You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

25 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

To pinch one of Trump's lines. Maybe they'd be happier somewhere else?

There's always been a train of thought that the US is to big to be governed as one country. Maybe this is the chance to test it. Let Trump and all his followers move to a place where they can just get on with it.

It'd make great television.

18 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Giuliani and the Dumb and Dumber sisters up against Berke.

Oof.

Isn't he self isolating after his son got the virus ? Or will it have ended before this kicks off ? 

On 20/11/2020 at 17:01, Code said:

Im going to be in the panel in a debate about social media, and how it can influence elections on Wednesday.

Will be interesting, and Ill have a job trying to make the audience and viewers to understand that Im not a populist, while explaining how dangerous populists are. 

How long did it take you to turn the debate into a list of reasons why Pink should have been in the Greatest Female Tournament? 

3 minutes ago, M_B said:

It's all simmering for civil war to begin on Dec 14th or Jan 6th. 

I am genuinely interested in how you see this. I agree there could be some serious problems but how do you see a civil war stacking up?

You think the military is going to side with Trump??

Local law enforcement will somehow spilt into two different camps?

As much as the Civil War was defined by ideology it was very clearly framed by geography. You think neighbors are going to start shooting at each other?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am genuinely interested in how you see this. I agree there could be some serious problems but how do you see a civil war stacking up?

You think the military is going to side with Trump??

Local law enforcement will somehow spilt into two different camps?

As much as the Civil War was defined by ideology it was very clearly framed by geography. You think neighbors are going to start shooting at each other?

It’d be pretty friken cool, bro, as this year’s been dull as shit, bro.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am genuinely interested in how you see this.

Trump isn't interested in winning court cases - that much is clear.

He's interested in framing the election as fraudulent. If he can maintain that headline, then he can attempt to persuade the state electors to vote for him on Dec 14th.

If that fails then he'll try to convince congress members to vote for him on the 6th, and if nobody reaches 270 then it'll go to the Supreme Court - which is in his favour.

If he manages to do either of those, America will face a democratic crisis that it has never seen before. And folks will take to the streets. But for him to have any chance of winning, he has to keep pushing the idea the election was rigged.

5 minutes ago, M_B said:

And folks will take to the streets. 

Well they have been doing that for 6 months. That is a far cry from Civil War.

The other stuff I agree with but there are nowhere near enough state electors that will go down that route. He would need three or four different sets of state reps to all do it. The first set he had through his doors  (MI) have already told him to fuck off. GA has already certified.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Well they have been doing that for 6 months. That is a far cry from Civil War.

The other stuff I agree with but there are nowhere near enough state electors that will go down that route. He would need three or four different sets of state reps to all do it. The first set he had through his doors  (MI) have already told him to fuck off. GA has already certified.

Yeah hope you're right.

But you can see his strategy. The court cases are irrelevant - the more Americans who believe the election was rigged then the more the state\congress electors will have confidence to back Trump. You have to pray they value democracy above Trump's narcissism.

2 minutes ago, M_B said:

Yeah hope you're right.

But you can see his strategy. The court cases are irrelevant - the more Americans who believe the election was rigged then the more the state\congress electors will have confidence to back Trump. You have to pray they value democracy above Trump's narcissism.

The fella from GA is a die hard Republican and an avowed Trump supporter who has been getting death threats and he seemed to be able to do his job. TBH I don't think more people are believing the election was rigged as the days go by - I think less are and the more court cases that are brought and tossed out (many times by Republican judges, a fair few appointed by Trump himself) is a big part of it.

The same 36% who believed it a week ago will always believe it. They also still believe Obama wasn't born in this country.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Tucker is now under the bus.  Obviously he’s a paedo for criticising Trump.  

Expect RP to come along and say there’s no evidence he isn’t. 

Carlsons defence in court once was genuinely ‘well, no idiot would take me seriously, so obviously you can’t hold me accountable’

Amazing.

• Upvote 1

There is this idea that Trump is testing Democracy - I don't really see it. Barr helped him push the limits of Executive power but that is part of the Democracy.

I think he is testing the Republican party far more than Democracy.

Let's face it - any President has very few meaningful unilateral powers.

His biggest moves have been reducing troops abroad - ironically the only thing McConell and Graham have come out and opposed. The Justices were done in hand with the Senate. The trade stuff is somewhat secondary as well - there is a global market that operates above any single Gubmint.

Basically he has kept folks with short attention spans occupied while the Republicans try to figure out how to keep their bucket full.