You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Hank Williams vs Ozzy Osbourne

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Hank Williams vs Ozzy Osbourne  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - Hank Williams vs Ozzy Osbourne

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/10/20 at 07:44

Ozzy.  Simply for his off stage behavior!

How many other people can you think of that have snorted ants, licked their own piss off the ground, dressed in women's clothing to go out because his wife has hidden all his to stop him going out, pissed on a sacred monument and gotten banned from the city,  bitten the head of a bat because he thought it was fake. 

38 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

We're back into Bob Dylan vs. Shakin' Stevens territory with this one.

Pioneering genius vs. Pantomime dame.

I'm not sure Randy Rhoads would've played with Shakin' Stevens.

Having said that, Ozzy's solo stuff was poor, I'm not a country fan either so abstain on this for me.

Hank was terrific, another prolific songwriter, they reckon Move it on Over was probably the first rock'n'roll song, some say it could of been a Fats Domino track? 

Doesn't Neil Young own his guitar and done a track From Hank to Jimi? 

Deffo a semi finalist if not the final. The Lost Highway is superb. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Hank was terrific, another prolific songwriter, they reckon Move it on Over was probably the first rock'n'roll song, some say it could of been a Fats Domino track? 

Deffo a semi finalist if not the final. The Lost Highway is superb. 

Rocket 88 is widely thought to be the first rock & roll record.

Recorded in 1951 it was credited to Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats, although it was actually Ike Turner and his Kings of Rhythm.

2 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Recorded in 1951 it was credited to Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats, although it was actually Ike Turner and his Kings of Rhythm.

Righto never knew that, though I think i read something like that about Ike Turner. 

12 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Depends what you class Sister Rosetta Tharpe as really. Mook isn't going to like a woman inventing rock n roll like. 

http://www.openculture.com/2020/02/the-woman-who-invented-rock-n-roll.html

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Depends what you class Sister Rosetta Tharpe as really. Mook isn't going to like a woman inventing rock n roll like. 

http://www.openculture.com/2020/02/the-woman-who-invented-rock-n-roll.html

Good read that.

I knew about Sister Rosetta Tharp and had heard the odd song by her.

I think different people have different ideas, but you can see how influential she was.

Have a little look at the Wikipedia page for Rocket 88, (I tried to link it but my phone wouldn't let me).

4 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Good read that.

I knew about Sister Rosetta Tharp and had heard the odd song by her.

I think different people have different ideas, but you can see how influential she was.

Have a little look at the Wikipedia page for Rocket 88, (I tried to link it but my phone wouldn't let me).

Love the broken amp accidentally making the fuzz tone. Knew about Link Wray and his broken amp but not this one. Broken amps a very important part of musical history. 

22 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

There is no doubt Sister Rosetta Tharpe is a pioneer and one of the first rock n roll stars. These recordings are from 1938 and its all there

What do you mean it's all there? One track is swing and the other is a blues track. Not that it matters too much.

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

Bit of a jaw-dopper when I found it out, but From Hank to Hendrix isn't about Williams, it's about Cliff's mate Marvin, who was a big influence when Neil started playing guitar.

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

There is plenty in them tracks that develop into what is later rock n roll. 

You can take any western swing band and say the same thing about them. There are old tracks of people scatting with words, I guess they invented rap. And so on.