You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

The evangelical stuff goes hand in hand with trumpism though because it's all about suspending belief in your immediate senses and having faith that things will work out.

This is not an anti religious rant, but more about the place that evangelism holds in deprived rust belt communities.

Endless rows of closed shops, abject poverty, no hope, but 18 churches on every corner. Go, pay your money, sing your song, and one day all will be well.

That's what trumpism is. "One day" covid will just "go away". One day America will be like the 50s again, one day coal mines will reopen again, and so on and so on.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The evangelical stuff goes hand in hand with trumpism though because it's all about suspending belief in your immediate senses and having faith that things will work out.

This is not an anti religious rant, but more about the place that evangelism holds in deprived rust belt communities.

Endless rows of closed shops, abject poverty, no hope, but 18 churches on every corner. Go, pay your money, sing your song, and one day all will be well.

That's what trumpism is. "One day" covid will just "go away". One day America will be like the 50s again, one day coal mines will reopen again, and so on and so on.

Oh, yeah, on a venn diagram the central cross over would be packed.

10 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Good post. Nuance. Sadly lacking in some of this thread.

Whether or not the number was a million or so (ok I was inaccurate in my estimation) or several hundred thousand, or two hundred thousand or only 100 thousand, only a fraction of the assembled crowds of people chose to cross the very distinct boundary, and forcibly enter the building.

Did they have grievances? Well yes, they had mainstream tv and amateur video circulating post election either pointing the finger at the dems for running an unconstitutional campaign, or worse, hinting at official tampering of ballots.

It certainly wasn’t  conjured up out of their rich imagination.

That last clip is a fake - see https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-prank-video/fact-check-prank-video-does-not-show-poll-worker-destroying-a-trump-ballot-idUSKBN27Q1NU?edition-redirect=uk

Why are you posting this drivel?

16 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

And they don’t seem fazed by the fact that the man they put their faith in treats the Seven Deadly Sins like a daily to-do list. 

22 minutes ago, mars said:

Because old people will believe anything and everything they see online/on WhatsApp.

I'm quite jealous of the yanks at the moment, most of their establishment seems to be aligned against their madman, over here ours is largely in support of ours. Most of their legitimate news organisations oppose their madman, and always have, most of ours are in support. If America was Britain, when the capitol riots were going off CNN would be talking about Bernie Sanders.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'm quite jealous of the yanks at the moment, most of their establishment seems to be aligned against their madman, over here ours is largely in support of ours. Most of their legitimate news organisations oppose their madman, and always have, most of ours are in support. If America was Britain, when the capitol riots were going off CNN would be talking about Bernie Sanders.

I was thinking about that the other day, imagining CNN’s coverage of our bumbling response to COVID.

I’m a bit conflicted about it though because as much as I hate Blow Job, I don’t think he’s in the same ballpark as Trump.

I’m not sure I trust the likes of CNN to properly hold the Democrats to account either. They just want everything back to “normal”, which as we know it’s now what is needed.

I read Kovler’s 21st Dec thread yesterday. He was pretty accurate.

I’m not sure Trump 2024 is the worry. At the moment I’m looking at Hawley. Young. Photogenic compared to Trump. Clearly more articulate. And making the right noises to the Trump base. Autocrat in the making.

17 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I was thinking about that the other day, imagining CNN’s coverage of our bumbling response to COVID.

I’m a bit conflicted about it though because as much as I hate Blow Job, I don’t think he’s in the same ballpark as Trump.

I’m not sure I trust the likes of CNN to properly hold the Democrats to account either. They just want everything back to “normal”, which as we know it’s now what is needed.

They’re both doing their best to undermine democracy and limit fundamental freedoms, checks and balances.

They’re very much singing from the same hymn sheet.

One in a much more overt way, the other opted for the nefarious route...

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/10/26/britains-democratic-fabric-being-eroded-boris-johnsons-government

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/09/boris-johnson-s-trump-style-assault-british-institutions-threat-democracy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/boris-johnson-general-election-brexit-courts-legal-gina-miller-a9218256.html%3Famp

And so on, they’ve been chipping away since they got in.

• Upvote 1

The cops had no chance in some areas with the numbers they had and maybe some of the footage isn't giving the full picture, like them "opening the barrier", etc. This looks more like them accepting defeat in this area then falling back :

Some here didn't want them through but had no choice (this was linked in the above thread)

28 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

They’re both doing their best to undermine democracy and limit fundamental freedoms, checks and balances.

They’re very much singing from the same hymn sheet.

One in a much more overt way, the other opted for the nefarious route...

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/10/26/britains-democratic-fabric-being-eroded-boris-johnsons-government

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/09/boris-johnson-s-trump-style-assault-british-institutions-threat-democracy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/boris-johnson-general-election-brexit-courts-legal-gina-miller-a9218256.html%3Famp

And so on, they’ve been chipping away since they got in.

I don’t envisage a situation where Blow Job would dispute an election result and incite a mob to storm Parliament.

Of course they are both right wing cunts but there are some major, glaring differences which is what I am alluding to.

One is an incompetent stooge, the other is a dangerous despotic cunt.