You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

Just flicked over from CNN to Sky News where they were doing the press preview. Caught the arse end of it where both contributors said that Trump shouldn’t be impeached and that it was wrong for him to be banned by Twitter. “Like it or not, he was elected”.

Our media is officially worse than America now.

2 hours ago, No2 said:

When was the last point in history that all our main means of communication weren't in private hands?

Sorry I missed this earlier. I think the problem Cook has is the general approval of it, I checked his twitter a bit ago as well and found this that he wrote which goes into detail on what he's getting at : Twitter’s ban on Trump will only deepen the US tribal divide

8 hours ago, SasaS said:

But that is the point, it's a pointless whack-a-mole on one hand and gives a powerful tech company the right to deny service on political grounds. Amazon is here not even in FB's or Twitter's position of being responsible for content and I doubt anybody knew they were on Amazon's cloud. BTW, when clouds began I worked on promotional texts for some of the providers, they were all going on and on how the client's data will be absolutely safe, everything will be strictly separated, anonymous, your private locker in the sky etc.

Also, I don't think their motives are as innocent as you may think, Bezos is Turmp's enemy from before and all those companies will be taking positions to be in good stead with the new administration regarding calls they are too big and should be broken up, services unbundled etc. Amazon used to be world leader in cloud services so they probably have dozens or hundreds of equally or even more questionable clients.

the problem with behemoths including Amazon, FB, Paypal etc is that they are more powerful than nation states, the need to be cut down and have regulations applied, but they are now so heavily integrated politically this is unlikely to  happen, and they will continue to have such behind the curtain power into the future, why put yourself out front when you can achieve so much pulling strings - the Murdoch way.

From a technical perspective with regards cloud providers - the data is safe, everything probably was partitioned and separated from other client (for such a big app), the problem was that the application they built onto of the cloud was insecure, that is not the problem of Amazon, that issue lies with the software devs, they left the holes for the hackers to get in. 

I can build a house and put locks on all the doors and windows, top spec alarm system, Rottweiler in the garden, but if you leave your wifi unsecured, some dickhead can still drive past, hack your operating system and gain access to all of your data

7 hours ago, Section_31 said:

People need to start pushing back.

Ordinary folk are averse to conflict, that's why bullies get away with what they do.

The German soldiers who marched into the Rhineland were told to retreat if they encountered armed resistance but didn't so took the piss. Atlee's fucking hanky sealed the deal.

That's why shitbags get away with things. Entire neighbourhood in fear of teenage drug dealers on a BMX. 

That's the one thing shitbags are good at, knowing how to use your unbuilt sense of preservation against you to get what they want, allowing them to punch considerably above their weight.

Anyone who says violence never solved anything clearly haven't been paying attention. Human history is non stop violence.

Without their champion in the white House, who to be fair was the most powerful man in the world, all these cunts should be fair game for a taste of their own medicine.

If people start pushing back then as per @Bruce Spanner supporting this legitimises their actions, you cannot say it is wrong for group a to push back but ok for group b to push back.

And this isn't false equivalency, it's basic fucking sense. Some of these QAnon and Trumpo wankers believe their truth just as much as people on the other believe theirs, how can they not see the truth etc - all of the same arguments from both sides and what one uses as ammunition the other uses as defence.

The people are not the problem, the system is the problem, and the system will not change, as it doesn't want to, the people pulling the strings do not want it to, and they hold far more sway and influence than any politician, party, association or celebrity - Tom Jones couldn't rescue this shit.

The chances were spurned the UK and US as Bernie and Corby were jettisoned, that was a major signal of, we'll all carry on regardless.

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

If Parler can be wiped off the face of the earth by AWS refusing to do business with them, well they should be questioning their 3rd party risk management strategy. They aren't the only cloud provider out there. And if they are running an application that is so controversial that runs the risk of of pissing off its suppliers to an extent they no longer want to do business with them, perhaps they need a different technical solution. If they want to build a private cloud, I've got an absolutely smashing one I could sell them and I can sell them their internet solution too. 

On the other side of this, if we feel the likes of AWS are abusing their monopoly position (I personally don't think they are), there are plenty of antitrust laws globally which can be used to stop their abuse of dominant market position. 

Separately I think we need to consider the power these large tech companies hold and look at do they need to be broken up, but I don't think this is the issue here. The issue is simple, Parler is full of cunts, there has been incitement and the organisation of behaviour that has resulted in the deaths of people. It would feel for the sake of $300k per year Parler paid for their hosting fees on AWS it was hardly worth the arsing about and the reputational damage it could cause Amazon and their $280bn annual turnover. 

AWS may not be abusing their monopoly position in these circumstances, I agree, they do in plenty of other circumstances however.

Tech companies defy need to be broken up, or we (in the west) are basically living under the 7 kingdoms due to the capital and influence (both politically and at the individual level) they hold:

Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, Alphabet, MS and Apple, Paypal

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

It's a load of fucking bollocks. Nobody is stopping them talking, Trump can talk any time he wants as can the senators. All the need to do is have a press conference. But they won't, because they can't spout their shite without it being questioned. 

because the TV and Press are regulated, whereas online media is not.

48 minutes ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

The people are not the problem, the system is the problem, and the system will not change, as it doesn't want to, the people pulling the strings do not want it to, and they hold far more sway and influence than any politician, party, association or celebrity - Tom Jones couldn't rescue this shit.

The chances were spurned the UK and US as Bernie and Corby were jettisoned, that was a major signal of, we'll all carry on regardless.

The system is delighted, I'd say....

The party that has just won the right to save American democracy, save the American people and, of course, resume saving the world... will commence office NOT enacting boring policies for the betterment of its 80m subscribers (not to mention the other 70m it has promised to govern for as well), but rather with another exciting and glittering attempt at impeaching a bloke who is supported by people wearing Viking helmets and loin cloths and can't even steal a picture without tasering their own balls.

Why would the system want it even different?

This is multi-media entertainment, politics and insider trading on a reach and revenue scale never before dreamed of.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Not since Oasis split up 

A video like that that like change your entire day. I was up early with good intentions, now it be 3 o'clock before I'm satisfied I've found every video of them on the Internet.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, No2 said:

A video like that that like change your entire day. I was up early with good intentions, now it be 3 o'clock before I'm satisfied I've found every video of them on the Internet.

I’ll be learning new cords on my cock today 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, skaro said:

Social media platform as moral guardian.

Almost as absurd as political party as moral guardian.

Social media platforms have conditions of use.  If you breach those conditions you get barred. Their gaff, their rules.  It's no more absurd  than being banned from Tesco for doing the willycopter in the veg aisle.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Social media platforms have conditions of use.  If you breach those conditions you get barred. Their gaff, their rules.  It's no more absurd  than being banned from Tesco for doing the willycopter in the veg aisle.

Media rules are totally convenient and self-serving and moveable - based on control, power and money.

Like political parties.

Either as "moralists" is fucking totally absurd.

Rules my arse.

I've watched it for my 35 years in advertising.

Why didn't Twitter have the balls to ban Trump well before the cast of Game of Thrones turned up in Washington the other day?

He been spinning dangerous, divisive, inflammatory, inhuman shit for 4 years.

Parler won't be "getting their own servers" anytime soon. The sheer work involved in moving a cloud hosted service into a bare metal stack is unbelievable and unachievable in a short space of time. Even if they had a very capable team it could take at least 6 months for purchase, installation and configuration of the kit, signing of support contracts, hiring staff with hardware skills etc. They'd also have to purchase an IP range for private use off an ISP, who will likely now go the way of AWS and tell them to fuck off. 

Their most likely option is to move to another cloud provider who doesn't mind the bile the site produces. This could be tricky. They'll likely end up hosting in Russia, Belarus, Ukraine etc. They could be offline for some time. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

If people start pushing back then as per @Bruce Spanner supporting this legitimises their actions, you cannot say it is wrong for group a to push back but ok for group b to push back.

And this isn't false equivalency, it's basic fucking sense. Some of these QAnon and Trumpo wankers believe their truth just as much as people on the other believe theirs, how can they not see the truth etc - all of the same arguments from both sides and what one uses as ammunition the other uses as defence.

AWS may not be abusing their monopoly position in these circumstances, I agree, they do in plenty of other circumstances however.

Tech companies defy need to be broken up, or we (in the west) are basically living under the 7 kingdoms due to the capital and influence (both politically and at the individual level) they hold:

Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, Alphabet, MS and Apple, Paypal

But this is why we're in this mess, because we give all opinions equal weight.

One side saying: "the world is run by a satanic ring of paedophiles and president trump is fighting back, but to undermine him the election was rigged."

And the other side saying:

"That's not true".

Is not a discussion. 

The people who support actions like what was seen on capitol Hill are extremists and should be treated as such, the venom that feeds them should be cut off at the source by any means necessary. People have got years in jail over here for sharing Jihadi content, what's the difference?

None of these people just popped into view. They've been around for decades. There's always been an undercurrent of disaffected in the US, from the very first biker gangs that were started after World War two by people who didn't want to be part of society because of their experiences in combat, to fringe religious groups, survivalists and people in the deep south who still think the confederacy should have won. There's a historic of domestic terrorism with anti government people actually planting bombs (Timothy McVeigh I "think" was in that category.)

These clowns have always been a potential danger and had whole divisions of FBI assigned to track them.

The problem now is you've got a president and a fringe media infrastructure that's established a way of making money out of stoking these people's hate and mentalism. That's a direct threat to the country. If one of these clowns got their hands on a nuclear bomb would anyone be shocked or surprised to see Washington go up in smoke? Probably not, and that's fucked up. Fuckers need purging, as does everyone who enables them.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Same as any other business. 

It's not a question of being "moral guardians". If your awful behaviour keeps the money rolling in, you're welcome to breach the rules; once you become too embarrassing and start to put other customers off, you're out.

Trump or Parler getting booted is just business. 

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

But this is why we're in this mess, because we give all opinions equal weight.

One side saying: "the world is run by a satanic ring of paedophiles and president trump is fighting back, but to undermine him the election was rigged."

And the other side saying:

"That's not true".

Is not a discussion. 

The people who support actions like what was seen on capitol Hill are extremists and should be treated as such, the venom that feeds them should be cut off at the source by any means necessary. People have got years in jail over here for sharing Jihadi content, what's the difference?

None of these people just popped into view. They've been around for decades. There's always been an undercurrent of disaffected in the US, from the very first biker gangs that were started after World War two by people who didn't want to be part of society because of their experiences in combat, to fringe religious groups, survivalists and people in the deep south who still think the confederacy should have won. There's a historic of domestic terrorism with anti government people actually planting bombs (Timothy McVeigh I "think" was in that category.)

These clowns have always been a potential danger and had whole divisions of FBI assigned to track them.

The problem now is you've got a president and a fringe media infrastructure that's established a way of making money out of stoking these people's hate and mentalism. That's a direct threat to the country. If one of these clowns got their hands on a nuclear bomb would anyone be shocked or surprised to see Washington go up in smoke? Probably not, and that's fucked up. Fuckers need purging, as does everyone who enables them.

Yep.

But why wasn't some type of "censorship/banning" action taken until now?

Because it didn't suit anyone to take action until now - not because it's suddenly dangerous.

It's always been dangerous.  

The only time powerbrokers/influencers bother to take action though, is when it potentially affects the bottom line that is reliant on consumerism/populism.
They don't give a fuck about "danger".

• Upvote 1

Fox news was as bad as any conspiracy site it legitimised raving lunatics. In this country when most people didn't give a shit about Brexit the BBC was giving Nigel Farage far far more airtime than actual MPs from other partys. I look forward to Andrew Neil's new right wing channel turning this country into an even more selfish angry hateful nation.

• Upvote 1