You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

On 07/01/2021 at 22:04, Bjornebye said:

Did you get any decent memorabilia mate? 

Yeah he got the Fascii that adorn the walls either side of the rostrum in the House - not sure if they’re the same ones used by Mussolini or not though....

...that was a joke btw

F358F68C-3D69-4C0B-8E68-A06CE6E5C8FB.png

On 07/01/2021 at 22:38, clangers said:

This is the whole lunacy of it, a substantial number of Americans quite prepared to take Trump's view at face value that the election was somehow rigged without any evidence or even a clear outline of how it happened. Bear in mind that in conspiracy terms we're up there with the moon landing's now. A conspiracy involving hundreds of thousands of illegitimate votes with effectively the active participation of much of the GOP itself (govenors, judges etc).

No evidence has been provided and in over 50 legal proceedings only 1 minor infraction has been supported.

Indeed the only indivdual guitly of actively trying to subvert the election is Trump himself attempting to find votes in Georgia.

Bottom line is we're dealing with a deeply disturbed narcassistic indvidual who cannot accept loss and failure.

I think its got everything to do with the way it unfolded on the night, in those key battleground states, particularly Pennsylvania, where, Trump was waaaaaay waaaaay ahead - hundreds of thousands in fact - and then they stopped counting - for what ever reason (pretty sure it was Pennsylvania, but correct me if I’m wrong) and then the following morning due to those mail in ballots, hey presto Biden is in front after a huge ‘behind the scenes’ vote dump, that wasn’t particularly transparent, in that it didn’t happen on live tv before their very eyes. Add in ‘big tech’ with their machines doing the count and a few pc programmers behind the scenes and you get huge cries of ‘cheating’

The icing on the cake was Trump’s speech at the end of the night. “ I was winning and they stopped the election”

lets face it, if you’re a suspicious person to begin with (or high on conspiracy theory) as most of these parler lot are, its not a good look for an election, when your horse is pipped at the post.

Finally, all this happened during a Covid epidemic, with Psychologists already telling us, that lockdown has been having an effect on everybody’s mental health. 

6 hours ago, Moo said:

Dunno but she has gone on to be a bit of an eco-warrior getting arrested once on an oil drilling protest.  She seems a decent lass.

And Xena pisses all over Hercules.

To be fair I think I'd let Xena piss all over me too. 

• Like 1

On 08/01/2021 at 01:53, Gnasher said:

Agreed. Polls showed Bernie Sanders miles ahead of Trump in the election before last. The yanks had had enough of hawkish Clinton and Trump offered an alternative. If the Democrats had played fair and given Saunders his chance their would be no Trump presidency. As over here and as over France centre ground Democrats have a lot to answer for, they refuse to back their man and open the door to the extremist candidate. Anyone remotely left wing spooks them.

Even I felt The Bern. Tragic that. To be fair, he was and is, too fucking good for the whitehouse.

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Lots of the ‘peaceful protesters’ are finding out that they are on no-fly lists with airlines and are stuck in DC. Sad. 

Luckily, with their penchant for fancy dress, they shouldn't be too difficult to round up.

Cherchez Le Loincloth.

A few respectable Tommy Hilfigers might slip through the net mind.

I have no idea what this guy is talking about - one for you techies - however I can’t help but feel that if this is correct about the information gleaned, that the word ‘motherlode’ should have been used in there somewhere.

BlueMountainDace

10h

Here is a description of what went down according to someone with far greater technical knowledge than me: 

"so a group of developers latched onto the Press Release that Twilio put out at midnight last night. In that Press Release, Twilio accidentally revealed which services Parler was using. Turns out it was all of the security authentications that were used to register a user. This allowed anyone to create a user, and not have to verify an email address, and immediately have a logged-on account.

Well, because of that access, it gave them access to the behind the login box API that is used to deliver content -- ALL CONTENT (parleys, video, images, user profiles, user information, etc) --. But what it also did was revealed which USERS had "Administration" rights, "Moderation" rights.

Well, then what happened, those user accounts that had Administration rights to the entire platform... The hackers, internet warriors, call it what you will, was able to use the forgot password link to change the password. Why? Because Twilio was no longer authenticating emails. This meant, they'd get directly to the reset password screen of that Administration user.

This group of Internet Warriors then used that account, to create a handful of other ADMINISTRATION accounts, and then created a script that ended up creating MILLIONS of fake administration accounts.

Now that they had a way of creating admin accounts without interruption, they created a Docker Image (basically a virtual machine) called a Warrior, that anyone could download, and when fired up, would immediately start collecting data off of Parlre, in a coordinated fashion.

Consider it like SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) that people used to load up as screen savers when their computers were not being used. Same concept, crowdsourcing.

All of this data, the videos, the images, the posts, the metadata (including the GEO location of all images and videos, and the connections to the accounts that posted it, has been (since midnight) being uploaded to various cloud drives and storage arrays for the purposes of Archiving this information, for later retrieval by law enforcement, by the public, by Open Source Intelligence communities.

And the kicker.. is this: all of this information was thought to be secure and private by individuals who were making the posts. A significant number of those individuals went through the process of being a "Verified Citizen" on Parler. What does that mean?

It means they uploaded a picture of the front and back of their REAL State Driver's License........ Let that sink in for a second.

I am positive the FBI has been actively soaking in this information along with the Internet Warriors, but this is how they are going to officially track down.

And it's how the FBI, DHS, and FAA have been able to immediately and exhaustively create no-fly lists. Every verified attendee of the Capitol riot where they can find a real name has been placed on No-Fly Lists.

It might seem like a small geeky glitch or hack.. but in the age of Information warfare... this is the silver bullet for the people who used Parler as a place to organize their efforts.

Also, a lot of posts were deleted by Parler members after the riots on the 6th. Turned out... Parler didn't actually delete anything.. just set a bit as deleted.

Guess what has access to all "deleted" content?

Administrator accounts."

4 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Parler is dead, apparently. 

Free speech advocates will bemoan this. But, you can't just have a website where inciting murder is your average, run of the mill post. 

Amazon kicking them out from their cloud is not exactly ideal, regardless of the content. They will go somewhere else and big tech will remain in position from which they can control political discourse. Next time they will kick someone else they don't like. Same as with Google, they sacked that right winger who criticized their gender equality policy from the right and everybody cheered. Then they sacked an AI scientist who criticized their face recognition software from the left. The moral of the story, you criticize them, they sack you. They don't like you, they deny you service. And they are apparently very powerful I hear, too powerful. 

36 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I have no idea what this guy is talking about - one for you techies - however I can’t help but feel that if this is correct about the information gleaned, that the word ‘motherlode’ should have been used in there somewhere.

BlueMountainDace

10h

Here is a description of what went down according to someone with far greater technical knowledge than me: 

"so a group of developers latched onto the Press Release that Twilio put out at midnight last night. In that Press Release, Twilio accidentally revealed which services Parler was using. Turns out it was all of the security authentications that were used to register a user. This allowed anyone to create a user, and not have to verify an email address, and immediately have a logged-on account.

Well, because of that access, it gave them access to the behind the login box API that is used to deliver content -- ALL CONTENT (parleys, video, images, user profiles, user information, etc) --. But what it also did was revealed which USERS had "Administration" rights, "Moderation" rights.

Well, then what happened, those user accounts that had Administration rights to the entire platform... The hackers, internet warriors, call it what you will, was able to use the forgot password link to change the password. Why? Because Twilio was no longer authenticating emails. This meant, they'd get directly to the reset password screen of that Administration user.

This group of Internet Warriors then used that account, to create a handful of other ADMINISTRATION accounts, and then created a script that ended up creating MILLIONS of fake administration accounts.

Now that they had a way of creating admin accounts without interruption, they created a Docker Image (basically a virtual machine) called a Warrior, that anyone could download, and when fired up, would immediately start collecting data off of Parlre, in a coordinated fashion.

Consider it like SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) that people used to load up as screen savers when their computers were not being used. Same concept, crowdsourcing.

All of this data, the videos, the images, the posts, the metadata (including the GEO location of all images and videos, and the connections to the accounts that posted it, has been (since midnight) being uploaded to various cloud drives and storage arrays for the purposes of Archiving this information, for later retrieval by law enforcement, by the public, by Open Source Intelligence communities.

And the kicker.. is this: all of this information was thought to be secure and private by individuals who were making the posts. A significant number of those individuals went through the process of being a "Verified Citizen" on Parler. What does that mean?

It means they uploaded a picture of the front and back of their REAL State Driver's License........ Let that sink in for a second.

I am positive the FBI has been actively soaking in this information along with the Internet Warriors, but this is how they are going to officially track down.

And it's how the FBI, DHS, and FAA have been able to immediately and exhaustively create no-fly lists. Every verified attendee of the Capitol riot where they can find a real name has been placed on No-Fly Lists.

It might seem like a small geeky glitch or hack.. but in the age of Information warfare... this is the silver bullet for the people who used Parler as a place to organize their efforts.

Also, a lot of posts were deleted by Parler members after the riots on the 6th. Turned out... Parler didn't actually delete anything.. just set a bit as deleted.

Guess what has access to all "deleted" content?

Administrator accounts."

Sounds great, but as a follow up-

This is effectively entirely incorrect and it bothers me it's been upvoted so much. Someone reverse engineered the Parler iOS application, found an API endpoint (basically a web address that is used by the application internally to get data) that allowed them to enumerate the "public ID" of all posts, videos, comments, etc. Those public IDs are now being used to get the content. That's it. That's the whole story.