You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Eminem vs Marvin Gaye

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Eminem vs Marvin Gaye  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Eminem vs Marvin Gaye

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/10/20 at 13:26

5 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Anyone can rap, not anyone can sing. Rap is painful, but like I said if that's what you like, who am I to argue. 

Anyone can rap badly, yes. About as well as anyone can sing badly. Both take talent. 

The Sugarhill Gang was over 40 years ago, get over it. 

I voted Marvin of course. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Eminem is a great in the rap world. Genius of his field. Not quite 2Pac but still superb. The Marshall Mathers LP was and is a superb album. 

Any suggestion that he gets a vote above Marvin Gaye is just ridiculous 

Tupac was a great songwriter but as a rapper he’s quite far from Eminem. I like Tupac, but he’s not up there with Em (best lyricist) or Biggie (best flow). 

Eminem and Biggie are both way more talented than Marv, I reckon. Seriously, people (not you, obviously) need to learn about Eminem and what rap is about. 

36 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Not in the top 50 rappers? Name them. After about ten, you’ll got ‘oh... that’s was stupid’. 

No I wouldn't. I can assure you there are 50 rappers I prefer to Eminem, given I listen to hip hop more than any other genre but haven't willingly listened to him in 20 years.

As I said in my follow up post, I was being facetious in that he's clearly in the 50 most important rappers of all time (and deserving of a place in this competition) but I happen to hate his music and his voice. Personal preference, that's all.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Tupac was a great songwriter but as a rapper he’s quite far from Eminem. I like Tupac, but he’s not up there with Em (best lyricist) or Biggie (best flow). 

Eminem and Biggie are both way more talented than Marv, I reckon. Seriously, people (not you, obviously) need to learn about Eminem and what rap is about. 

Nah 2pac over both for me. Better rapper and a far better songwriter.

29 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Mate, it’s not just a load of twats shouting obscenities. Eminem is genuinely as talented as John Keats or Edgar Allen Poe, more so actually. He’s Shakespeare of his age. 

He's no LL Cool J