies up. You've hit the nail on the head. I honestly think the governments actually like what they do. They've built the greatest surveillance system the world has ever seen and got us all to volunteer to be survielled. Just look at last week at the Capitol. Within 24 hours the key players were identified and named. But not by the police of FBI, they were still appealing for help. They were all called out by social media. Because they know where we all are. They have our faces and can perform quick facial recognition. They've a platform with most of the world on, so you almost get access to an "informant" network of billions. The thing is, everyone is made up when it's cunts doing what they did last week. But what if this had gone the other way? What if these platforms were pro-trump, what if he'd managed to get Pence to do what he wanted and in effect implemented a coup by rejecting the certified votes? Then when there would rightly be opposition, they can stop it in a heart beat because they know who everyone is, where they are, so police services can stop any protest before it even begins. It's actually quite frightening where we are with these tech companies. I don't know how we roll it back though. 

I think when you look at the political leaders of the right, they are happy to trample on as many of those beneath them as it takes to get as high up the chain as possible.

but they are definitely the tail and not the dog, and no matter what they think is happening the dogs are in control, they are happy for the tails to thi me they are, but look at the example of Murdoch over the years, and as you state the platform Granted to Trump, which has now been whipped away.

the centre seem most concerned with maintaining a status quo that gets steadily worse year on year, like mr barraclough trying to keep order in HMP Slade.

The level of power the tech companies (or rather their investors) now wield, goes back to the old days of the Rockefeller’s Rothschilds et al, but now as well as having vast sums of financial wealth with which to influence, they have the data and knowledge via machine

learning and predictability with which to influence people at the individual level, that it seems to be game over.

how we get away from this I have no idea, I’m not sure regulation can happen unless the tech giants want it, and that would be turkey’s voting for Christmas.

• Upvote 1

Just now, clangers said:

Is it correct that they need a 2/3 majority to be found guilty by the senate however a simple majority can see him barred from office in the future? That seems to be critical, that last thing everyone needs is Trump 2024.

Ivanka or one of the other cunt kids could still run, so there's no way to block that via impeachment.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, clangers said:

Is it correct that they need a 2/3 majority to be found guilty by the senate however a simple majority can see him barred from office in the future? That seems to be critical, that last thing everyone needs is Trump 2024.

Yes, and that's probably what McConnell would like as he doesn't have to do anything.