Quantcast
New European super league? - Page 5 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
1892-LFCWasBorn

New European super league?

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

As much as I'd love to piss off all the horrible bastards out there, I don't like this at all.

I actually would prefer if some really historic clubs like Ajax, Benfica, Celtic or some of those legendary Eastern European teams became forces again. I don't like the current format where it is pretty much the same 12 teams in the quarter final every year. It's a rarity that countries like Hungary and Bulgaria qualify anyone these days.

They need to find a way of spreading the wealth not keeping it in the hands of the same  lucky few. I know say Rangers and Celtic, or Levski Sofia say are shit but I'd much rather play them in a group game than the 4th team of Spain.

Clubs like Celtic, Ajax and Benfica could be every bit as big a club anyone else if they were in this. Who wouldn't want to play for Ajax if the standard of opposition was as good as the PL for example? A top player would rather live in Amsterdam or Lisbon than Manchester if the pay and chance of success were equal.

12 minutes ago, No2 said:

Clubs like Celtic, Ajax and Benfica could be every bit as big a club anyone else if they were in this. Who wouldn't want to play for Ajax if the standard of opposition was as good as the PL for example? A top player would rather live in Amsterdam or Lisbon than Manchester if the pay and chance of success were equal.

Fair point that. 

23 minutes ago, No2 said:

Exactly. Half the glamour and attraction in something like this would be making it a truly European league. 

57 minutes ago, KevieG said:

Exactly. Half the glamour and attraction in something like this would be making it a truly European league. 

True, get Eintracht Frankfurt, Ferencvaros and St Etienne in the group of death.

3 hours ago, No2 said:

surely though it won't replace domestic football. so while ajax will be wealthier, they won't have as much money as the teams in the top 5 leagues. and i guess it will make the dutch league less competitive. 

Whilst I can't say I'm massively enamoured with another nail being enthusiastically hammered into the coffin of the sport I love, these days I'm increasingly thinking "fuck it" a la Stronts above.

Seeing social media and the joy that loads of fans are taking from Virgil's injury, taking the piss out of us for showing any kind of concern, digging up completely unrelated injuries players have incurred from challenges with our players and then resorting to tired old bollocks like "outraged by everything", "always the victims" and so on, I really don't give two shiny shites about football in this country, followed as it is by pondlife and tedious little fucking virgins. We're one of the biggest draws in the league and we have to share everything that comes with that interest with clubs whose fanbases despise us and revel in our misfortune.

And when we recently suggested proposals that would distribute money more evenly with the lower tiers of the game, we were blocked by teams who wanted to share less - and yet they're the ones portrayed as Robin Hoods of the game. The game in this country is populated entirely by tribal fuckwits who don't give a shit about us but want a share of the gravy train proceeds. Fuck them all.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Can't say I'm happy with the idea but, in the words of Harry Enfield's Tory Boy character, its better to be on the inside pissing out, than trying to be on the outside pissing in. 

36 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Can't say I'm happy with the idea but, in the words of Harry Enfield's Tory Boy character, its better to be on the inside pissing out, than trying to be on the outside pissing in. 

I think king Kenny was using that phrase well before Tory boy. 

I think the club should be all over this. It's going to happen one way or the other and better to be on the inside looking out than the outside looking in.

Use the Premier League for our B team. Lets the cunts have fun with VAR then. 

And it would be far more interesting to play the likes of a resurgent Ajax, Celtic, etc than playing the fucking orks of this league and the pathetic supporters that come along with it. 

13 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

You are batshit Dave - in any case I don't think this endeavor has legs without LFC being involved.

It does if 5 others from the pl say yes.

• Upvote 1

Article in The Athletic today basically saying the story is bollocks. 

Apparently UEFA wrote to clubs on Monday that CL & EL prize money will be reduced for the next 4 seasons and the next day, this story came out. Similar to how it does every time the big clubs are told they’ll be losing out on money. 

They reckon the CL will be expanded from 32 to 36 teams in its next re-format and clubs will play more games in the group stages.