You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New European super league?

1892-LFCWasBorn

Think it's inevitable after the universal condemnation lead by that fat cunt martin samuel. The cunt's on a crusade and yet again, he's lambasting the 'big 6' over that Project Big Picture and the leeds chairman mouthing off.

Bet the cunt doesnt exclude himself from any jollies to report on games in this European League if it did come to pass.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Watching Sky Sports news at the moment and the guy on who broke the story is on there.

34 games a season midweek. What the fuck?

Didn’t know that, so our League would basically become the Carabao League, playing the youth teams. And our weekends watching quality footy would be gone. What a crock of shit that’d be.

Can't see the Premier league being happy with this so it looks like we're going to get shafted by VAR again on Saturday.

Not in favour of this obviously but it's quite funny seeing rival fans on Twitter slagging us off saying we are ruining football yet the same cunts wanted last season null and void as it would have been "dead funny" for us to miss out

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Watching Sky Sports news at the moment and the guy on who broke the story is on there.

34 games a season with a tournament at the end.

Is the idea this is on top of the usual League games 38 - League up - FA Cup and Champions league matches ?

If so I'd say Klopp would be dead set against it as he's always advocating players needing more of a break - also thats not even going into international matches 

2 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Is the idea this is on top of the usual League games 38 - League up - FA Cup and Champions league matches ?

If so I'd say Klopp would be dead set against it as he's always advocating players needing more of a break - also thats not even going into international matches 

No way could you play in our league and that as well be far too many games

15 minutes ago, Mark M said:

From the way said it goodbye Premier League.

EDIT. Scrap that. To be played midweek.

I think Liverpool and the Mancs knew that Project Big Picture would be met with scepticism and dissent, so this has leaked as their next salvo to get the PL, FA and EFL to talk about the future of the domestic game properly. The two club have by far the biggest pull of any English sides, and they know the PL and the FA need them.

In any case, the trouble with a competition where the big European sides play each other every week is that it will quickly lose its lustre, because the very fixtures that are currently so attractive and draw all the interest will become so much more mundane. In the current CL format, the bigger sides are quite likely to meet every year, but there are a lot of games against teams who don't have that same pull. For competitive interest, the balance is necessary.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Trumo said:

I think Liverpool and the Mancs knew that Project Big Picture would be met with scepticism and dissent, so this has leaked as their next salvo to get the PL, FA and EFL to talk about the future of the domestic game properly. The two club have by far the biggest pull of any English sides, and they know the PL and the FA need them.

In any case, the trouble with a competition where the big European sides play each other every week is that it will quickly lose its lustre, because the very fixtures that are currently so attractive and draw all the interest will become so much more mundane. In the current CL format, the bigger sides are quite likely to meet every year, but there are a lot of games against teams who don't have that same pull. For competitive interest, the balance is necessary.

I think there’s more to it than this.  People watch the premier league all over the world and there’s plenty of no mark teams here.  Even after the original buzz wears off it would still be interesting and more even/fair than any of the domestic leagues are now.  The natural reaction is to not want this but football is fucked as it stands.  Look at the state of Germany and Italy and how often their big team just wins the league.  Spain is even more uneven it’s just that there’s 2 Bayern Munich’s.  The premier league has got the most to lose because there’s more competition here but that’s only because the greatest manager in the world has it also in built in him to want a challenge instead of a procession.  In the long run City are just going to buy the league more and more.  It’s got boring.  The champions league is full of meaningless group stage games that are probably bringing in less and less viewers with the same match ups in the later stages becoming more and more common.

I think the most likely outcome is that the cups are fucked off and two leagues are run - the domestic and the European with probably a second European division for the lesser teams.

The European Super League will replace the UEFA Champions League. We won't be ditching the Premier League, that's totally absurd. But the big clubs have been going on about this for years, they're fed up of UEFA making so much money and the clubs feel they should get a bigger share. They've always threatened a breakaway league to force UEFA to handover more prize money. Looks like it's finally going to happen. I can't say I mind too much as long as it's not a closed shop, i.e. teams should only qualify for the super league if they finish in a qualifying position in their domestic league.

Good. The club must be bored of subsiding the likes of Burnley, West Ham, Everton et al. The baying mob of null & voiders. Cast them all back into financial obscurity.