You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

23 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Well this is embarrassing. One of the fucknuts they all listen to online is British. 

I got halfway through and realised he is projecting that Trump will be inaugurated as President again. He's got a few suprises coming, I would imagine the Police and National Guard will be more prepared for their next 'phases'.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Arnie starts off well then descends into the American being deeply up their own arse self proclaimed great hope of all humanity bullshit. Their view of themselves makes me cringe beyond belief. 

Expect plenty of bilious over-compensation in that regard in the next 4 years, as they try to regain the exemplary and immaculate perch Trump has knocked them off.

2 hours ago, Red Shift said:

I had no idea it was fake. It’s been circulating for a while, and with all the Trump hate shit going down, I thought it was real. Everybody seems to have a camera in any given situation. It’s getting harder to tell the truth from the jokes.

So debunk the Mark Levin video as well while your at it. It might help put 7 million people (his followers) at ease and help them move on more objectively, because both those videos would have been adding fuel to the protest fire.

My comment was about the second clip and I know almost nothing about the constitution but I'll give it a go.

The Levin video fails to mention the pandemic. This worries me. In a pandemic it would be dereliction of duty for elected officials to insist on people gathering to vote - you therefore have to facilitate postal voting on a much greater scale than is normal and that might be at odds with the constitution, which was not written with a pandemic in mind. I do not know if this is the case here but Levin fails to mention it - that makes me suspicious.

The video seems to suggest that enabling more people to vote is a bad thing. I guess it is if they are not going to vote for your party, whatever that might be. I take the view that in a healthy democracy, you make it simple for as many to vote as possible while ensuring electoral security, ie people don't vote twice, dead people don't vote, etc.

Finally, Trump brought 60 law suits and failed to provide any compelling evidence that electoral fraud had occurred. The one case he won was not about fraud. Some of the judges in these cases must have been sympathetic - presumably they were Republicans and Trump appointees. If Levin's case is so strong, if the vote in some states were unconstitutional, why was this not presented in court? Why did the SC, which is now loaded in favour of the Republican party, chose to reject the case brought by Trump? Are we really suggesting that all these Republicans judges are in on the conspiracy to steal the election or is it simply that there was no fraud on a scale that would have had an impact on the result?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, mars said:

My comment was about the second clip and I know almost nothing about the constitution but I'll give it a go.

The Levin video fails to mention the pandemic. This worries me. In a pandemic it would be dereliction of duty for elected officials to insist on people gathering to vote - you therefore have to facilitate postal voting on a much greater scale than is normal and that might be at odds with the constitution, which was not written with a pandemic in mind. I do not know if this is the case here but Levin fails to mention it - that makes me suspicious.

The video seems to suggest that enabling more people to vote is a bad thing. I guess it is if they are not going to vote for your party, whatever that might be. I take the view that in a healthy democracy, you make it simple for as many to vote as possible while ensuring electoral security, ie people don't vote twice, dead people don't vote, etc.

Finally, Trump brought 60 law suits and failed to provide any compelling evidence that electoral fraud had occurred. The one case he won was not about fraud. Some of the judges in these cases must have been sympathetic - presumably they were Republicans and Trump appointees. If Levin's case is so strong, if the vote in some states were unconstitutional, why was this not presented in court? Why did the SC, which is now loaded in favour of the Republican party, chose to reject the case brought by Trump? Are we really suggesting that all these Republicans judges are in on the conspiracy to steal the election or is it simply that there was no fraud on a scale that would have had an impact on the result?

Absolutely the pandemic made this a unique election, and absolutely the use of mail in ballots was a given, for it to be a functioning one. Levin does touch on it, indicating  the mail in ballots being almost unilaterally sent out, but clearly stating that from his perspective, the ballots needed to be requested, to be legal, and in so many cases, they weren’t. He also seems to point to an inability to process those ballots under federal and/or state requirements - maybe overwhelmed?- leading to many of them not being scrutinised properly, leading to illegal votes - again, possibly.

As to Trump’s legal defence, clearly now their incompetence in there for all to see, and not asking the right questions may have been an issue.

However, really the point I’m making here, is that this Levin spout, is typical of what uneducated ordinary people have to try to understand and either agree or disagree with, and its everywhere on right wing tv. If you’re a conservative - shall we say pro Trump - then you’re going to start to falsely put two and two together, getting three instead of two. 

I’m simply trying to understand how a large portion of nearly 80 million Americans came to think that the election was stolen

1 minute ago, Red Shift said:

Absolutely the pandemic made this a unique election, and absolutely the use of mail in ballots was a given, for it to be a functioning one. Levin does touch on it, indicating  the mail in ballots being almost unilaterally sent out, but clearly stating that from his perspective, the ballots needed to be requested, to be legal, and in so many cases, they weren’t. He also seems to point to an inability to process those ballots under federal and/or state requirements - maybe overwhelmed?- leading to many of them not being scrutinised properly, leading to illegal votes - again, possibly.

As to Trump’s legal defence, clearly now their incompetence in there for all to see, and not asking the right questions may have been an issue.

However, really the point I’m making here, is that this Levin spout, is typical of what uneducated ordinary people have to try to understand and either agree or disagree with, and its everywhere on right wing tv. If you’re a conservative - shall we say pro Trump - then you’re going to start to falsely put two and two together, getting three instead of two. 

I’m simply trying to understand how a large portion of nearly 80 million Americans came to think that the election was stolen

Nearly 80 million don’t think it was stolen 

1 minute ago, Red Shift said:

I know.

Polling show 40/50% Republicans believe some of this shite, ‘some of’ being the most important point, as we don’t really know the depths of feeling or what they actually believe.

However the same polling showed 30/40% of independents believed some of it with 15/20% of Democrats also buying in to some.

Now obviously you can’t generalise, but those figures are mad. The Republicans I get, they watch partisan news which fills their head with shite and using the same idea you can also explain the indies within reason, but a fifth of Democrats buy in to some of this? 

Something has gone terribly wrong in America of this is true.

5 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

It is a fascinating question but also terrifying. It's up there with "How can 37% of UK citizens think Johnson is doing a good job given 80 000 deaths?". Do people really believe that Republican judges sold out?

Be interesting to see how Trump supporters react to the $1.3 billion defamation law suit Dominion is bringing against Sidney Powell - presumably she will release another Kraken.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Polling show 40/50% Republicans believe some of this shite, ‘some of’ being the most important point, as we don’t really know the depths of feeling or what they actually believe.

However the same polling showed 30/40% of independents believed some of it with 15/20% of Democrats also buying in to some.

Now obviously you can’t generalise, but those figures are mad. The Republicans I get, they watch partisan news which fills their head with shite and using the same idea you can also explain the indies within reason, but a fifth of Democrats buy in to some of this? 

Something has gone terribly wrong in America of this is true.

The way polling questions are phrased has everything to do with the outcome.

If you asked me "Are there problems with the way votes are recorded and tabulated" I would answer yes. Of course there are - you are talking about nearly 200 million instances - some small % of them have to be incorrect. They have been in every election ever. 

Now, what if you asked - "Do you believe the outcome of the election was rigged?" - really you are now on the fringes of the population.

Levin is another crank radio host who believes we should defend democracy and the constitution by ignoring democracy and the constitution. The fact that clip was on Hannity tells you everything. 

The fact they dropped Fox news on election night, confirms they had already made their minds up prior to the election. If Trump lost it was because it was stolen, if they don't need evidence to believe this, then evidence is not going to change their mind.

As an aside, 40% of Americans believe man was created in their current form less than 10000 years ago. 

40% seems to be a common number for nutjob believers.

• Upvote 2