You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

11 hours ago, Jenson said:

The Munich Beer Hall Putsch comes to mind.

Yes, it failed.

And then they came to power via the ballot box.

With right wing loons (just as with nice citizens) democracy is the more efficacious enabler than speeches at a piss up or some crazies storming a militarily-protected government fortress.

I'd be more worried about 70+ million votes rising, than a "coup"... whether Trump is made an "example" of, or not.

A Trump lynching will only be political icing on the cake for people that have already got what they voted for: a Trump defeat.

It won't take the vote or necessarily the zeal away from the other "half" of the voting population; the "deplorables".

I think democracy is a far bigger catalyst and instrument of the far-right than Trump.

That, I reckon, is a real conundrum.

• Upvote 1

I'm warming to yellowstone man, I reckon he'd be a buzzer on a night out. If he doesn't get locked up he could be a decent candidate in 2024.

One thing I'm struggling with is the paper clip program, if the yanks hired 150 top nazis to implement programs for the CIA, wouldn't they be a little bit dead or certainly past their best?

13 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'm warming to yellowstone man, I reckon he'd be a buzzer on a night out. If he doesn't get locked up he could be a decent candidate in 2024.

One thing I'm struggling with is the paper clip program, if the yanks hired 150 top nazis to implement programs for the CIA, wouldn't they be a little bit dead or certainly past their best?

Yellowstone man could well run for vice prez alongside John Voight for the main job. The yanks love an actor/cowboy/unhinged loon combination for high office.

20 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

What should have happened?

Something non-lethal. Try pushing her back through the door, use a baton, use rubber bullets aimed at a place that wouldn't risk killing or permanently injuring her. I'm sure the cops are able to work it out if they're bothered enough in the future so that this happens less.

1 minute ago, skaro said:

I was actually being a little facetious, Howie.

You know how I can be sometimes.  A twat.

I took it as serious because inappropriate police action/force and funding/ training were one of the platforms that got elected this term. So I agree.

You are a twat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Something non-lethal. Try pushing her back through the door, use a baton, use rubber bullets aimed at a place that wouldn't risk killing or permanently injuring her. I'm sure the cops are able to work it out if they're bothered enough in the future so that this happens less.

You mean folks storming the Capitol ( cuz it has happened like, erm - well once in 200 years)  or are you suggesting this in any way resembles the multitude of police shootings on a regular basis?

I also DO happen to think cops should be re-trained - as part of rethinking the whole, "bearing arms and killing people is a fine and dandy and acceptable first-line of self-defence" American society shit-show.

But I reckon there's as much chance of that happening as there is of the Dems dropping their orange man impeachment dreams.

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You mean folks storming the Capitol ( cuz it has happened like, erm - well once in 200 years)  or are you suggesting this in any way resembles the multitude of police shootings on a regular basis?

It's 2021, I'm sure the cops can find ways of doing things differently so that less people die. I'm not saying they all go around looking for people to kill, but some lives could surely be saved if they used less lethal methods and like skaro said (even if not being serious. edit : i just saw the last post so agreed on that too), were also trained at least a bit differently. It's not really controversial I don't think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

It's 2021, I'm sure the cops can find ways of doing things differently so that less people die. I'm not saying they all go around looking for people to kill, but some lives could surely be saved if they used less lethal methods and like skaro said (even if not being serious), were also trained at least a bit differently. It's not really controversial I don't think.

You didn't answer the question. Do you think this particular incident had anything in common with what could easily be termed as "every other cop shooting in the last 200 years?"

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

You didn't answer the question. Do you think this particular incident had anything in common with what could easily be termed as "every other cop shooting in the last 200 years?"

No, I get that this wasn't any type of normal situation, it doesn't and never will mean that I think her being shot like that was ok though.

I can't get my head around these conversations at times. I'm supposed to be a Trump supporter at one point, then the next I'm being lectured on why an unarmed civilian should've been shot. Are these two things supposed to go together properly? Because I'm not seeing it.