You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, skaro said:

Show? 

Station.

One of the things the right in America did which was genius/evil was buy up all of the small independant radio stations and pumped out propaganda through these, so you have Taylor Swift followed by news which is only critical of Democrats, followed by an interview with a loon.

Normalises the ideas and attitudes as it's done discreetly, but it's so fucking insidious.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, skaro said:

... to move on, consigning him to the has-been basket?  Yes.

Preferable to giving him extra PR, and ammunition, and fire-flaming he doesn't deserve.

As for his 77m acolytes... they might be more of a problem.

Do you reckon they'll go away, be scared off, if he's "brought to justice", made an example of?

No, they won’t go away or be scared off by it. But if you do nothing, then you set a precedent that the President can do what he wants without being held to account.

If you think that’s a reasonable thing, then fair enough but I don’t.

There has to be consequences for this kind of stuff otherwise it becomes normalised and accepted, which will lead to it happening again or even worse.

I’ve been saying for years that he needs removing or people will die in his name. Some said it was hysterical but now it’s happened. If he’s allowed to get away with it, then worse is yet to come.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, skaro said:

Show? 

Station.

I don't reckon he could be arsed, talk of him doing some kind of Fox News rival but I don't see it, I don't think he's political, all he cares about is money and anything that enables him to make more money. He'll get a talk show or some kind of platform where he's the centre of attention. 

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

One of the things the right in America did which was genius/evil was buy up all of the small independant radio stations and pumped out propaganda through these, so you have Taylor Swift followed by news which is only critical of Democrats, followed by an interview with a loon.

Normalises the ideas and attitudes as it's done discreetly, but it's so fucking insidious.

Yeah, but that would never happen over here...

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

They're doing it over here now too, some 'local grassroots news' organisations masquerading as local news websites, filling the gaps made by newspaper closures but often with some very dubious funders. They're bedding in at the moment and keeping their head down, but no doubt someone somewhere will flick a switch at some stage. 

This is the only place the right has to go now because they've lost the argument, the type of economics they believe in is so clearly and obviously flawed that they can only get by by stoking shit with propaganda. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Yeah, but that would never happen over here...

Already is on a smaller scale...

These ideas are being replicated throughout the world, there's a strategy to all of this, it's not by accident and not without research of effect.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/21/dominic-cummings-thinktank-called-for-end-of-bbc-in-current-form

It's why i'm so defensive of the BBC, despite it's current state, it's the first real domino towards us adopting the American system and then we're fucked.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

These ideas are being replicated throughout the world, there's a strategy to all of this, it's not by accident and not without research of effect.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/21/dominic-cummings-thinktank-called-for-end-of-bbc-in-current-form

It's why i'm so defensive of the BBC, despite it's current state, it's the first real domino towards us adopting the American system and then we're fucked.

I agree wholeheartedly - I was being sarcastic.

Apart from the bbc bit. You're right to defend the idea of a free and independent BBC, but when you look at the right wing appointments to senior positions in the news and current affairs departments, you'd have to question how impartial it is at the moment.

Edit: sorry, yes you said 'current state.

4 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I agree wholeheartedly - I was being sarcastic.

Apart from the bbc bit. You're right to defend the idea of a free and independent BBC, but when you look at the right wing appointments to senior positions in the news and current affairs departments, you'd have to question how impartial it is at the moment.

That's why i added 'In its current state' it's being dismantled from within and the left are complicit as they are getting angry at the BBC and not the cunts doing the real damage.

8 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Sames happening down here in Australia too. Liberals (Tories) have been gutting the ABC at every opportunity.

Kraken nut job Lin Wood has been suspended from Twitter but is still bang at it on Parler.

ErGau5tXAAEPKPx?format=jpg&name=medium

ErGau6KXAAIRBkF?format=jpg&name=large

If anyone is wandering what the second post is referring to, there is a batshit rumour on Parler that Trump has retreated to a bunker/command control centre on a Texas Air Force Base to send in the army to arrest Congress, the Senate, Pence, and anyone else they don’t like.

15 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Kraken nut job Lin Wood has been suspended from Twitter but is still bang at it on Parler.

ErGau5tXAAEPKPx?format=jpg&name=medium

ErGau6KXAAIRBkF?format=jpg&name=large

If anyone is wandering what the second post is referring to, there is a batshit rumour on Parler that Trump has retreated to a bunker/command control centre on a Texas Air Force Base to send in the army to arrest Congress, the Senate, Pence, and anyone else they don’t like.

I find the attempted coup extremely worrying.  However it pales into insignificance when I see that you’ve put wandering instead of wondering. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Brownie said:

No, they won’t go away or be scared off by it. But if you do nothing, then you set a precedent that the President can do what he wants without being held to account.

If you think that’s a reasonable thing, then fair enough but I don’t.

There has to be consequences for this kind of stuff otherwise it becomes normalised and accepted, which will lead to it happening again or even worse.

I’ve been saying for years that he needs removing or people will die in his name. Some said it was hysterical but now it’s happened. If he’s allowed to get away with it, then worse is yet to come.

Reagan sold arms to Iran while backing Iraq, in a war between the two.

That sort of double dealing shit, done purely in the interests of America, was at the cost of many more thousands of innocent lives, halfway across the world, than fuckwit Trump will ever be responsible for.

"Worse" is a precedent, set well before The Apprentice.

Indeed, when it comes to cunt US Presidents, Trump is an apprentice.

But still, yeah, burn him.  I'm certainly not a fan.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, skaro said:

That sort of double dealing shit, done purely in the interests of America, was at the cost of many more thousands of innocent lives, halfway across the world, than fuckwit Trump will ever be responsible for.

You’re bringing stuff up that isn’t relevant to what i’m saying.

9 minutes ago, skaro said:

Agreed. Polls showed Bernie Sanders miles ahead of Trump in the election before last. The yanks had had enough of hawkish Clinton and Trump offered an alternative. If the Democrats had played fair and given Saunders his chance their would be no Trump presidency. As over here and as over France centre ground Democrats have a lot to answer for, they refuse to back their man and open the door to the extremist candidate. Anyone remotely left wing spooks them.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

All we hear is

Radio Bubba