You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, M_B said:

Both Fox and CNN are coming to the conclusion that ballot votes might just swing it for Biden.

So the nightmare scenario is that Trump takes it to the Supreme Court to get their count stopped. A court which he now controls thanks to the recent appointment.

That could make things very ugly indeed.

He would have  to have a valid Complaint, reason,whatever. Something he does not have. 

What's the argument going to be in the SCOTUS anyway? 

"We fully acknowledge that these votes were cast in time and using legitimate means of voting, but they shouldn't be counted at all because they weren't counted by some arbitrary cut off point that we've pulled out of arse to increase the chance of our guy winning."

Surely the SCOTUS wouldn't entertain such a case, even if it's loaded in Trump's favour? 

Have thought over the last few years that Trump could cause a civil war in America.

Given how close this will be in the remaining states and many states have literally been decided by a knifeedge, I can't see how this doesn't end in serious strife at the very least and outright civil war in the coming months in a worst case scenario. If he wins through having control of the highest court in the land, it's game over and all bets are off. 

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Have thought over the last few years that Trump could cause a civil war in America.

Given how close this will be in the remaining states and many states have literally been decided by a knifeedge, I can't see how this doesn't end in serious strife at the very least and outright civil war in the coming months in a worst case scenario. If he wins through having control of the highest court in the land, it's game over and all bets are off. 

You won’t get civil war in America ever again.  The government are too powerful and the population are too comfortable.  You will see protests and even really violent ones but it will never materialise into anything more than that.

5 minutes ago, The Guest said:

You won’t get civil war in America ever again.  The government are too powerful and the population are too comfortable.  You will see protests and even really violent ones but it will never materialise into anything more than that.

Fair points but I would wager that almost all of his supporters would support him refusing to leave the White House. Once the breakdown of democracy happens, all bets are off.  Hard to say the majority of Republicans - he is not liked by the traditional Republicans but many may just go along with him out of fear of personal retribution.

Trump and his family have essentially taken over the Republican party. The old pillars of that party have basically been swamped by Trump. He has brought in millions of traditional non-voters into the party who don't have any liking for the Bush's or Cheney's of this world (i don't either to be fair). The problem is they support the cult of personality of Trump. They will do anything for him and that's my fear.

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I think you’re in business Bobby. Quite the scare and closer than everyone thought but the postal votes look almost nailed on to tip it in Biden’s favour now. 

Wish I shared your confidence - its a big gap in Michigan.

37 minutes ago, M_B said:

Both Fox and CNN are coming to the conclusion that ballot votes might just swing it for Biden.

So the nightmare scenario is that Trump takes it to the Supreme Court to get their count stopped. A court which he now controls thanks to the recent appointment.

That could make things very ugly indeed.

Does it not have to go through district courts etc before any case reaches the Supreme Court?