You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Some of the talking heads from the states have been brilliant, they shit all over our political commentators. 

I know it's been said a lot in this thread but the CNN coverage this week has been absolutely outstanding. They have addressed things that our political commentators wouldn't even begin to discuss. It's been passionate and fiery at times but comes across as sincere and that overall they want what is best for their country, even if they don't all agree on the exact policies to achieve that.

Our media is a disgrace in comparison, to be frank.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Brownie said:

I know it's been said a lot in this thread but the CNN coverage this week has been absolutely outstanding. They have addressed things that our political commentators wouldn't even begin to discuss. It's been passionate and fiery at times but comes across as sincere and that overall they want what is best for their country, even if they don't all agree on the exact policies to achieve that.

Our media is a disgrace in comparison, to be frank.

There's been a few on Sky today and they seem like pretty decent folks as well as inciteful and sharp. 

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Some of the talking heads from the states have been brilliant, they shit all over our political commentators. 

Yeah its been a bit of an eye opener. In this country someone like Grayling can fuck up time after time after time, still go on a political programme and have his balls caressed and be spoken to like he's an expert. Nobody will show passion  to billions of pounds being siphoned off into private hands that are not qualified to deal with the contracts,  its just a case of how can I get a politician to trip up say some words that will create a headline no matter the context. Give me a yes no answer to a complex situation and how much is a pint of milk you prick.

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Yeah its been a bit of an eye opener. In this country someone like Grayling can fuck up time after time after time, still go on a political programme and have his balls caressed and be spoken to like he's an expert. Nobody will show passion  to billions of pounds being siphoned off into private hands that are not qualified to deal with the contracts,  its just a case of how can I get a politician to trip up say some words that will create a headline no matter the context. Give me a yes no answer to a complex situation and how much is a pint of milk you prick.

It's interesting how there doesn't seem to be an industry of scrutiny around British politics either. Over there it seems like it's an actual full time career that attracts people from different backgrounds. As you say, over here it's Dimbleby, dimbleby, dimbleby junior and Jeffrey archer. 

I suspect they don't really want anyone scrutinising how shit they are.

59 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Giuliani's mental decline is a sight to behold, has anyone ever lost the plot so quickly and publicly? 

Got to be honest, I'd never heard of him until the 9/11 attacks and I'd bet still never would have if it hadn't happened.

I think 9/11 is still so fresh in everyone's minds, it's one of those events we have to remind ourselves happened neigh on 20 years ago. The difference in how Giuliani was back then to how he seems now is quite extreme.

Wonder how much he's earned on the back of being the POTUS lawyer ? 

Anyway, back in the land of Trump.

31 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Trump will be in an orange jumpsuit on January 21st.

The colour of the suit's ironic really isn't it?

What’s ironic is his skin tone will no longer be orange yet his clothing will be. 

It's really terrifying how close America came to the brink with a second Trump tenure. I don't think a lot of people who don't follow politics looked beyond his Tweeting and crass stupidity to fully understand the scale of the havoc he was wreaking on its institutions. He was essentially hollowing out its civil service and replacing everyone based on their own personal loyalty to him, rather than their abilities or standing in their professions. You'd have essentially had a State department incapable of doing its job but would be stacked to the rafters with bell hops from his golf resorts. 

People don't often get how important America is to things like Britain's national security, so it's essential that things like its intelligence agencies are functioning properly. 

There's also the hugely destructive idea that 'truth doesn't matter', science and facts don't matter, all that matters is what I tell you and wishful thinking. I mean as rabbit holes go, that takes you all the way to the end of humanity, pure and simple. No institution, organisation or social construct, let alone a country, can survive when people will willingly suspend belief in their eyes and ears, that's Poundshop 1984 territory. 

He's undoubtedly the most malignant political force to have governed a Western nation in any of our lifetimes, possibly far longer. 

This was a Stalingrad moment, and thankfully we're all now relaxing amid the ruins of the Tractor factory eating borscht while Yevgeny plays the Tetris theme on the accordion, while bloodied members of the Wehrmacht are paraded past to catch a train to the Stalag for a date with some nettle soup and NKVD electrodes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's really terrifying how close America came to the brink with a second Trump tenure. I don't think a lot of people who don't follow politics looked beyond his Tweeting and crass stupidity to fully understand the scale of the havoc he was wreaking on its institutions. He was essentially hollowing out its civil service and replacing everyone based on their own personal loyalty to him, rather than their abilities or standing in their professions. You'd have essentially had a State department incapable of doing its job but would be stacked to the rafters with bell hops from his golf resorts. 

dominiccummings211219-0.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

If Malania bins him and agrees to do Playboy we know America is back.

I'd love a go I really would. I reckon shed be unreal in bed. Wonder how many marines/secret service have lifted her in the White House. I bet she walks round the corridors in a silk robe giving them all the wink while gammon head is frantically tweeting and eating maccies. I've thought that for ages.