You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sheff Utd (H) - Premier League - 24/10/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

Surprised at the amount of people wanting/hoping Bobby out of the team. It's not scoring coals that has been our biggest problem, but slack pressing. I'm sure Jota can do his bit on that front, but as well as Bobby? Doubtful. It upsets our front three balance as well. If Jota comes in, it'll most likely be at the expense of Mane.

I think both

Salah-Bobby-Mane

Salah-Bobby-Jota

and

Mane-Bobby-Jota

are more likely scenarios than Salah or Mane up the middle. I'm sure we'll see those combinations during the season, but I doubt Klopp took all three off on Wednesday without them starting this game in mind.

If Bobby's out of the team, it'll be Minamino who replaces him.

While I think Jota has shown promise, there's no guarantee he'll click as well with the other wingers as he has with the type of player Firmino (or even Minamino) is. 

• Upvote 1

On 22/10/2020 at 14:08, aRdja said:

4-2-3-1

Adrian; Trent, Matip, Gomez, Robertson; Henderson, Fabinho; Mane, Minamino, Jota; Salah

if Thiago is ready, then he’d come in for Matip and Fab to play CH. 

Someday, just someday you might get your wish. Doubt it'll be anytime soon in an important game though, as it blunts pretty much all our attacking prowess. Maybe in a CL game without our key players where we need to defend a slender lead?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It does, but that may not be a bad thing right now.

My opinion -- Mane would be near unplayable through the middle and would press equally to Firmino, a much better option than when we stick Salah there.

But do you want Mané further from the goal? Logically, Minamino is the Firmino alternative, not Jota.

Jota - Mané - Salah is just different tactically than when Firmino is there. It's pure counter attack. 

I don't think it moves him farther away from goal on the whole - he tracks back to fullback regularly on the wing.

It does change the position where he gets some of his touches.

Minamino is not really the obvious choice, it is only because of where he has got the most minutes recently with us that would make you say that.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't think it moves him farther away from goal on the whole - he tracks back to fullback regularly on the wing.

It does change the position where he gets some of his touches.

Minamino is not really the obvious choice, it is only because of where he has got the most minutes recently with us that would make you say that.

Minamino is very much the obvious choice if we want to keep the usual shape of having wide forwards and a false 9. Whether we should want that when Firmino doesn't play or is off form, is another discussion.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Minamino is very much the obvious choice if we want to keep the usual shape of having wide forwards and a false 9

Based on where he has played effectively throughout his career, and really, even with us, he is not that.

That is before you get to the fact that he can't hit the broad side of a barn with a banjo.

He is willing to chase folks around.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Based on where he has played effectively throughout his career, and really, even with us, he is not that.

That is before you get to the fact that he can't hit the broad side of a barn with a banjo.

He is willing to chase folks around.

Well, neither can Firmino right now and that doesn't seem to matter. Klopp has and will play him through the middle because he doesn't score enough to be a wide forward, so unless we change our shape, he will be the false 9 when he plays. The wingers score the goals in our system.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Well, neither can Firmino right now

Thats the only reason there is a discussion - bringing in another fella who does not and can't press as well would be silly.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The wingers score the goals in our system.

Pretty sure Mane through the middle would find the net and I have 200% more faith in Jota doing the same than Minamino.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Thats the only reason there is a discussion - bringing in another fella who does not and can't press as well would be silly.

Pretty sure Mane through the middle would find the net and I have 200% more faith in Jota doing the same than Minamino.

That's all fair. I have troubling picturing a Jota - Mané - Salah front line that isn't brought about by injury. It's just not the way we've set the team up in recent years. But if it happens, and there's enough creativity in midfield then it could work.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That's all fair. I have troubling picturing a Jota - Mané - Salah front line that isn't brought about by injury. It's just not the way we've set the team up in recent years. 

Yea, it would be a little different. But any change would be not the way we have set up - those three have been ever presnt.

I think it offers more than a Jota-Salah-Mane line and far more than any front three that includes Minamino.

Salah just gets lost in the channels when he plays upfront as he still ends up being the furthest forward - he is the least like Firmino when playing through the middle.

Mane picking up the ball deeper and running at folks would scare the bejesus out of 90% of defenders in the league

but I think Klopp values his defensive tracking on the wing too much to make that change.

Is this really PPV? 

Fucking hell.

I didn’t hunt down websites like https://www.usagoals.net/b/football.html to report to the Federales for nothing. Scum like this will broadcast games for free. I can’t believe by clicking on the above link you’ll be denying multinational conglomerate’s the completely reasonable amount of £15, on top of your already in no way extortionate bill, to watch something that in no way should be a reasonable expectation of your existing contract. 

Scum.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, the chimp said:

Stream it and send money to foodbanks seems to be the way to go. Show Sky and whoever they can't get away with charging what they are.

This.^^^

Normally I'd just stream it anyway, but a foodbank donation helps people and sends a massive "fuck you" to the greedy cunts in charge. Absolute bargain at £15.

• Upvote 1