You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Seems mad that there's a 2 month gap to the new inauguration. If Biden wins could Trump get up to all sorts of fuckery before he assumes power?

He'll have all the artwork and expensive furniture pilfered before leaving behind a massive turd on the floor of the presidential suite.

Then they'll have to drag him out.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Seems mad that there's a 2 month gap to the new inauguration. If Biden wins could Trump get up to all sorts of fuckery before he assumes power?

Some of the shit that Clinton passed wasn’t even borderline criminal.

They get a free hit to initiate, frustrate, or placate. 

Strange system.

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Some of the shit that Clinton passed wasn’t even borderline criminal.

They get a free hit to initiate, frustrate, or placate. 

Strange system.

What did Clinton get up to? Sorry, I haven't paid any attention to US politics for donkey's years as it's usually dull as fuck. This could genuinely be an historic tipping point away from the bollocks of 2010/ 2016 onwards though.

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

What did Clinton get up to? Sorry, I haven't paid any attention to US politics for donkey's years as it's usually dull as fuck. This could genuinely be an historic tipping point away from the bollocks of 2010/ 2016 onwards though.

This is the rule...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_regulations

A lot of ‘friends’ got paid with some of the changes made, I read about it years ago, but can’t remember where. I’ll keep looking and dig it out, but I remember Naomi Kline doing work around it.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

It was like 400 pardons on the last day he was in office. Really it was Rich, the guy from Chicago and his brother for a drug offense.

He didn't try to pardon himself or folks in his immediate gubmint circle.

Wasn’t there some stuff about regulations being lifted where he/they had interests?

Again, I might be wrong but I remember reading about it years ago and being flabbergasted by the weird loophole. 

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

This is the rule...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_regulations

A lot of ‘friends’ got paid with some of the changes made, I read about it years ago, but can’t remember where. I’ll keep looking and dig it out, but I remember Naomi Kline doing work around it.

Christ, it's like an arms race to see which outgoing administration can be bigger cunts to their replacements.

Trump's going to be an utterly spiteful cunt, isn't he?

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Someone posted earlier apparently trump only has a 10% chance of winning. As a.sober reminder, I've just put on Fahrenheit 11/9 as I've never watched it. Within the first few.minite the mention the NY times on election eve had claimed he had only a 15% chance of winning.

They have massively adjusted the polls because of a glaring error they had regarding education, apparently.

The current polls include that and are apparently on the cautious side as a result.

I reckon there’s more chance of a landslide for Biden than Trump winning.

23 minutes ago, Brownie said:

They have massively adjusted the polls because of a glaring error they had regarding education, apparently.

The current polls include that and are apparently on the cautious side as a result.

Hope you're right. 

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

Same, with the proviso that suppression of mail votes and a Trump friendly Scotus could negate the polls to an unknown extent. 

Still, I’m expecting Biden to win. I don’t think it’s helpful to look at 2016 any more than it was to look at 2017 in the last UK GE. 

Some people thought maybe Corbyn could pull off a shock last time when the truth was they’d sorted out any polling errors from the last time and the polls were accurate. I’m hoping it’s the same now in the US election, and I think it’s more likely pollsters may be over counting support for Trump rather than underestimating his support again. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Someone posted earlier apparently trump only has a 10% chance of winning. As a.sober reminder, I've just put on Fahrenheit 11/9 as I've never watched it. Within the first few.minite the mention the NY times on election eve had claimed he had only a 15% chance of winning.

Just to add to the previous posts, the polls narrowed sharply in the last week or so and I think Trump ended up with a 35%+ chance of winning the election according to some sites- there's no sign of that happening now. They were also fairly accurate, Clinton ended up a couple of points ahead in the popular vote, but as little as 100K votes sunk her in states she'd neglected as they were considered safe- Trump was amazingly lucky in the states he picked up.

Again, there's no real sign of that now, Biden's leading in the rust belt states that she lost, and also has a reasonable chance of making some remarkable gains in states previously thought off limits. The big turnout also looks very promising too, it really does look like a surge towards the Democrats. Just hope that they don't get complacent in the last few days and really make sure people vote. If Trump wins from here, there really is no hope for the US, and probably humanity.

18 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

With McConnell still at the head you can be sure there will be no federal judge vacancies unfilled.

And like clockwork, here he is today:

The leader's assertion makes clear that judicial confirmations will be a high priority, regardless of the election results.

“We’re going to run through the tape. We go through the end of the year, and so does the president. We’re going to fill the 7th Circuit, and I’m hoping we have time to fill the 1st Circuit as well,” McConnell told conservative talk radio host Hugh Hewitt.

“And we are, by the way, confirming a district judge as soon as we get back after the election, and we’re going to clean the plate, clean all the district judges off as well,” McConnell said.