You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

43 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Amazon kicking them out from their cloud is not exactly ideal, regardless of the content. They will go somewhere else and big tech will remain in position from which they can control political discourse. Next time they will kick someone else they don't like. Same as with Google, they sacked that right winger who criticized their gender equality policy from the right and everybody cheered. Then they sacked an AI scientist who criticized their face recognition software from the left. The moral of the story, you criticize them, they sack you. They don't like you, they deny you service. And they are apparently very powerful I hear, too powerful. 

Stormfront are still up. 

21 hours ago, Red Shift said:

So debunk the Mark Levin video as well while your at it. It might help put 7 million people (his followers) at ease and help them move on more objectively, because both those videos would have been adding fuel to the protest fire.

17 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Shifty posts a fake video then one by the worst gas lighter in US media and wants to discuss it.

Give it a rest ya fackin blert. 

As a follow up to this bullshit Levin's employers have told him to stop spouting shite or he will be fired.

20 minutes ago, Herp McDerp said:

So the cretins are fleeing parler and taking up residence on Gab. Fiven that theyre claiming that they hpst thwir own servera and dont rely on anyone else they might ba arpund for quite aome time. Hopefully keeps all the fuckwits in one corner of the internet.

Remember when Dave just turned a person in to a ghost?

They could still post but nobody could see it.

Imagine these berks literally screaming in to the viod and not having a clue why nobody is paying attention, it'd be magic.

14 minutes ago, Herp McDerp said:

So the cretins are fleeing parler and taking up residence on Gab. Fiven that theyre claiming that they hpst thwir own servera and dont rely on anyone else they might ba arpund for quite aome time. Hopefully keeps all the fuckwits in one corner of the internet.

Are you typing this on a turnip?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

Amazon kicking them out from their cloud is not exactly ideal, regardless of the content. They will go somewhere else and big tech will remain in position from which they can control political discourse. Next time they will kick someone else they don't like. Same as with Google, they sacked that right winger who criticized their gender equality policy from the right and everybody cheered. Then they sacked an AI scientist who criticized their face recognition software from the left. The moral of the story, you criticize them, they sack you. They don't like you, they deny you service. And they are apparently very powerful I hear, too powerful. 

Did Parler get kicked off for criticising Amazon or for inciting murder? 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Did Parler get kicked off for criticising Amazon or for inciting murder? 

Oh, now you like Amazon and Jeff Bezos? As a rule, I think if you are "inciting murder", it is not up to the private business to act against you, it should be under the purview of the judiciary and law enforcing agencies.

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

I have no idea what this guy is talking about - one for you techies - however I can’t help but feel that if this is correct about the information gleaned, that the word ‘motherlode’ should have been used in there somewhere.

BlueMountainDace

10h

Here is a description of what went down according to someone with far greater technical knowledge than me: 

"so a group of developers latched onto the Press Release that Twilio put out at midnight last night. In that Press Release, Twilio accidentally revealed which services Parler was using. Turns out it was all of the security authentications that were used to register a user. This allowed anyone to create a user, and not have to verify an email address, and immediately have a logged-on account.

Well, because of that access, it gave them access to the behind the login box API that is used to deliver content -- ALL CONTENT (parleys, video, images, user profiles, user information, etc) --. But what it also did was revealed which USERS had "Administration" rights, "Moderation" rights.

Well, then what happened, those user accounts that had Administration rights to the entire platform... The hackers, internet warriors, call it what you will, was able to use the forgot password link to change the password. Why? Because Twilio was no longer authenticating emails. This meant, they'd get directly to the reset password screen of that Administration user.

This group of Internet Warriors then used that account, to create a handful of other ADMINISTRATION accounts, and then created a script that ended up creating MILLIONS of fake administration accounts.

Now that they had a way of creating admin accounts without interruption, they created a Docker Image (basically a virtual machine) called a Warrior, that anyone could download, and when fired up, would immediately start collecting data off of Parlre, in a coordinated fashion.

Consider it like SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) that people used to load up as screen savers when their computers were not being used. Same concept, crowdsourcing.

All of this data, the videos, the images, the posts, the metadata (including the GEO location of all images and videos, and the connections to the accounts that posted it, has been (since midnight) being uploaded to various cloud drives and storage arrays for the purposes of Archiving this information, for later retrieval by law enforcement, by the public, by Open Source Intelligence communities.

And the kicker.. is this: all of this information was thought to be secure and private by individuals who were making the posts. A significant number of those individuals went through the process of being a "Verified Citizen" on Parler. What does that mean?

It means they uploaded a picture of the front and back of their REAL State Driver's License........ Let that sink in for a second.

I am positive the FBI has been actively soaking in this information along with the Internet Warriors, but this is how they are going to officially track down.

And it's how the FBI, DHS, and FAA have been able to immediately and exhaustively create no-fly lists. Every verified attendee of the Capitol riot where they can find a real name has been placed on No-Fly Lists.

It might seem like a small geeky glitch or hack.. but in the age of Information warfare... this is the silver bullet for the people who used Parler as a place to organize their efforts.

Also, a lot of posts were deleted by Parler members after the riots on the 6th. Turned out... Parler didn't actually delete anything.. just set a bit as deleted.

Guess what has access to all "deleted" content?

Administrator accounts."

The problem with this is it will allow Trump to front an alternative platform to go with the alternative new station he will undoubtedly get involved with. Subscription based and the grift continues. He was already talking last week when he was banned from twitter of crating his own platform. 

24 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Oh, now you like Amazon and Jeff Bezos? As a rule, I think if you are "inciting murder", it is not up to the private business to act against you, it should be under the purview of the judiciary and law enforcing agencies.

I think if I ran a technology platform that a client was using to incite murder, I might consider that relationship 1. to be a breach of T&C's as I am sure they will require them to be used for legal purposes and not illegal and 2. an potential reputational risk to my brand. Anyone with any brain would rightly fuck them off, it is a simple business decision. 

EDIT - it's a little like when H&G were trying to refinance LFC and we ensured all of the banks, hedgefunds and PE investors they went to knew it would be reputationally damaging if they took that business. 

It's clear that with Parler right-wingers on there can come out with all types of shit and because it's a free speech site nothing is removed. It's also not good how powerful corps like google, apple, facebook and amazon have become. Amazon have just wiped a huge site off the net which might be fine to many seeing as it's Parler but in the future they could do it again to other big sites when the reasons aren't so clear. It's not healthy and eventually there has to be some type of alternative solution to how this works because if it isn't solved it's a monopoly and they can shut down all competition.

And no this isn't about me being upset about Parler it's about the bigger picture. I think Anubis might have been on Parler more over the last week or so looking a what Trumpsters have been raving about than I've ever been on there, unless he's been getting those screenshots from someone else. And no I don't think Anubis is a right wing Trump supporter.

We should be able to raise concerns about these corps and the power they have without that leading to accusations of being right wingers, etc, though. It's not good at all to ignore that these corps are/could be monopolies just because some raving Trumpsters have been shut down on Parler.

Monopoly claims

The lawsuits come as US regulators are taking a closer look at the power enjoyed by tech companies.

This summer, the bosses of Google, Amazon, Facebook and Apple were forced to testify before Congress, as part of a bigger investigation of their influence on the market.

In October, the Department of Justice sued Google, accusing the search giant of violating US competition laws to maintain a monopoly on internet searches and online advertising.

More than 2.5 billion people use one of Facebook's apps each day. The firm, valued at nearly $800bn, employs more than 56,000 people and reported more than $18bn in profit last year.

The Open Markets Institute, a Washington think tank that has been pushing regulators to take a more aggressive stance against tech companies, said the lawsuits were a "critical step" forward.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55250366

And it's probably not a good idea to think the Biden admin is going to do much about this unless enough people speak out either :

10 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Amazon have just wiped a huge site off the net which might be fine to many seeing as it's Parler but in the future they could do it again to other big sites when the reasons aren't so clear.

The site still exists - it just can't be hosted on AWS. Fair enough really - they are a private company with T&C's and it's their resources, not a national platform. Parler should really have had a plan to deal with that possibility and they are free to invest in their own servers or to try a different provider. Bad planning on their part really - if you allow unmoderated hate speech on your platform, some folks might get pissed off about it.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I would still prefer if police arrested people and put them in jail with all the rights and regulations, to a local baker incarcerating potential criminals in his cellar.

Give it a rest - no private business is incarcerating anyone. They make business decisions based on the best outcome for their - erm - business. Cuz, well, it is theirs after all.

There are literally hundreds of options to run virtual machines on and gazillions of terrabytes of server space throughout the world - Amazon just happens to be the easiest for numpties.

And, in the spirit of a free economy if there is a demand for a service someone will fill it.

• Upvote 1

Free speech sounds great, and in one big forum with all speech, hate speech can be challenged. The problem with Parler or gab is that they only really attract those hate filled lunatics as most people dont give a shit about twitter's t&C's because they don't need to. So instead of parler having a platform that has all types of speech, they essentially just have a hate speech platform, and a horrifyingly potent and dangerous echo chamber.

16 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Give it a rest - no private business is incarcerating anyone. They make business decisions based on the best outcome for their - erm - business. Cuz, well, it is theirs after all.

There are literally hundreds of options to run virtual machines on and gazillions of terrabytes of server space throughout the world - Amazon just happens to be the easiest for numpties.

And, in the spirit of a free economy if there is a demand for a service someone will fill it.

But that is the point, it's a pointless whack-a-mole on one hand and gives a powerful tech company the right to deny service on political grounds. Amazon is here not even in FB's or Twitter's position of being responsible for content and I doubt anybody knew they were on Amazon's cloud. BTW, when clouds began I worked on promotional texts for some of the providers, they were all going on and on how the client's data will be absolutely safe, everything will be strictly separated, anonymous, your private locker in the sky etc.

Also, I don't think their motives are as innocent as you may think, Bezos is Turmp's enemy from before and all those companies will be taking positions to be in good stead with the new administration regarding calls they are too big and should be broken up, services unbundled etc. Amazon used to be world leader in cloud services so they probably have dozens or hundreds of equally or even more questionable clients.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, M_B said:

The site still exists - it just can't be hosted on AWS. Fair enough really - they are a private company with T&C's and it's their resources, not a national platform. Parler should really have had a plan to deal with that possibility and they are free to invest in their own servers or to try a different provider. Bad planning on their part really - if you allow unmoderated hate speech on your platform, some folks might get pissed off about it.

Yeah Parler can't simply blame it all on others agreed. If Parler's owner isn't bullshitting though his recent comments are also a concern : that because of statements from Amazon, Google and Apple about dropping Parler, other places they turned to for hosting also turned them away. That kind of goes against the idea that if you don't like certain corps use others, if they're grouping up to decline services because those with monopoly power have spoken from on high and they've followed suit.

I was thinking about the servers part earlier too which should be the best solution if it can be afforded. It looks like any serious social media corp that's of a decent size wanting to feel safe about keeping their site online might be best investing in their own as soon as they're able to, instead of relying on people like Bezos to keep the amazon servers connected.